Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 10:57
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Ironically now that they have to look for a replacement drummer they'll need to have the break they fired Mike to avoid.LOL Which means that if the search takes some time and they can't find a suitable replacement, Mike might simply decide to apply.

Well, that's true, but seeing things like JP is, he will be in the studio with or without drummer... I guess they will hired a session drummer, that will cover up the need to june or july of the next year. I think they have enough time to get a real drummer for the tour until then...

Of course, I'm guessing... but I hope that's the plan... Confused

I have no problems with this whole situation ... I'm looking forward to whatever music MP and DT will be releasing. Smile
Yeah, that's my case, I have being enjoying "almost" every side project of the members so I'll be fine if DT continues as well as Mike... I think a change in DT was needed and now they have the chance to succeed, let's hope they will..
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 12:05
I could be very wrong, but maybe this was either quit the band, Mike, or you will be fired.

Maybe his autocratic ways created this
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 12:30
^I think it was more, let's take a hiatus, or i'll quit
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 14:15
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I kindly disagree with the fact that they will ever be metal. Hell, most ""metal""core bands aren't even 5% metal IMO. The only exception to that, so far, is Protest the Hero, but all others. . . . It is just hard to understand or to see any metality (LOL) in them.

And to make it all worse they are filled in the EXTREME METAL subgenre. Ugh, talk about confusing. . . Confused

I don't like them either but to claim they're not metal is completely asinine.  

And Protest the Hero couldn't write a decent song to save their lives. Their writing process must be like, " Hey bro, that's a rad lick! Now throw it in with the others." Dead

Edited by TheClosing - September 11 2010 at 15:01
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 16:27
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

I kindly disagree with the fact that they will ever be metal. Hell, most ""metal""core bands aren't even 5% metal IMO. The only exception to that, so far, is Protest the Hero, but all others. . . . It is just hard to understand or to see any metality (LOL) in them.

And to make it all worse they are filled in the EXTREME METAL subgenre. Ugh, talk about confusing. . . Confused

I don't like them either but to claim they're not metal is completely asinine.  

And Protest the Hero couldn't write a decent song to save their lives. Their writing process must be like, " Hey bro, that's a rad lick! Now throw it in with the others." Dead

I didn't said PtH is good, I only said they are metal. ConfusedWink And Ax7 is as metal as Mike Oldfied and Tangerine Dream.

Edited by CCVP - September 11 2010 at 16:30
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Originally posted by jsem jsem wrote:

If it turns out he left DT just to play for A7X full time, I'll be pretty upset.

Maybe he will be able to convert them to progressive metalcore?

Fixed

You need to hear Converge then. They're hardcore-based and definitely metalcore/mathcore, but they're more extreme than 95% of metal bands.

Some others I could recommend:
Botch
Coalesce
Car Bomb (Very Meshuggah-like)

I agree a lot of metalcore is generic. But you can find some good stuff if you're willing to look hard enough.

A7X isn't a good example of true metalcore anyway.

Will check some of those (if not all). Thank you for the suggestions.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 16:56
Just because they write their music aimed at the so called mall rat crowd doesn't make it any less metal. There's a lot of made up genres like "emocore" for example. You have to look at the traits of the music and you'll see it's clearly the same music that's been around for quite some time. Don't let the girl pants and eye liner fool you. That's image and not music. 

Heavy palm muted riffs? Check!
Dual guitar harmonies? Check!
w**ky mandatory solo over extended bridge? Check! 
High gain amps with scooped mids? Check!
Excessive use of double bass? Check!
Tough guy vocals? Check! 

They play generic metal with Guns N' Roses sentiments. 
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 17:09
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

Just because they write their music aimed at the so called mall rat crowd doesn't make it any less metal. There's a lot of made up genres like "emocore" for example. You have to look at the traits of the music and you'll see it's clearly the same music that's been around for quite some time. Don't let the girl pants and eye liner fool you. That's image and not music. 

Heavy palm muted riffs? Check!
Dual guitar harmonies? Check!
w**ky mandatory solo over extended bridge? Check! 
High gain amps with scooped mids? Check!
Excessive use of double bass? Check!
Tough guy vocals? Check! 

They play generic metal with Guns N' Roses sentiments. 

I, for one, do not care for trends, specially the recent ones. I listen to the music, no matter if the rest of the world or everybody else that lsiten to the guys are a buch of retards. The main proof of that is that I listen to Dream Theater and most of their fans I have ever met are some of the most obnoxious people ever, what cause so much hatred towards their fanbase.

I have already taken my time to listen to Ax7. A whole album (their latest, before the one MP recorded). Are they heavy? Yes. Are they metal? No. Those are two different things that have little to do with each other: using techniques that became famous or well known for being used for metal bands and actually being a heavy metal bands. 

EDIT: edited the post slightly to make my pov to be better understod. Besides, that song was already recorded WITH MP.

