Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Official 'review our music' forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Mad Monk and the Mountain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 01:56

Colin.

If I was you, I would also take a song or parts of a song and make that into a Youtube video. Just make a collage of pictures (from your farm and surrounding landscape ??) and put music on the top of that. That's in effect a video made for free with free software. You already got the skills. You can also do the same for some Morrigan songs. 

Believe me, these DIY videos is very effective marketing tools. The new  craze among music fans - including prog rock fans -  is Youtube parties at home with drink, food and a large monitor & speakers showing Youtube videos. I have also heard some pubs also have Youtube parties. Your video should be included in these parties. 

No, I don't do this myself. I am far too dull to get involved in anything as trendy as that.      

When can I expect the Morrigan interview, btw ? 

Colin Masson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:28
Funnily enough I had already  started on a video (not that I knew anything about video parties!) but I left it as I was too ambitious and it got rather difficult, I could use some of what I've done in a rather simpler video however. 

Right now I'm finishing a rather complicated piece of artwork for a chap in Japan Geek
When that's done I'll make the video a priority.

Concerning the interview, It looks like I'll have to do it, Cathy gets rather bashful about doing interviews, and the rest of the band are somewhat spread around at the moment. (Our drummer appears to be hiding from the taxman). With a bit of luck I should be able to put it together tomorrow.
All the best.
Colin.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 09:00
Hey Colin, I checked out one of your Oblivion videos. Unfortunately the video didn't work (out of town so I'm browsing on my phone while my wife sleeps) but the music was quite nice.

I didn't know you did mods yourself. Back in the day, I used to mod a game called Myth II: Soulblighter, it's what I attribute to getting me where I am now (game developer/entrepreneur). I have to admit Ive never played Oblivion but I've heard a lot of good things about it from friends.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 10:20
Originally posted by Colin Masson Colin Masson wrote:

Funnily enough I had already  started on a video (not that I knew anything about video parties!) but I left it as I was too ambitious and it got rather difficult, I could use some of what I've done in a rather simpler video however. 

The music is the most important here because Youtube is mostly used as a jukebox....... and an excellent jukebox it is too. Some black & white stills photos fading in and out is sufficient and a good video. Make a good one for free and you have Tate Modern Art Gallery banging on your door.  

I am looking forward to the interview.  

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 10:42
hi Colin,

Just wanted to mention I'm giving the new album more and more listens and I like it more with each rotation. Really great melodic hooks and beautiful tunes. I'll mention it in my blog to spread the word.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:47

[/QUOTE]

The music is the most important here because Youtube is mostly used as a jukebox....... and an excellent jukebox it is too. Some black & white stills photos fading in and out is sufficient and a good video. Make a good one for free and you have Tate Modern Art Gallery banging on your door.  

I am looking forward to the interview.  

[/QUOTE]

I get the idea, but I might do a little better than black and white photos, unless of course I'm in one of my Berlin school minimalst moods.Wink

I will do the interview straight after the washing up, (thats 1 on the to do list). You should get it later this evening.

Edited by Colin Masson - November 15 2010 at 11:50
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 12:00
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

hi Colin,

Just wanted to mention I'm giving the new album more and more listens and I like it more with each rotation. Really great melodic hooks and beautiful tunes. I'll mention it in my blog to spread the word.

Thanks, for me melodic content is more important than fretboard pyromania (Which I'm not very good at).  Tongue
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 12:13
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Hey Colin, I checked out one of your Oblivion videos. Unfortunately the video didn't work (out of town so I'm browsing on my phone while my wife sleeps) but the music was quite nice.

I didn't know you did mods yourself. Back in the day, I used to mod a game called Myth II: Soulblighter, it's what I attribute to getting me where I am now (game developer/entrepreneur). I have to admit Ive never played Oblivion but I've heard a lot of good things about it from friends.

I started modding when I was at something of a low ebb with my music, and I continue to find it fascinating. These days I am getting more and more interested in 3d modelling. I can't afford 3dsmax, but am getting fairly proficient with blender, which is a pretty powerful piece of freeware. That then feeds back into my artwork,
it is all interesting, the main problem is I don't get the time to do everything I want to.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 19:17
Hey Colin!

If I get hold of this CD I can post a slide show clip on youtube for you

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 11:54
That's very kind of you, but I've already followed Torrod's advice, I've been making home movies over the last couple of years, and as a result of this thread I've tried something a little more ambitious. (I think I've posted these elsewhere on the site and you may have missed themBig smile

If you would still like to do a slide show, then "The Ends of the Earth" might be a good candidate.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 17:53
^^^ OK I will upload with a slide show The Ends of the Earth when it arrives.

Cheers!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 08:34
The CDs arrived. Great packaging on the cover too! Thanks. Reviews coming soon.
smi1100 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 06:55
Hi Colin

Buying your album, I saw on store.payloadz.com an album called Artorius, seller "Morrigan Music", featuring "... Colin Mason...".

Can you tell more about this CD ? Is it possible to ear samples somewhere ? Is it instrumental ou sons ?

Thanks

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 08:47
Review posted finally Colin

Great album

Cheers
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 16:23
Sorry to take so long getting back to you, outside circumstances have meant that I have not been looking in on the forums as much as I should.The album that you refer to is a collaboration with a very fine keyboard player , Max Hunt, who plays in the Yes tribute band Fragile, and has toured in Europe with Steve Howe,

Here is a link to the website, which includes excerpts from the album.
http:///www.artorius.co.uk/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123