Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTaal - Mister Green: Did I Buy a Bootleg?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taal - Mister Green: Did I Buy a Bootleg?
    Posted: August 28 2010 at 19:10
So I found a copy of Taal's Mister Green album online for a price less than $20. I quickly purchased a copy.

What I received in the mail was a sealed CD in an LP-style sleeve in an envelope with a Russian return address. The company is a Russian prog rock label called Mals (www.mals.ru) On the obi-strip-style document it contains the Musea contact information, along with the following:

"Exclusive worldwide rights and distribution (except Russia, CIS and Baltic States): Musea"
Then it says what I guess is "Distribution in Russia, CIS and Baltic States: Mals Ltd." in Cyrillic letters (I don't know Russian).

Why do I suspect this is a bootleg? Mostly because it comes from Russia and is an out-of-print album that fetches high prices on secondary markets. Maybe it is a legitimate release but only from the perspective of Russia and their interesting copyright laws. I don't know.

Any help on this? I want to hear this album, but I won't do so if this is not a legitimate copy. Thanks.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2010 at 09:09

Mals is a respectable record label and they have licensed a lot of albums from various labels. They have also released a lot of albums on their own.

I am unsure about their rights to sell licensed albums outside the ex USSR states. I don't think USA constitutes being a part of these states so I think you have a strong case if you want to file a complaint.  

On the subject of online auctions: I bought a Kaipa album (Angling Feelings) from an online shop in United Kingdom which turned out to be a licensed album for the ex USSR territory (and I am not able to resell it again). It was a full price album and I am not going to buy anything from this online seller again. The lessons is to be very careful online. Sad but true.        

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 21:59
Mine was also like that, and it even had a hole through the UPC, which makes it even worse since it was probably a promo copy. I don't know what to tell you, I just kept it because I didn't feel like fighting it. Both Taal albums are available legally on Mindawn if you absolutely must throw money at them.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
SFranke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 06:56
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I've decided I'm going to regard this CD as a legitimate release. Why? Because Musea Records sells it on their own webstore! See for yourself: http://www.musearecords.com/boutique/anglais/index.php.
 Post Reply Post Reply