Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIron Maiden or Metallica?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: What´s your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
102 [68.00%]
48 [32.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 18:33
Originally posted by Klogg Klogg wrote:

None of them.

Well...............

................at least you increased your post count.
JakoCba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 18:55
Iron Maiden
Rushlover13 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 19:26
Iron Maiden is awesome and one of the very few bands that made great progressive albums in the 1980s when prog was not at its best.  Metallica is great, but they just dont hold the same type of power that Iron Maiden has.  So. my choice is rather obvious....Smile
I Love Rush.
tennyson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 20:32
Maiden by far!  I like metallica fairly well, but would like them much more if Kirk Hammet were ever to lose that blasted wah pedal hes always hiding his blues leads behind. The Maiden guitarists have several big things going for them IMO...  Dual/Triple leads, The good old Eminor scale, and just some good catchy grab your guts and pull you into a head bob grooves thanks to a still much over looked bassist. Also i really get into the iron Maiden lyrics much much more as a whole...
Writer stares with glassy eyes, defies the empty page...
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 03:38

Originally posted by Klogg Klogg wrote:

None of them.

Agree , they've nothing to do with Progressive , Even if Saint Peter opens the Gates of Heaven , and tells me they are / Dreamtheater , Queensriche , Metallica & Iron Maiden are Taking Advantage from others productivities , and So far i like them all , but You just tell me , who listen to them now in presence of Legends & Pioneers !!? If You Really Do , Switch to other Sites of Heavy metal or Hard rock stuff , and enjoy yourselves /
                                          Wink Ouch Sleepy Shocked Angry Clap Big smile Dead Wink  I Had Plenty of Time to give you These Emotions /
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 14:41
I have never been a huge fan of Metallica..Why? No need to be when Iron Maiden does what they do...Really tho, I give props to Metallica for giving some influence to metal and progmetal. Very early on in LA, San Fran they were pretty good with what they were doing....then in my opinion they sold out to pop rock, MTV with the Black Album...after that it was downhill. Lars ranting about music downloading and all that krapp was dumb IMHO.

Iron Maiden never left their music base, kept playing it hard with some amazing imagination/creativity...I mean Eddie IS the most famous musical mascot around.
All bands go thru some lull times, but the great ones bounce back and even get better....That's Maiden, when Bruce came back the fire was lit again......It has not stopped burning....IM is "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns"...right now!
Longevity and quality of longevity speaks volumes in my book......I personally feel Metallica is done. With The Final Frontier, seems like Iron Maiden is here for a very long time, like they have a second wind. Certainly this 2010 Tour made a strong statement by the group........'we are not finished'.

I for one am very pleased......I've been a Maiden listener since 1981, first saw them live in 1982.

Its tough to compare any bands to Iron Maiden.....its kinda like their own genre now.

Up the Irons!! (forever)
John 6 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 19:49
Never got Maiden, and completely fail to understand why they are so popular. Metallica are far more impressive, although I am not a lover of their thrash period. Maiden, in my opinion produce the same old boring drivel, album after album. Metallica, however, are more in the classic rock mould, in the spirit of Sabbath. And the next kid I see wearing a Maiden t-shirt, thinking they are unique, and have a vast knowledge of rock music, but really know bugger all, I swear I'll do something I regret!!RawksCensored
Prog Is A Man's Best Friend.
Follix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 01:19
Metallica, only for that bass sound.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 07:34
Metallica
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 08:46
Maiden
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 11:09
Maiden have been more consistent but Metallica at their best were far more interesting than most metal bands this side of Sabbath, so Metallica!
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 12:58
Run To The Hills...Run for your Life
Maiden

I'll take hills over never neverland. I think Iron M is a much more talented group with massive stage hands as opposed to Metallica, who is run by the one-man show, a guy who refuses any type of performance instruction, and wants to do it the way HE wants to do it. Hetfield, IMO, he keeps the Band at an above amatuer level and nothing more

assume the power 1586/14.3
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 13:09
Originally posted by John 6 John 6 wrote:

Never got Maiden, and completely fail to understand why they are so popular. Metallica are far more impressive, although I am not a lover of their thrash period. Maiden, in my opinion produce the same old boring drivel, album after album. Metallica, however, are more in the classic rock mould, in the spirit of Sabbath. And the next kid I see wearing a Maiden t-shirt, thinking they are unique, and have a vast knowledge of rock music, but really know bugger all, I swear I'll do something I regret!!RawksCensored

I was trying to be nice.....Metallica songs all SOUND THE SAME!!!!! Really compare Metallica to Sabbath, "in the spirit of Sabbath"....I would never do that, it makes no sense. Metallica guitar riffs are the same throughout their collection...I guess that could be impressive to make that accomplishment. Other than "One" I don't understand or get the rest of what Metallica sing/write about...ohh wait they did make a song for that movie series Mission Impossible...impressive for sure.

