Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFruupp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fruupp
    Posted: August 25 2010 at 15:07
Are there any fruupp fans out there? remember the kursal, southend should have been deep purple, they cancelled our good luck Fruup stood in. Many good memories, yes and Genesis who are they? I'm sure you've heard it before. LONG LIVE FRUUPP!
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 15:51

ahhh, Fruupp!!! Great band!!

I own Prince of Heaven's Eyes and Modern Masquerades: different but both delightful!!
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 15:53
Fruupp are a wonderful band. Love all their albums especially Future legends. There very underrated on this website with generally mediocre reviews but to me there one of the best symphonic Prog bands. And it has nothing to do with the fact that they were really the only real prog band of the classic era my country produced {but thats not to take away the charms of Mellow Candle who seems more acid folk than prog}. 
My favourite song of theirs is ''On a Clear Day'' which you can find on the album ''It's All Up Now: The Anthology'' which is the best place for beginnings to start.

Edited by Adams Bolero - August 25 2010 at 15:57
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 16:34
Years ago when I was juuust beginning to get into prog someone recommended Fruupp to me, saying they were "the best band you've never heard of". It was a fine recommendation, and I listened to all their albums inside out before moving on to musical pastures new. It's been years since I've given them a whirl, but I think I shall have to dig out an album or two very soon! Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 17:45
Hi,

Mystery Might!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 18:24
^^^

agree, ehe heheh

I'm listening to Sheba' Song (1975) right now... their swan song (fans of Barclay James Harvest and their 1976's Rock and Roll Star should know why...).

Edited by Andrea Cortese - August 25 2010 at 18:27
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 19:40
Albums titles we'd like to see:
Founder of KC as a guest with them:
"Fripp Plays Fruup".
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 06:37
Mmmm... I got The Prince Of Heaven's Eyes recently and didn't like it all that much, but I'm willing to give them another try.

What other album should I look for?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 06:51
I don't like their music.
I don't think anyone should bother with them, there are far superior prog bands.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 11:42

Fruupp makes me so frustrated !! I would like/love to love their albums. But they are only a second rate symph prog band........ and I am afraid that's the truth. Their first two albums was good. Their third album decent. Their fourth album was gruesome. 

I am so fruupping frustrated !

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - August 26 2010 at 11:47
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 13:53
Originally posted by June June wrote:

Mmmm... I got The Prince Of Heaven's Eyes recently and didn't like it all that much, but I'm willing to give them another try.

What other album should I look for?

I have 2 CD's ... and when I listen to them ... I really think that what is missing is a good producer to help them get their sound and work out properly. As it is, from my listens, it sounds ok, but often untogether and probably rushed and not mixed correctly, if not mastered correctly, and I have a feeling that the band simply could not afford it.

It sounds ambitious and honest. It's the rest that is simply missing it seems, and in the end it makes it sound "incomplete" ... but some stuff comes off very nicely. "Mystery Might" is one such example.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
masquerader View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 14:29

it  would seem i have opened a whole progresive can of worms having mentioned fruuupp . im sure that had any one had the good futune to see them live they would have had a different view ? or maybe i am slightly biased having seen them some thirteen times  .its not just about opening your ears . try opening your minds ???Rawks

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 14:47

If anyone here knows the Fruupp members and have contact details, I would absolute love to do an interview with them for ProgArchives. This is actually on my top 5 list of wishes for this year. Please, please..........

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 16:18
I can understand why Fruupp are not everybody's cup of tea but for me they're ok. Soft "Genesis" prog, romantic, delicate, never loud nor vitruoso. Pleasant listening. That's the matter.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - August 26 2010 at 16:22
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

If anyone here knows the Fruupp members and have contact details, I would absolute love to do an interview with them for ProgArchives. This is actually on my top 5 list of wishes for this year. Please, please..........

Don't let them see this thread, if you manage to do so... Shocked
Epyros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 14:51
all their cds are awesome to me, does anyone know any band with this style??????
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 15:22
Originally posted by June June wrote:

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Don't let them see this thread, if you manage to do so... Shocked

On contrary, they would be very happy to see that someone cares enough about their music to critisise and praise it. The worst enemy of us authors and musicians is apathy. Apathy is the devil incarnated. Would you like to walk into a large hall full of people where nobody looks at you and nobody acknowledge you as a human being ? Off course not. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 15:32
Originally posted by Epyros Epyros wrote:

all their cds are awesome to me, does anyone know any band with this style??????

There are a lot of them out there ... that mix folk and other influences into their work.

Much better defined and stronger, is ANGE, the French band, and you want to check out their first 6 or 7 albums. Unlike many other bands, they stayed with the style and abilities and they have a magnificent actor for a singer and leader.

All in all, that style was too difficult for most bands, and specially for today's type of players that rely on DAW's so much ... it would be impossible to create so much off beat and time stuff in a DAW that can only count and is trying to match everything up to an invisible counter and take out the freedom of expression that so many of these bands displayed. That freedom of expression bent the music to its will ... and that is the strength that always creates new music.

Unlike many other bands, ANGE was also much more literary influenced and written, whereas other bands kinda doodled with it and quit. Marillion stopped once Fish left and just became a nice rock band, Peter Gabriel got saddened and disappointed with the reaction to The Lamb, and left and dropped the customery just about altogether, Gryphon stuck with it, however, since it was all instrumental, it could not "tell you a story", which means that you are not going to see it listed here ... and it is massively more progressive musically than most bands! I always thought that PFM kinda fit into this mold until they gave up and broke up ... and started replacing their people with excellent vocals by others ... and they lost the excellently eccentric vocals and humor qualities that it had before ...

Edited by moshkito - August 30 2010 at 15:34
www.pedrosena.com
Epyros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 18:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Epyros Epyros wrote:

There are a lot of them out there ... that mix folk and other influences into their work.

Much better defined and stronger, is ANGE, the French band, and you want to check out their first 6 or 7 albums. Unlike many other bands, they stayed with the style and abilities and they have a magnificent actor for a singer and leader.

All in all, that style was too difficult for most bands, and specially for today's type of players that rely on DAW's so much ... it would be impossible to create so much off beat and time stuff in a DAW that can only count and is trying to match everything up to an invisible counter and take out the freedom of expression that so many of these bands displayed. That freedom of expression bent the music to its will ... and that is the strength that always creates new music.

Unlike many other bands, ANGE was also much more literary influenced and written, whereas other bands kinda doodled with it and quit. Marillion stopped once Fish left and just became a nice rock band, Peter Gabriel got saddened and disappointed with the reaction to The Lamb, and left and dropped the customery just about altogether, Gryphon stuck with it, however, since it was all instrumental, it could not "tell you a story", which means that you are not going to see it listed here ... and it is massively more progressive musically than most bands! I always thought that PFM kinda fit into this mold until they gave up and broke up ... and started replacing their people with excellent vocals by others ... and they lost the excellently eccentric vocals and humor qualities that it had before ...

I've listened to au-dela du delire, and i really liked it, im going to search for another ange's album!
Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 19:04
...ah, yes.  Fruupp.  I find their albums hit and miss.  Most solid and best produced one is "Modern Masquerades".  Generally, 3 star albums, but "Modern Masquerades" gets an even 4.  They have a sort of McDonald & Giles aura about them with a brush of Strawbs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>