Edited by CCVP - September 11 2010 at 17:13
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 17:57
Ideally, if you immerse a rock in the water, it will displace a volume of water, right?. Now, if you cut that rock into 10 or 100 or 10000000 pieces and immerse it, will it displace the same volume of water? I say that yes.
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 19:36

I have already taken my time to listen to Ax7. A whole album (their latest, before the one MP recorded). Are they heavy? Yes. Are they metal? No. Those are two different things that have little to do with each other: using techniques that became famous or well known for being used for metal bands and actually being a heavy metal bands. 

EDIT: edited the post slightly to make my pov to be better understod. Besides, that song was already recorded WITH MP.

"using techniques that became famous or well known for being used for metal bands and actually being a heavy metal bands."

That doesn't make any sense. The traits are what define the sound and the genre. Your ideology is based of your experience with extreme metal. Saying Ax7 isn't metal is the same as saying Iron Maiden isn't metal. You take an Ax7 record and play it for your Maestro and I guarantee he'll tell you it's metal. The core of Ax7 sound since Beast is basically cheesy 80's metal with Pantera chug and vocals. thrown on top. Then a few hard rock ballads every record that are complete Guns N' Roses homage. That's exactly what their sound is. It's absolutely nothing new. 

Obviously metal came from rock, but there was enough difference in the sound to make an entire new genre. This emocore makes no sense at all. I won't further argue over your opinion, but I would like to know what you think Ax7 is using sensible terms. I.e. hard rock or heavy metal. 

And yes this whole genre debate is silly. I just enjoy shooting the shiz sometimes. Wink 
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 22:16
So, back to the topic... I did listened to that song before and now it sounded better... Not sure but seems like teenagers rock to me... and confirmed me that Mike has a crisis of age, he still feel "cool" to play metal... well, it's always a win if now we get two projects instead of one... don't you think...?
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 23:18
A statement by MP's sister on his forum:

"Before I write this, understand that this is MY statement.  Mike might kill me for speaking up, but I just can't sit by quietly.  I guess I'm like Mike in that way.

PLEASE stop reading between the lines with this whole situation. There is no hidden meaning in all of this (is there ever with Mike?  The guy is an open book with his fans!!).  Everything Mike said in his interview with Eddie Trunk, in his press release or otherwise is everything he has been saying to me for the past year, at least.  He LOVES the other (DT) guys and their families.  They have grown up together, married women that were (and are) best friends, have raised their kids as best friends.  They are family.  This was not an easy decision for him as a drummer, founding band member (and band leader) or person. 

Let's put 25 years into perspective.  I am 40.  I met John and John when I was 15.  How many friends do I still have that I have had to live AND work with for the past 25 years?  Not a single one.  I can't imagine looking at the same group of people for that many years and being able to come up with new, fun ideas (that will then be judged the world over).  My friends and I get stuck on doing the same things on random weekend gatherings!    

Remember, this is strictly my perspective here...

You'd think that being a rock star would be 100% fun 100% of the time.  But I know that Mike works extremely hard and takes every bit of this experience to heart.  You might think you know, but you have no idea (to borrow a line from Behind the Music).  It is a part of who he is as a person, it is definitely not just a job.  He's been running at a pace (WITH DREAM THEATER) most people couldn't keep up for a few months, much less 25 years.  He just wants a break.  He wants to have the chance to play with other musicians and be reminded of how special this all is.  He wants to have fun and not be in charge of every detail for a bit.  (And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.) 

The way I see it, it's not a matter of Mike not wanting to be in DT (Remember, he DOES want to be in DT... he NEVER wanted or planned to leave the band).  Giving up Dream Theater must be like giving up a child for him.  I know it's been horribly painful.  But I am extremely proud of him for recognizing that he needs to be reinvigorated and for doing what he needs to do to make that happen.  You know Mike.  He does not do anything half-assed.  He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone.  Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that.  Maybe (apparently) the other guys don't feel the same about this situation, I can't speak to that, but he knows that he needs a break to be able to bring the best of himself to the table.  There is no alterier motive.  He genuinely just needs a break.  He needs a break that allows him to find new inspiration and have some down time.  When he has done his other side projects, if you think he was not also working on DT stuff, you'd be incredibly mistaken.   

I guess I got a bit long-winded there... sorry, but it's torture to sit back and watch my brother getting ripped apart or criticized for making this incredibly INCREDIBLY hard choice.  And for those of you who are supporting/understanding of his decision, I want you to know HOW MUCH it is appreciated. 

Thanks for listening...
~ Sam"

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - September 11 2010 at 23:19
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 13:27
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

^I think it was more, let's take a hiatus, or i'll quit

That could be very true as well. I saw DT backing up Iron Maiden being forced to play only 35 Minutes despite Maiden's stage being set up.

Who needs that.

P.S. Maiden's Dickenson whined about only playing to 5000 people last time 20 years ago.