As for the shirts.......I can't tell you the last time I saw anyone wearing a Metallica shirt.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 14:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Metallica songs all SOUND THE SAME!!!!! ... Metallica guitar riffs are the same throughout their collection

Seems you haven't heard very many of them.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 09:22
Iron Maiden - they never went as downhill as Metallica went with Reload and St Anger; even their Virtual XI (which i consider as their least inspired work) is better than those two albums. Maiden's commercial succes did not rely on a sell out album as The Black album was (although it is not a bad album at all).

And Maiden's last album is miles better IMO than Metallica's last.

Am I making any sense? I haven't finished my morning coffee. LOL

Edited by Cristi - September 03 2010 at 10:48
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 10:32
watching Metallica in Concert, I noticed several things that alarmed me;

Hetfield won't shut up vocally, spitting into the mike and his guitar [playing literally drowns out Hemmet

There are no vocal harmonies

Lars doesn't say a word and has no Drum solo, yet the Bass player has a solo, but at ten minutes into the set, I can't figure out for the life of me WHY?

There are no choreographed band foot movements ...there's not a lot of visual or sonic fun

Im thinking they could add harmonies, all three stand to gether and harmonize at some point, ditch the bass solo  and most of all,,turn Hetfields guitar down and let's hear Kirk's guitar for like 20 seconds for once...not too much too ask....and finally do something weird or nice like play "Yellow Submarine" as a joke and get "friendly"

assume the power 1586/14.3
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 15:15
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

Hetfield won't shut up vocally, spitting into the mike and his guitar [playing literally drowns out Hemmet

Lars doesn't say a word and has no Drum solo, yet the Bass player has a solo, but at ten minutes into the set, I can't figure out for the life of me WHY?

There are no choreographed band foot movements ...there's not a lot of visual or sonic fun

Im thinking they could add harmonies, all three stand to gether and harmonize at some point, ditch the bass solo  and most of all,,turn Hetfields guitar down and let's hear Kirk's guitar for like 20 seconds for once...not too much too ask....and finally do something weird or nice like play "Yellow Submarine" as a joke and get "friendly"

Are you kidding?? Hetfield give someone else in the band the chance for a spotlight...I seriously doubt that.
Again, I don't dislike Metallica from an influencial standpoint, artistically I think they fall way short though, sounds like on stage also they fall short.

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 03:36
It's interesting that pretty much everything you think is minus I find to be a plus.

Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

Can't figure out what's the problem with the first one, he sings the lines he's written and the spitting is mostly the mic's problem. Hammett's main contribution to the band are the solos, and doubling Hetfield's rhythm parts. I hear the solos and the harmonies here and there, and it's pretty damn hard to tell which guitar is louder in the rhythm parts..

They had more when Jason was in the band, because he could actually sing. There's still some, but yeah, they lost a great live performer in Jason. Now I prefer no vocal harmonies to messed up vocal harmonies.

Because Rob has the ability to perform at least a remotely interesting solo. The bass solo you're referring to is probably the intro to For Whom the Bell Tolls, it's not really a solo per se. But he did a proper solo when I saw them in 2007 and it was pretty good. I'm a big fan of Metallica, but I can admit that Lars is not in the form to do a solo. He's struggling enough with the actual songs. And he always talks to the audience at the end of the set, which I think is enough. I could well do without Kirk's solos in between songs, but they serve the purpose of filling the silence when the others change instruments. He did do a great little solo piece called Melbourne on the St. Anger tour, it was a composed little clean guitar thing, very pretty. Rob is clearly the most interesting soloist in the band.

Thank heavens for no choreography, I've always found the synchronized axe attack very silly looking. And Metallica has had some massive stage shows (the 1996 tour stage destruction for example), but nowadays they prefer to stick with the music, which is good.

To each his own. I love seeing both bands live, but listening to the Metallica shows afterwards is sometimes less enjoyable. They are sloppy, but their stage show is always killer, and you don't really listen to the mistakes in the moment.

Edited by Pekka - September 04 2010 at 03:38
ProgHiphop View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 18:11
maiden easy
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 19:10
So, I have to reveal a fact that I´m not  huge fan of neither Iron Maiden or Metallica. That´s a trial only...Wink

Edited by Gandalff - September 04 2010 at 19:12
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>