Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"5 star" albums and masterpiece.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 20:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

... And then there's the question of what is art (no I don't need a definition).  ,,,  

Don't get me started on this ... a few people on this board would troll the thread until it got killed ... and I can easily go back to Plato on this ... !

Had one of these discussions one time in a philosophy class ... and here is my take on it. Your view on the word "art" is very different if you are a creative person that does art, music or writes all day long ... and that is not something that a lot of people can enjoy or appreciate, specially fans that think they know what art is, and the artist is not doing it for them! ... the commercial side that we see here so often, people complaining about an artist not listening to them, or not doing what they want, and trashing an album or James LaBrie because they wanted something else ... see?

History of the arts would suggest that only things that last out TIME, get the award of "art" and credit as such ... the rest ... they have a lot of life to live.

There is one problem with that definition ... it never accepts "today's people and works" ... !!! ... because according to everything we know all that is right and correct is in the past, not today ... and this has been my biggest fight for modern music! That definition has to grow up and make room for today or it is not a definition.

Back to the ratings ... it's best that we do NOT consider ratings a major issue and that we allow each person their opinion ... the only problem being when a board decides that they are teh voice of the people and assume that everyone agrees ... and many of us don't! I don't care what Billboard says is number  1 ... I'm never gonna buy it! On principle! Because it distorts the truth and the tastes and makes it look like that is better than others and anything else ... and the majority of fams have a tendency to defend their favorites, not the art itself!

We get the same thing here!

Edited by moshkito - September 02 2010 at 20:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 05:46
Its true. Everyone define ART base on own opinion. Many times this definition go to other side far from main mean of ART. In my country philosophers and intellectuals still fight about Modernity !!! Many of them dont like modernity and they think West world forced that to people who have Oil or Gas. They call that " Cultural Attack"!!!!  They focus to ART and they MAKE new definition for ART. This definition is very fanatic and they mix religion and nationalism to resist an modernity attack!!!
But many of Iranian people (like me) have another opinion that opposite to their. I told that to show you definition of ART sometimes attack to ART and this kind of definition made for another purpos.
Now I'm back to topic. One question : Who make 5 star or masterpiece? Reviewers or Artists?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 05:50
It is ALL subjective, no matter how hard we want to defend our beloved "art".

Tell my girlfriend that The Gates of Delirium is a masterpiece and you will probably get an iron thrown at your face LOL  (don't take me for a sexist, she does the ironing but I do a lot of housekeeping too!).

Surely she has her own tastes and definitions of "art", but get some more people like her to rate albums in PA and the average ratings will quickly change. If we have more or less consistent ratings for albums which many of us consider masterpieces it's only because we belong to a rather limited community with tastes sharing some "core" (or used to up to some time ago).

But the range and definitions of prog are changing, we see more and more newer interpretations of "prog", there's a growing share of prog-metal, post-rock, math-rock, post-metal, extreme tech-metal etc etc in PA. Wait for a few years and it's likely that the "masterpieces" of PA will have changed.

Edited by Gerinski - September 03 2010 at 07:35
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 06:15
^

I sure hope not.  Good reviewers should learn and know the prog history and be aware of which albums were groundbreaking in their day and why.  If we are simply to write off the past accomplishments of bands because they sound "dated" now, and if just roll along with the idea that the latest greatest is all that matters, then we're not much different from the mindless purveyors of pop culture/music in the mainstream media.  I'm not bashing new music, there is a ton of great new stuff and you'll see me write about it.  But as I said, good reviewers will learn about great albums from all periods, learn why they were historically revered, and at least consider those things when reviewing.  Nothing makes me stop paying attention to a reviewer faster than when I detect a dislike for "old" albums because they don't sound like a Dream Theater/Porc Tree album. 

I accept and love music from all periods.  The thought of people writing off the history of prog (or music in general) is pretty sad.  You might be right, but I hope not. 

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 07:34
I hope I'm wrong too!  My favourite prog is still mostly from the 70's, and I honestly believe that it is objectively very good music, but my point was that what for us is a masterpiece is unlisteneable for other people.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 10:28
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

It is ALL subjective, no matter how hard we want to defend our beloved "art".

Tell my girlfriend that The Gates of Delirium is a masterpiece and you will probably get an iron thrown at your face LOL  (don't take me for a sexist, she does the ironing but I do a lot of housekeeping too!).

Surely she has her own tastes and definitions of "art", but get some more people like her to rate albums in PA and the average ratings will quickly change. If we have more or less consistent ratings for albums which many of us consider masterpieces it's only because we belong to a rather limited community with tastes sharing some "core" (or used to up to some time ago).

But the range and definitions of prog are changing, we see more and more newer interpretations of "prog", there's a growing share of prog-metal, post-rock, math-rock, post-metal, extreme tech-metal etc etc in PA. Wait for a few years and it's likely that the "masterpieces" of PA will have changed.

Well I don't know about that.  If a masterpiece is something with a history, then what I would predict is an additional batch of actual masterpieces added to what is already agreed-upon.  Even though "art" is subjective and taste is subjective, the consensus opinion on a release 30 or 40 years old does have some meaning.  The range of "prog" may widen, but it will not change completely: certain work will always be seminal, no matter what else gets added.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 14:21
Quote ... Nothing makes me stop paying attention to a reviewer faster than when I detect a dislike for "old" albums because they don't sound like a Dream Theater/Porc Tree album. 

Or Genesis or ELP or King Crimson!

And that's the problem with the "definitions" ... it forces people to think that one thing is great and the others aren't. And that is a very bad representation of any artist's work!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
steve j View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 17:19
A masterpiece is.....................

People have different definitions of the word masterpiece, but its hierarchical in terms of other music.  How many people on this forum have given an album 5 stars and realised down the line that they would like to change their opinion.  A masterpiece is an album that stands the test of time.  I may love an album today and grow tired tomorrow. 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 18:41
This is the kind of thread that will bring everyone's opinion, which are quite diverse and many times opposing. With that in mind, this is my humble opinion:

I personally give 5 stars to the albums that I enjoy very much after quite a few listens, have great songs, very well written, arranged, orchestrated and performed, and they flow very nicely, providing an excellent listening experience.

As for a Masterpiece, I give that to a 5 star album that is also adventurous, challenging, unique, a milestone in progressive music history.

ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 19:45
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

This is the kind of thread that will bring everyone's opinion, which are quite diverse and many times opposing. With that in mind, this is my humble opinion:

I personally give 5 stars to the albums that I enjoy very much after quite a few listens, have great songs, very well written, arranged, orchestrated and performed, and they flow very nicely, providing an excellent listening experience.

As for a Masterpiece, I give that to a 5 star album that is also adventurous, challenging, unique, a milestone in progressive music history.

Forgive my confusion, but I thought giving an album 5 stars here automatically confers "masterpiece" status.  At least, that's how the ratings descriptions read to me.....
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 23:55
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

Forgive my confusion, but I thought giving an album 5 stars here automatically confers "masterpiece" status.  At least, that's how the ratings descriptions read to me.....

Sorry, but as I mentioned, this is just my humble opinion, and the way I rate music in my own private collection. Maybe in P.A. 5 stars is a masterpiece, and for some other individuals too, and that's perfectly fine. I just spoke from a very personal perspective.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 05:51
Just like in the UK now, you cannot find for love or money anyone who would admit to voting for Margaret Thatcher. Similarly, for 5 star masterpiece albums is anyone game enough to admit that they have handed these out to records where they consider some of the tracks are erm...boring, lightweight. filler etc ?

We rate waaay too high on this site - 5 star garlands are for freakishly/perversely brilliant music alone (rare)
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 06:18

See, this is what I dislike. So now you can only give 5 stars to musically UNIQUE pieces, or pieces that are already considered classic. That means even if something sounds amazing, you might deny it 5 stars just because it isn't experimental enough, or isn't old enough or whatever.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 08:28
^
Possibly, though not necessarily. 

But what you might be ignoring is that 4 is no slouchSmile 4 means an "excellent" album, much better than just a good album.  It's not a slight to give an album 4 stars.  Honestly, some people act like a 3 (good) and a 4 (excellent) are somehow dissing the album.  Not true.  These two ratings should cover the VAST vast majority of albums that you like. 

For some people, 5 just means something a little extra....universal appeal, "standing test of time", groundbreaking, uniquely, along with personally mindblowing. Big smile

I think a new album could be given 5 stars, but the bar is higher.  I think you must believe it will become the things mentioned above, in time.  As the site's definition makes clear, it should be something more than just "another album you enjoy".

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 09:04
^I like that in MMA we can give half stars. There's a couple of very new albums I've given four and a half stars, because of the "test of time" factor, which they haven't yet been able to prove. In a couple of years if I still feel like it, I'll upgrade them to five. I think it's a good system.

Edited by Pekka - September 04 2010 at 09:05
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 09:15
Yeah, Pekka, I think most people would love to have the 1/2 star thing here.  I personally don't need it, but I'd support it now, just because most users seem to want it and I see very little downside to it.  Other than the workload involved for those who would have to do it.  So that's one of those decisions best left to Max and his techie collabs.  I'm sure he knows there's lots of people here who want the 1/2 stars.

The best thing about it would be that it would decrease 5 star over-use, as well as bridging the difficult gap many people have from 3 to 4 stars.  Less handwringing over rounding decisionsLOL

ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 11:42
nvmd double post

Edited by ergaster - September 04 2010 at 11:43
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 11:42

Sorry, but as I mentioned, this is just my humble opinion, and the way I rate music in my own private collection. Maybe in P.A. 5 stars is a masterpiece, and for some other individuals too, and that's perfectly fine. I just spoke from a very personal perspective.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Edited by ergaster - September 04 2010 at 11:43
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 11:55
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Just like in the UK now, you cannot find for love or money anyone who would admit to voting for Margaret Thatcher. Similarly, for 5 star masterpiece albums is anyone game enough to admit that they have handed these out to records where they consider some of the tracks are erm...boring, lightweight. filler etc ?

We rate waaay too high on this site - 5 star garlands are for freakishly/perversely brilliant music alone (rare)

I think the problem is that 5 stars equals both "essential to a collection" AND "masterpiece", which is probably an unwarranted conflation.  I have lots of albums that I think are essential to my collection but I wouldn't rate as masterpieces. 

Halliwell's Film Guide rates from 0 stars to five, and his system I think works very well.  There are very very few five-star films, and a *lot* of one and two-star films, and a one-star film is not necessarily a bad film (you have to read the review to find out, go figure...Smile ).

If we can't give half-stars, then it should be possible to give no stars.  The four stars can be "essential", and five stars might have some meaning.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 10:21
What is PA's top 10? What is Genesis's "Selling England ...." ? Why any sites (like PA) or any reviewers have Top 10 lists? What is their mean?  Is "Selling England..."  just 5 star album ? Who said "selling England....." is No1 and why? How many people vote to this album? What mean of No1? I think there are albums with higher rate in PA but "Selling England...." is No1. Why PA didn't make Top 10 lists for all genres and they put "Selling England..." on top of the list of Prog Rock's all genres? Maybe some of Prog fans didn't like Symphonic Prog and they like other genre. Note to "Selling England..." rate: 4.64 star-981 rating-75% 5 star AND (Essential : a masterpiece of Progressive Rock music)
Now note to this: If 50 fans rate under 3 star to this album, Album's rate drop to 4.2 or 4.3. Does PA change "Selling England..." position in this list? I dont think so. I think "Masterpiece" word never change with rates. PA call "Selling England..."   a masterpiece of progressive rock music and PA cant change this. Can you accuse PA for this "Absolute" opinion? Can you say "No this is not a masterpiece" without any reason?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>