Maybe it was a result of what IM previously doing this time of what they did previously in not playing their hits and denying the crowd in having a desirable opening act play more.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 17:07
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

"Before I write this, understand that this is MY statement.  Mike might kill me for speaking up, but I just can't sit by quietly.  I guess I'm like Mike in that way.

PLEASE stop reading between the lines with this whole situation. There is no hidden meaning in all of this (is there ever with Mike?  The guy is an open book with his fans!!).  Everything Mike said in his interview with Eddie Trunk, in his press release or otherwise is everything he has been saying to me for the past year, at least.  He LOVES the other (DT) guys and their families.  They have grown up together, married women that were (and are) best friends, have raised their kids as best friends.  They are family.  This was not an easy decision for him as a drummer, founding band member (and band leader) or person. 

Let's put 25 years into perspective.  I am 40.  I met John and John when I was 15.  How many friends do I still have that I have had to live AND work with for the past 25 years?  Not a single one.  I can't imagine looking at the same group of people for that many years and being able to come up with new, fun ideas (that will then be judged the world over).  My friends and I get stuck on doing the same things on random weekend gatherings!    

You'd think that being a rock star would be 100% fun 100% of the time.  But I know that Mike works extremely hard and takes every bit of this experience to heart.  You might think you know, but you have no idea (to borrow a line from Behind the Music).  It is a part of who he is as a person, it is definitely not just a job.  He's been running at a pace (WITH DREAM THEATER) most people couldn't keep up for a few months, much less 25 years.  He just wants a break.  He wants to have the chance to play with other musicians and be reminded of how special this all is.  He wants to have fun and not be in charge of every detail for a bit.  (And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.) 

The way I see it, it's not a matter of Mike not wanting to be in DT (Remember, he DOES want to be in DT... he NEVER wanted or planned to leave the band).  Giving up Dream Theater must be like giving up a child for him.  I know it's been horribly painful.  But I am extremely proud of him for recognizing that he needs to be reinvigorated and for doing what he needs to do to make that happen.  You know Mike.  He does not do anything half-assed.  He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone.  Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that.  Maybe (apparently) the other guys don't feel the same about this situation, I can't speak to that, but he knows that he needs a break to be able to bring the best of himself to the table.  There is no alterier motive.  He genuinely just needs a break.  He needs a break that allows him to find new inspiration and have some down time.  When he has done his other side projects, if you think he was not also working on DT stuff, you'd be incredibly mistaken.   

I guess I got a bit long-winded there... sorry, but it's torture to sit back and watch my brother getting ripped apart or criticized for making this incredibly INCREDIBLY hard choice.  And for those of you who are supporting/understanding of his decision, I want you to know HOW MUCH it is appreciated. 

Thanks for listening...
~ Sam"

Well... I think her sister just said the same thing everybody is saying isn't? he needed a break of DT... but he didn't about his other projects... at the end is the same... it means that he doesn't feel inspired anymore in the band and the rest of the guys they do want to keep it up... so, MP is out... there's not too much away of it...
Ahmadbarqawi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 00:39

hmmm interesting!

Maybe we'll get less "muse" in DT's "next" album

{Flashlights shade shrunken views
Of a red demon’s foxtrot in brews
Guns & flowers crown morning news
Panic-stricken guilt now ensues}
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 01:44
well we didnt get any on the last one, sooo.... i dont think we'll get anymore ever.

i think there's gonna be some stylistic changes, some drastic, some gradual. you know people are going to love and hate the new one, just as any from the past
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 02:14

vs. 

Anything is better than Metallica or MP on vocals. LOL
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 10:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

well we didnt get any on the last one, sooo.... i dont think we'll get anymore ever.

i think there's gonna be some stylistic changes, some drastic, some gradual. you know people are going to love and hate the new one, just as any from the past

I think this is the only certain thing we know about the future of DT. We will see thousand of people hating the new album, drummer, style, approach, it will be too heavy, too popy, too prog, and bla,bla,bla...

In the other hand we will have worshippers who will give a 5 star rating even before the album would be launched. We have seen this before and it will happen. Poor the new drummer, he will be the focus of the anger, but until I hear something new of DT, I won't comment if it will be good or bad. I think it will be good... but we will wait...
sparkslive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 12:52
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

Thanks for listening...
~ Sam"
very well put, Sam.

I'll support Mike in all of his endevors.

I'm also glad I had a chance to see DT 3 times with my 3 kids. I always enjoyed MP's style; his application of patterns were athletic at times. Never understood why I'd hear people moan, he's a showoff; this is the entertainment industry. Sure Virgel or a list of others can suit the chops, but they won't capture his soul.

cheers
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 13:26
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145872

I have not seen this posted anywhere, so sorry if it has been. This is the transcript of Mike's interview with Eddie Trunk on NY Q104.3 "Friday Night Rocks" show on Sept 10, 2010.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>