Windows - desktop

Mac - laptop
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 15:14
Zune - mountaintop. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 19:16
windows xp + vista. mac is just so ridiculously expensive for what you get it's not worth it. and linux is fun to hack with Wink (nothing illegal, of course)
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 19:27
^ A fully-functional, easy to use OS with award-winning customer service and better protection is not worth it? Shocked

Dear me . . . 
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 19:46
windows is fully functional, easy to use, can run much more than mac, is ridiculously less expensive than mac, can often times do more with than mac (programming, compatibility), has the same features as mac, and is much more popular. waaaay more than one company makes pc, which allows for fair competition (unlike apple). because of false misconceptions that macs are "virus free," many more people are buying macs, even though in reality they are easier to hack into; hackers just didnt bother to hack macs because so few people had them. as more people are buying them, more hackers will be creating viruses to infiltrate macs. a lot of anti-virus software isn't even compatible with mac anyway.

...and someone said mac was better?

Edited by andyman1125 - October 18 2010 at 19:47
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 20:03
I never said mac was better, I said it had better customer service, which is true. One company handling everything might make things pricier, but it also means you'll get your technical problems fixed a lot sooner and more consistently, since you don't have to wonder which company built what parts for the machine. 

Macs can run windows as well as linux legally, which means it can run virtually any program you would want.

Wanna do some pros and cons? Okay.

- Macs are built with artists and musicians in mind, so they typically have more to offer in terms of music editing and recording software, and run visual editing tools much smoother on average. They have easier-to-use interface for novice computer users, which makes them less confusing or problematic for the average consumer later on in its life. Macs are all built by the same company all across the board, so the customer service and trouble-shooting goes smoother, and you always know who to call when a problem arises. Only setback to that, as you said, is price. But Corvettes cost more than Toyotas, what can I say? 

Macs can also run all the major OS such as its own, Linux and Windows. It runs them all legally and fully functionally. This means that pretty much any program you wish to use, a Mac can handle with the exceptions of what I've already listed. But logistically, a Mac is not limited at all to what OS or program it can run, and it can do it all legally with full warranty support.

- PCs are built with everybody in mind, so they do more stuff, but sometimes not as good as Macs, other times, better. For instance, Macs suck as far as playing games or doing office work. It's easier for PCs to run those multiple types of programs. PCs offer much more customization opportunities for the technically savvy users, and as a result can potentially extend its normal limitations and lifespan. Unfortunately, unless you pay close to a thousand dollars on one, a middle-of-the-road PC is most likely going to be put together more haphazardly by third-party manufacturers. That's the one disadvantage of having multiple companies build machines for your OS: less consistency in terms of longevity and reliability, and a lot harder to quality control. 

PCs can also run more than just its own OS, but with a twist: it can't run OS X natively. It is possible to hack your machine or make a custom one than runs all the OS, but then you're not legally covered by those companies warranties since you 'cracked' the machine and did the work yourself. You will then be responsible for any problems you have with the machine from that point onward, and as far as I know, Macs are still the only personal computer where you can legally, efficiently run both Windows and OS X simultaneously. 

You're just another PC fanatic who has a problem with Apple products and its users. I own both PCs and Macs for my needs, and can clearly recognize the strengths and weaknesses of each. You apparently only own PCs, yet claim to know everything about modern Apple computers, and badmouth the company on top of it. 

No more arguing. You're a fanboy, plain and simple. 

Edited by JLocke - October 18 2010 at 20:16
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 20:13
haha caught me red handed. i accept macs have their ups, but i just find pcs better
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 20:15
Don't much care for macos, but I LOOOVE iPods

by the way, JLocke, practically anyone who is recording music will have some sort of software that came with whatever hardware they have...

Edited by Triceratopsoil - October 18 2010 at 20:17
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 20:18
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

haha caught me red handed. i accept macs have their ups, but i just find pcs better

LOL It's perfectly fine, man. I just felt like making the case for the Apple stuff. They get a bad rap a lot around here (often deservedly), but each product has a strength and/or weakness over the other. I guess I got a little too passionate about it, huh? Embarrassed
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 20:19
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

by the way, JLocke, practically anyone who is recording music will have some sort of software that came with whatever hardware they have...

Well, of course, but speaking as somebody who owns and runs both types of computers . . . Macs just seem to offer more variety of products, and handle the load better. 

Plus, most of the pros I've read about use Macs for that stuff. That isn't why I go with them, though. I gave my own reasons. Wink
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 15:20
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

LOL It's perfectly fine, man. I just felt like making the case for the Apple stuff. They get a bad rap a lot around here (often deservedly), but each product has a strength and/or weakness over the other. I guess I got a little too passionate about it, huh? Embarrassed
i guess we all get a little to passionate about things sometimes Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 18:40
just installed the newest fedora with lxde, really lightweight, no frills....enjoying it!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 18:41
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I guess I got a little too passionate about it, huh? Embarrassed

You getting a little too passionate?  Perish the thought!  Wink
JakoCba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:59
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits
I don't have lastfm sorry :)
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 15:57
XP
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2010 at 07:59
Windows 7, as of last night.  My motherboard was shot on my old machine, and I figured I'd be further ahead to just get a new one.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 11:15
Running a dual boot now of WinXP and Ubuntu 10.04.  I am leaning towards the Linux based program now. WinXP was getting buggy. It doesn't help that Microsoft is ending it's support for WinXP either.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 23:51
XP and I'm not giving it up until it becomes obsolete as 3.11. (unless a miracle happens in the meantime)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 13:29
I got some serious power.

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 03:52
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote: