Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eter-K
    Posted: December 06 2011 at 17:57
This 2011 they released their new album via Zafran Media, a new mexican label. Cool band!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 13:04

Formed in the late 80s by a bunch of students from the University of San Marcos (the most ancient university of Peru and the whole Hispanic American region), Eter-K created a dynamic type of rock that fused heavy, psychedelic, post-punk and progressive tendencies in a very energetic way. Right from the start, Eter-K  revealed itself as a group difficult to pigeonhole, but this fact didn't stop them from becoming an important name in Lima's underground rock scene in a few years span.

I got in touch with the band through their Myspace page and Ivan Santos Paredes was kind enough to answer my questions. 

------------------------------------------------------

Your biography has been covered in your ProgArchives profile so let's bypass this and go straight to the meat.  

Please give me your (long or brief) thoughts and lowdowns on.......

Caja De Dudas from 1991

This cassette was our first production with the first incarnation of ETER-K produced by the band and with the help of some friends. It has songs recorded in concert and other songs recorded live in the rehearsing studio, these songs were edited and mixed in a recording studio.

The guest musicians in this recording were Daniel F, leader of LEUSEMIA, a well known underground band in Perú and Tavo Castillo from the progressive peruvian band FRAGIL.

When we finished the production of the cassette, CUERO NEGRO Productions, specialized in metal bands, became interested in the musical line of ETER-K and officially produced this cassette under this label.

Are there any plans to release this cassette on CD or digital download?

This cassette was released on CD, is the CD “Abre la Caja de Dudas”

Abre La Caja De Dudas from 2000

After a long hiatus, because the members of the band had to concentrate in their jobs, families and travels, I decide to reactivate the band at the end of nineties with Pedro Castro, the original drummer, but with a new format, an instrumental power trio; Eduardo Velarde, who was one of my guitar students, took the bass in the band.

We needed the people knew ETER-K was alive again, so we decide to release the cassette “Caja de Dudas” on CD, it was called “Abre la Caja de Dudas”, which included 2 bonus tracks recorded alive in our rehearsals with the actual incarnation.

III from 2002

After a continue playing in concerts with the trio format, we decided to catch the essence of the band, so we produced this Cd entirely live in concert, where we included 2 videos in concert and 1 video clip of “Volando con Mihalis”, a song frequently asked by the fans.

What has happened in this eight years long break after the release of III?

Again, the members of the band had to concentrate in our job compromises, travels and family, just when we were trying to record our next Cd. I continued working in the musical scene in the technical aspects for the band LEUSEMIA and rebirth a band from my childhood called FLEMA, in this situation I met Adrian Arguedas, which I decided to work a new recording project, in the middle of this coordination, Eduardo Velarde appeared again, so we decided this was the time of the new ETER-K ‘s incarnation in the beginnings of 2009. We began again the rehearsals with the new drummer and in the beginnings of this year the band appeared in stages and began to plan the recording of the next production, a real studio Cd, because the other productions were in the “demo” vein.

How is the creative and song writing processes in your band?  

ETER-K makes music in real time, we work with jams and develope ideas during the rehearsals, each member of the band bring his ideas for the conception of a song.

Just to give those of us who are unknown with your band a bit of a reference point or two: How would you describe your music and which bands would you compare your music with?

Our music is instrumental space rock and pshyco rock. We are influenced by the classic rock, progressive rock, heavy rock, jazz rock and the actual music too. Our principal influences are Steve Hillage, Ozric Tentacles, Körai Örom, Colorstar, Oresund Space Collective, Porcupine Tree, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, Therion, King Crimson, ELP, Camel, Focus, Uzeb, Primus, Rush, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Shakti, Tribal Tech, Marc Bonilla, Steve Morse, Lee Ritenour, Eric Johnson, Pat Metheny, Stuart Hamn, Steve Smith, Jean-Luc Ponty.

What is your experience with the music industry and how is it to run a band in Peru? How easy/difficult do you find it to get gigs and tours these days?

The music industry in Perú is dedicated to folk and cumbia and the independent labels support the punk and metal underground scene, the prog scene is very little, we have to do it by ourselves, since the making of the concerts to produce and promote our music.

Is any of you involved in any other bands besides of Eter-K?

I was the guitarist from the band called FLEMA, and underground rock band from the eighties, there is a revival here about the 80´s music, so we are playing some gigs. Adrian Arguedas was the drummer of the known rock band in Perú, LEUSEMIA, he also played drums in MUSEO HETERODOXO, now he´s also playing in a rock band called ARMADA. Eduardo played in a death metal band called NECROPHAGA, now he is exclusively dedicated to ETER-K.

What are your plans for the rest of this year and next year?

Actually, the band is recording the new Cd, this time with the experience and favorable conditions; It´s produced by me. We finished the recording process, It was recorded alive in the studio, we tried to capture the live vibe; now, we´re editing and beginning the mix, we are also working in the art of the CD. We hope it´s going to be finished at the end of the year. We recorded a lot of jams and new songs, so we´ll have material for two more Cds.

The next year we plan to promote our Cd, play in a lot of concerts, prepare the next Cds, and continue recording new material with some guests.

Anything you want to add to this interview?

First of all, thanks for the opportunity to let ETER-K be known a little more. There are a lot of good music and musicians around the world that are unknown, we have to try to support these artists, this is one way, thank you very much and Progarchives rules!

Thank you to Ivan for this interview. 
Their music sounds great in my ears.

Their PA profile is here and their homepage is here

Post Reply Post Reply