Topic ClosedDAVID SANCIOUS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DAVID SANCIOUS
    Posted: May 04 2004 at 17:45
Why is this artist missing in the files of progarchives. His album "Just as I thought" is a must-have for every fusion afficionado, and it has moments reminiscent of UK (especially on the "Suite for the end of an age"). Moreover it features Jeff Berlin (Bruford) and TM Stevens (later with Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio on "Sex and religion"). David plays both keyboards and guitar. His music ranges from classical to fusion, via progressive rock. Max, where are you ?
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 18:06
When David Sancious left Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band to pursue a solo career in 1975, his admirers tended to assume that his own albums would be Springsteen-like. It was a logical assumption, but an incorrect one. Recorded for Arista in 1978 and reissued on CD by One Way in early 2001, True Stories by Sancious and his group Tone doesn't sound anything like Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ or Born to Run. This album is pure progressive rock, and it has more in common with Yes, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd, and early Journey than the Boss. Though True Stories contains a few instrumentals, most of the tunes feature vocalist Alex Ligertwood (of Brian Auger's Oblivion Express fame). A bluesy, gritty belter, Ligertwood has some inspired moments on imaginative tracks like "Sound of Love," "Ever the Same," and "Matter of Time." This is, without question, an ambitious album, although it's a different album from the one Sancious originally had in mind. At first, Sancious envisioned a collection of four suites, but Arista feared that such a project would be ignored by radio. So Sancious made True Stories more radio-friendly, although it was still imaginative and risk-taking. Comparing this album to an LP by Yes, it might be said that the songs are closer to the radio-friendly "Roundabout" than the extended "The Gates of Delirium." Many of the lyrics have a spiritual quality and call for a nicer, more loving world, although Sancious avoids sounding preachy on this consistently appealing CD. — Alex Henderson
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 18:22
Now I'm very interested...thx Lucas, one more to buy...you all make me poor  aaahhh...

edit: OMG...22 Euro for each of the two named above  but there's an album named 'transformation(the speed of love)' for 9,99 ... do you know this one lucas?

Edited by diddy
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 09:37
Originally posted by diddy diddy wrote:

Now I'm very interested...thx Lucas, one more to buy...you all make me poor  aaahhh...

edit: OMG...22 Euro for each of the two named above  but there's an album named 'transformation(the speed of love)' for 9,99 ... do you know this one lucas?

Transformation-Speed of Love and Forest of Feelings are both INCREDIBLE Sancious albums! Grab these without hesitation.

People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 10:03
Originally posted by The Owl The Owl wrote:

Originally posted by diddy diddy wrote:

Transformation-Speed of Love and Forest of Feelings are both INCREDIBLE Sancious albums! Grab these without hesitation.

O.k. I think I will 'grab' Transformation soon..thx...
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
 Post Reply Post Reply