17 [17.53%]
33 [34.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "Top Four" Hogarth-era Marillion albums
    Posted: September 24 2022 at 11:46
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

1. Brave
2. Afraid of Sunlight
3. Marbles
4. Seasons End

By the way, I read recently that old PA threads automatically lock themselves after a certain time, and yet this 2010 poll is still running 12 years later. Shocked

same ranking here
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2022 at 03:09
Brave!

Seasons End, then AOS and Marbles, both some way behind. I know Marbles has some great songs, but as an album overall it’s one that doesn’t get played very much…
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 07:39
Brave
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 03:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ old threads sometimes survive when they get resurrected from time to time, when there is genuine interest in discussion there. 

Thanks. This is the first time I've seen a poll resurrected from as far back as 12 years ago and I still haven't decided whether I prefer the Hogarth, Constable or Turner era. Tongue

I was surprised also finding it. Then being able to add my vote
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 03:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ old threads sometimes survive when they get resurrected from time to time, when there is genuine interest in discussion there. 

Thanks. This is the first time I've seen a poll resurrected from as far back as 12 years ago and I still haven't decided whether I prefer the Hogarth, Constable or Turner era. Tongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 02:56

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 02:47
1. Brave
2. Afraid of Sunlight
3. Marbles
4. Seasons End

By the way, I read recently that old PA threads automatically lock themselves after a certain time, and yet this 2010 poll is still running 12 years later. Shocked

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 23 2022 at 02:50
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 01:36
1. Marbles
2. Brave
3. Afraid Of Sunlight
4. Seasons End
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 19:38
Not sure about this. I have actually heard very few of the albums with Hogarth, but have heard several live albums, including ones with the whole Brave and Marbles, with which I must say I ended up rather disappointed, given how much hipe they get, and I just found little to love (except for the wonderful Neverland, which is among my very favourite Marillion songs). Yet, I get the impression that if I heard them all, my favourite as a whole album would end up being Sounds that can't be Made.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 21:04
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Actually my two favourite H - Marillion albums are This Strange Engine and Happiness Is The Road, but I'm happy to endorse Marbles on the above list. Seasons End and Brave have flat spots for me and I've never liked the first two tracks on Afraid Of Sunlight.

Just to edit my previous post, my opinion of Seasons End has lifted since I made those comments. Also to a degree so has my opinion of Brave, both fine albums. At times you can be too close to an album you've played many times. 
UncleRust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 14:00
Marbles...by a very large margin.  I was really disappointed by it at first but it really grew on me, especially the longer tracks.  Ocean Cloud in particular is just amazing.  I might skip over Drilling Holes here and there, though.

Brave, for some reason, is a bit too poppy for me.  I remember people telling me how dark they thought it was.  Apparently, I am darker...  Anyway, I listen to it every once in a while but do skip a few tracks.

Seasons End is ok.  Can't say I have felt compelled to listen to more than the first four songs (skipping Uninvited Guest) in years.

Afraid of Sunlight is ok, but really just the wrong direction from this band for me.  Too uneven, and the best songs are still too...something...  Simple?  Poppy?  I don't know, but I might listen to it once a year at most.  Oh, and I cannot listen to Cannibal Surf Babe ever.

Edited by UncleRust - November 06 2021 at 14:01
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 12:35
Virtually impossible to choose between Brave and Marbles, but today it is the former. Just about the finest concept album ever released. Perfect in every way.

EDIT. I see that 11 years ago, I chose Marbles. Oh well!LOL

Edited by lazland - November 06 2021 at 12:36
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 12:03
Funny, my preferred Marillion albums of these are the ones with the least votes: Season's End and Afraid of Sunlight. I find Brave and Marbles too subdued to really conquer me compared to those other two albums... Will vote for Afraid of Sunlight.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 10:34
bump! 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:08
Marbles

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 13:50
Brave.  It edges Seasons End.  Marbles is too patchy.

So I bring Brave back to parity with MarblesTongue
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 19:56
WOW. I just listened to that whole album(meditated to it actually) and it was fantastic! Really great all the way through the last song. Man I'm glad I found this one.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 20:54
But I'm a Fish-only snob, does that mean this poll is not for me?

No, I'm KIDDING everyone. But I do have their first 4 studio albums, so I guess it's time to try something with the other guy now. So I actually appreciate this poll.. I'll give Marbles a try and see if I like it. Smile
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 19:08
1 - Brave
2 a / 2 b - Afraid Of Sunlight - Marbles
3 -Seasons End
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 01:19
Actually my two favourite H - Marillion albums are This Strange Engine and Happiness Is The Road, but I'm happy to endorse Marbles on the above list. Seasons End and Brave have flat spots for me and I've never liked the first two tracks on Afraid Of Sunlight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>