Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rogues Gallery 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 98>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 15:57
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

A few weeks ago I got asked to step on stage as a guest to sit in on a familiar Lynyrd Skynyrd tune.

I'm the only guy up there who looks like he doesn't belong at a southern rock event.

Nice job!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 11:20
Back in the day
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 11:25
Great timing - taken mid sneeze!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 11:30
Great pic of Davy Crockett!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 11:42
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Great timing - taken mid sneeze!
really?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 18:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Great pic of Davy Crockett!

I accept the compliment, thanks
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 18:53

Here I am flanked by two P.A. blasts from the past (Micky on the left and Raff on the right)
[/QUOTE]Always nice to put a face to a name

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 18:56
damnit HT!!!! Angry
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:17
Just had to have a professional photo taken for PR purposes related to the imminent publication of my book (http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Truce-Memory-First-World/dp/0813166152/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1440946917&sr=8-13&keywords=christmas+truce).  Here I am in full-out "serious author" mode:

photo Crocker3_zpsiuurrcvn.jpg
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:23
^ wonderful picture Clap

and you've got a sale...  interesting topic.  The only thing I'm more passionate about than music is history. I never finished my book, and is one of the few regrets I have in life

Edited by micky - August 30 2015 at 10:24
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:25
^ The topic still fascinates me, even after spending four years of my life on it (well, part time, I work too).  Hard to believe there is anything you are more passionate about than music but I'll take the sale!  Please let me know what you think afterwards, I'm curious.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I never finished my book, and is one of the few regrets I have in life

Well, I'm publishing my first book at the age of 57, so it ain't over till it's over.  What is the topic?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:30
of course... I certainly will.  I worked for 10 years on mine but real life got in the way.. and lost the drive to finish it.  How did the project take you.. start to finish? 

The research was the best part for me, the actual writing of the book became almost secondary for all I learned criss-crossing the south. Perhaps that is why dropping the book really didn't bother me that much.. the journey was important to me.. not the destination.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:32
it was a biography of a Civil war brigade commander and a history of his quite famous brigade.

William Barksdale and his Mississippi brigade in Lee's Army.  What a character he was, and what a hive of scum and villainy his troops were LOL
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:36
The book started as a paper for a grad course, then morphed into a master's thesis, then while I was transforming it into a dissertation, one of my advisors said "This would make a great book!"  I didn't buy it at first ("I bet you say that to all the students" was my first response) but drafted up a book proposal and an academic publishing house showed interest so.....From first idea to reading the proofs, about four years, but I went at it flat-out whenever I had time.
Now I'm trying to understand how I got so motivated, because since I finished it I have slowed to a crawl.  Just burn-out, I guess, because now I have two incompletes to finish and spend all my time listening to prog and visiting PA, just couldn't care less even though the end of the PhD is only about a year away, and I'm kind of looking forward to being Dr. Émigré80. 
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

William Barksdale and his Mississippi brigade in Lee's Army.  What a character he was, and what a hive of scum and villainy his troops were LOL

I'd read that. Finish it, please!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:43
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

The book started as a paper for a grad course, then morphed into a master's thesis, then while I was transforming it into a dissertation, one of my advisors said "This would make a great book!"  I didn't buy it at first ("I bet you say that to all the students" was my first response) but drafted up a book proposal and an academic publishing house showed interest so.....From first idea to reading the proofs, about four years, but I went at it flat-out whenever I had time.
Now I'm trying to understand how I got so motivated, because since I finished it I have slowed to a crawl.  Just burn-out, I guess, because now I have two incompletes to finish and spend all my time listening to prog and visiting PA, just couldn't care less even though the end of the PhD is only about a year away, and I'm kind of looking forward to being Dr. Émigré80. 

Clap  that is exactly how my project started out... it was going to be my dissertation and once I dropped out and started upon my new path in life I stuck with it for many years...but once my first marriage started seriously going in the toilet I lost the drive to complete it and took refuge/escape in music... and this site.  Even with the relative stability and definite happiness I have in life these days with Raff I haven't returned to it.

Perhaps some day I'll return to it. I'll definitely let you know what I think of the book. Congratulations on the perseverance! Clap
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:45
My husband (of 33 years) has both a PhD and a book (on thermonuclear reactions of biofuels), so I couldn't possibly not finish - I'd never hear the end of it LOL
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 15:01
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2015 at 08:50
^ Man, you're young.  Are you sure you belong on this website?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 98>