Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCeleste Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celeste Box
    Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:18
I adore Celeste, and all of their works. But, I recently purchased the new Celeste Box, presumably everything they released - including under different project names.

A couple of questions (if you have this recording also):

1. Does the stereo imaging disappear from time to time - Especially in CD3?

2. Is this really the entire production of Celeste?

3. Since I don't read/speak Italian, the title of the second CD and third seem to be the same?

Anyway, absolutely love the music, just some general questions.

Thanks!
Freedom Of Personal Expression Can Not Die
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:50
Principe di un Giorno is the only work of their's that I know so can't help you myself. I'm sure some of the other RPI team/fans will be able to help you though. You could have posted this in the RPI thread, but I'll post a link to your thread there. Look forward to seeing you at the RPI den. Thumbs Up
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:40
Tmay, that's a great purchase!  Here's my take on your questions:
1 - I haven't noticed the stereo dropout myself, but especially on CD3 it wouldn't surprise me as it's a series of demos and will be of lesser sound quality.
2 - Well, it's not quite the entire Celeste output.  But this box is really a Ciro Perrino box.  The first CD, Il Sistema, is the first important band he was with.  The next two CDs are Celeste proper.  The first is the album as it was released in 1974.  The second (CD3) is the English version of the album and some demos and outtakes from later sessions.  Finally, CD4 is another Perrino project (along with Celeste bassist Battaglia), St. Tropez, not really Celeste anymore. 

However, there are two other CDs released by Celeste not included in the box.  The second album, was recorded in 1977 and was released with some demos on Mellow as "Second Plus."  There is some overlap on "Second Plus" and CD3 with some of the demos included there.

There is also a soundtrack released by Celeste, entitled "I suoni di una sfera."  I don't have that one and can't comment about it.

Perrino was involved in two other projects, one called Compagnia Digitale and the other SNC.  SNC is sort of spacey, not as good but similar in spirit to St. Tropez.  I don't know much about the other project.  He also has some solo albums out.

3 - The titles of CD2 and CD3 are the same, reflecting that CD3 contains the English recorded version of the album.

Enjoy!

Edited by Todd - September 07 2010 at 13:41
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

tmay102436 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 14:45
Well, the explanation of what's actually been put out by Celeste (the 2nd - and soundtrack not represented in the box) really helps explain some things. Also, the final explanation on the 2nd Cd in the box and the 3rd being the same, just different languages helps also!

Thanks so much, as even though music is music, I like knowing its history and stories.

Freedom Of Personal Expression Can Not Die
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 15:47
You're welcome, and please visit the Italian Prog Den and let us know some of your favorites!  It's a great place to hear about other excellent bands.  Also check out the RPI sub-genre page for lots of great resources.

Piacere!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply