Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInvisible Touch poll!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What is your favorite track from this fine album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.85%]
7 [12.96%]
7 [12.96%]
2 [3.70%]
2 [3.70%]
4 [7.41%]
9 [16.67%]
2 [3.70%]
20 [37.04%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 10:03
An album with some poor moments (Anything She Does is the most annoying thing Genesis did save Who Dunnit) and some of their best moments after Wind and Wuthering). I rank the good ones:

1. Domino (I voted for The Last Domino)
2. The Brazilian
3. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
4. Land of Confusion
5. Invisible Touch

Edited by someone_else - August 22 2010 at 10:03
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 11:18
Although Domino is a single track I thought perhaps voters would like the choice of voting for "part A" or "part B", but some of you are saying that I shouldn't have done this.  The Foxtrot poll did not separate Supper's Ready components into individual voting choices. Perhaps I could have offered both the two individually and a third option as a complete track? Live and learn...
Ouch

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 11:59
Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

Although Domino is a single track I thought perhaps voters would like the choice of voting for "part A" or "part B", but some of you are saying that I shouldn't have done this.  The Foxtrot poll did not separate Supper's Ready components into individual voting choices. Perhaps I could have offered both the two individually and a third option as a complete track? Live and learn...
Ouch

No no, mark my words, people are always complaining LOL If you did them as one track, probably someone would say: why don't you split them? Your choice is quite understandable and defendable.

My choice: The Last Domino. I love the omimous chords and the rhythm behind it.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 12:17
none of the above.
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 17:42
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Ouch

No no, mark my words, people are always complaining LOL If you did them as one track, probably someone would say: why don't you split them? Your choice is quite understandable and defendable.

My choice: The Last Domino. I love the omimous chords and the rhythm behind it.

Thanks. Its really not a big deal. I guess because of my vinyl copy back in the day I didn't have the CD to cue me to know that it was programmed as one track. I only discovered this recently when I bought the CD version from the new Remastered series. 

Plus I was a kid when I bought Invisible Touch (one of my first records actually). I didn't have a clear understanding of the term "progressive rock" back then, I just thought they were two separate songs with elements from each other thrown in.
Confused

Edited by catfood03 - August 22 2010 at 17:43
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 19:52
Invisible Touch, am I really the first to vote for it? Tongue
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 20:42
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

yes you are! and i'm glad someone did, because its one of the better songs on the album, IMHO.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 01:42

yes you are! and i'm glad someone did, because its one of the better songs on the album, IMHO.

Far away from prog, but as a hit single it's quite good.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 02:20
oh, i think I will wote for In to Deep that is just a wonderfull ballad, with a nice bridge, and nice chords, but also some odd-time shifts. And the soothing voice of Phil
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 18:25
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Why is Domino split in two parts in this poll? I regard it as one track, in two parts (not an unfamilar scenario in progressive rock..)

Agree. That`s just a mistake in the poll. Even in the album the track is not divided. Damned by many people, half of the time of this album is not pop rock. Just modern progrock. Domino, Tonight.... and the Brazilian together are almost 25 minutes, and those three songs are far the best for me.

Domino is the highlight, but with the two sections in an only one track, not divided. So I vote for the overall Domino.
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 22:11
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Why is Domino split in two parts in this poll? I regard it as one track, in two parts (not an unfamilar scenario in progressive rock..)

Agree. That`s just a mistake in the poll. Even in the album the track is not divided. Damned by many people, half of the time of this album is not pop rock. Just modern progrock. Domino, Tonight.... and the Brazilian together are almost 25 minutes, and those three songs are far the best for me.

Domino is the highlight, but with the two sections in an only one track, not divided. So I vote for the overall Domino.

yeah, yeah, yeah...  I already addressed this "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't" approach to the Domino track (see above).

Edited by catfood03 - August 23 2010 at 22:11
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 06:38

Not my favorite song.  At the time it was released I was not to pleased with the track however, there are some good moments throughout.  Over the years I have grown to appreciate the song more and more, especially some of the live renditions that I have heard.  I never hated the song, but there was a time when I did not love it.  It will never be in my top 10, 20, or 50 Genesis songs, but overall it is a good track. 
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 06:42

The Gabriel years are good too, but I prefer the Collins era from Trick of the Tail onwards.

I love all eras of Genesis, including the short lived Ray Wilson era.  Gabriel's time with the band was epic,  however if I had to pick between Gabriel led Genesis and Collins led Genesis I would have to go with the Collins era. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 13:59

yeah, yeah, yeah...  I already addressed this "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't" approach to the Domino track (see above).

Here is your PA shrink again. Take a deep breath, stand on your head and repeat to yourself 10 times : I do polls the way I think they are best WinkLOL
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 18:26

I agree, I have always felt that although Genesis became more streamlined in the 80's and 90's they still retained a prog edge. Calling them a pop band never fit for me.  There have always been pop songs on Genesis records, however to call songs like Mama, Abacab, Behind The Lines, Fading Lights, Silver Rainbow, Second Home By The Sea, Duke's Travels, Dodo/Lurker, etc. just does not make sense to me.   
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 19:42
Land of Confusion is very good especially the lyrics.
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 20:09
Originally posted by Guitar Noir Guitar Noir wrote:

Not my favorite song.  At the time it was released I was not to pleased with the track however, there are some good moments throughout.  Over the years I have grown to appreciate the song more and more, especially some of the live renditions that I have heard.  I never hated the song, but there was a time when I did not love it.  It will never be in my top 10, 20, or 50 Genesis songs, but overall it is a good track. 

I once hated that song (as well as In Too Deep and Land of Confusion)... when it was played 100 times a day on radio and on MTV.  Nothing ruins a song (or a band) more for me than overexposure and that was definitely Genesis in the mid-80's.  After years had passed I re-connected with the album and loved the songs again only after I chose to listen to them.

I love all eras of Genesis, including the short lived Ray Wilson era.  Gabriel's time with the band was epic,  however if I had to pick between Gabriel led Genesis and Collins led Genesis I would have to go with the Collins era. 

Me too! I don't care if its an unpopular opinion around these parts to admit loving Collins-era Genesis more than Gabriels's.

Edited by catfood03 - August 24 2010 at 20:17
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Here is your PA shrink again. Take a deep breath, stand on your head and repeat to yourself 10 times : I do polls the way I think they are best WinkLOL

Oh, you are so right! I feel better already! Sleepy

It almost makes me want to start a poll for the self-titled album and combine both Home By the Sea's into one track!  I can imagine what people would say then!
Evil SmileLOLEvil SmileLOLEvil SmileLOL

Edited by catfood03 - August 24 2010 at 20:18
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 20:20

Sorry I did not see what you said above. Anyway for the poll I chose The Last Domino
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 20:25

I love all eras of Genesis, including the short lived Ray Wilson era.

Absolutely agree with that. I love all eras too, but  not prefer once over the other. Just like all by the same way. In my opinion there is not Gabriel, Collins or Wilson eras. Just only one Banks-Rutherford era. Both two (specially Banks) are the true Genesis support.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>