Topic ClosedMike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
    Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:43
Wow, I did not expect this.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-portnoy/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/137362372974878

"Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write: 

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century. 

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater... 

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes.... 

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP"

mamboboy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:49
According to his Facebook:

Quote Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write: 

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century. 

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater... 

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"... 

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes.... 

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed. 

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP

Edited by mamboboy - September 08 2010 at 19:49
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:56

f**k!

NO f**kING WAY! Cry

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:56
you're SHI**ING ME...........

Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:57
....................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:57
Wow, despite not being the biggest DT fan, I've always been a fan of Mike as a person, love his taste in music and humor, and his drumming is great though not a favorite of mine.

I wish him the best of luck, hope the rest of the DT guys reconcile with him.
JonteJH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:59
Im in tears....cant believe this is happening Unhappy.... MIKE!!!! Cry  for me Dream Theater isnt Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy........This sucksUnhappy 
MP/DT Sept 1985 - Sept 2010

http://www.lastfm.se/user/JonteJH
http://soundcloud.com/jontejh
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

My eyes damn near shot out of my head when I read it. So glad I got to see them a couple of years ago.

E
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

I was about ot post this here.

f**k, one of the worst news EVER.

I feel so damn lucky to have seen them TWICE in my lifetime on  place they only come once every two or three years. . .

I just wish i could see them on the Octavarium tour too, but i was way too young to travel to see them.

Edited by CCVP - September 08 2010 at 20:04
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:01
So what's next, hanging out with mallrat poseurs like avenged sevenfold?
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:05
He is the heart and soul of Dream Theater

This band is done without him......

irregardlessly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:05
DT are one of the biggest reasons I am into prog.  This is shocking, but not totally out of left field I think due to the whole A7X situation.  I've been reading and everyone on the net is taking one side or the other, which is a joke to me since no one on the outside knows at this point what really happened.

Personally I think DT was in a rut and needed a change, but I'm not sure who can fill in technically for the mighty Portnoy on the drums.  I am glad I never have to listen to him yelling on a DT record again a la "A Nightmare to Remember".  :)
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

He is the heart and soul of Dream Theater

This band is done without him......

Well, IDK. Seriously. I mean, yes managed to go withouy Bill Brufford and Rick Wakeman (and Anderson).

And Mike really was the mid behind the band, maybe now they can do something that isn't the heart and soul of Portnoy, seriously. Confused

On a second thought, this may be actually good for the band.

Axiously waiting their 2011 album! Big smile

EDIT: for example, Train of Thought, Octavarium and Systematic Chaos were mainly idealized by him and Black Clouds was more like a band effort. Maybe now they can truely work as a band. And I am saying this being a true hardcore DT fan. Rawks

Edited by CCVP - September 08 2010 at 20:15
emkogceo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:12
I predict he puts out a steady stream of Phil Collins-styled pop/R&B solo albums.
www.emkog.com
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:13
I'm not the biggest DT fan but something's wrong if he thinks Avenged Sevenfold and Transatlantic are a step up.

Whether the next DT record will suck is something we can't possibly comment on until we've heard it.
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:15
Holy crap, this is very abrupt and very unexpected.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:15

This is seriously the worst thing in the history of music for me...

I hope the other guys can go on without him, but I really don't know... he practically WAS the band.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - September 08 2010 at 20:16
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:16
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

This is seriously the worst thing in the history of music for me...

You've obviously never heard of 1989.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:17
ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
Iamthewalrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:18
Confused........