FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 14:16
Interesting interview from his sister.

As for that A7X song, doesn't sound terribly generic to me. And the album it's from is apparently a concept album. And from what I remember from City of Evil, they even wander into progressive territory at times.

I don't understand how some of you can find them to be so horrible, but to each his own I guess.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 14:33
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Interesting interview from his sister.

As for that A7X song, doesn't sound terribly generic to me. And the album it's from is apparently a concept album. And from what I remember from City of Evil, they even wander into progressive territory at times.

I don't understand how some of you can find them to be so horrible, but to each his own I guess.

The interview I just posted from Friday with Mike and Q104.3 is pretty good also......he just wanted a break. I can see both sides for sure now.

I saw A7X on the Taste of Chaos Tour in 2008 I think, took my son, they headlined here in Seattle. The show I thought was very good, visually they put on a good show...I actually thought the Rev was pretty good. My son does not really listen to them, he was there to see Atreyu and blessthefall. So after 4 hours of standing, he just sat on the floor. I watched the whole A7X show...they have a lot of energy.
Again, I did not know any of their songs but i did enjoy the show.

jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 15:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145872

I have not seen this posted anywhere, so sorry if it has been. This is the transcript of Mike's interview with Eddie Trunk on NY Q104.3 "Friday Night Rocks" show on Sept 10, 2010.

Thanks for this link bro. I convince myself each time more that Portnoy did planned the break, what I think he didn't planned was that the rest of the guys would be so decided to go forward even without him... I'm sure he thought it was a good time to lay down the law because of James new album and all the other projects, but he faced that the rest of the members are far of "tired" or "uncharged".

Now, about that interview, I missled that or did Mike mentioned that Myung is working on a Jelly Jam album...? I would love to have a new album of them... someone has some info about it... ?
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
DreamInSong View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 15:32
Disapprove Aww, but you know what would make a good farewell? Release a live album with the full AA Suite... pleeeaaassseee Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 15:55
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145872

I have not seen this posted anywhere, so sorry if it has been. This is the transcript of Mike's interview with Eddie Trunk on NY Q104.3 "Friday Night Rocks" show on Sept 10, 2010.

Thanks for this link bro. I convince myself each time more that Portnoy did planned the break, what I think he didn't planned was that the rest of the guys would be so decided to go forward even without him... I'm sure he thought it was a good time to lay down the law because of James new album and all the other projects, but he faced that the rest of the members are far of "tired" or "uncharged".

Now, about that interview, I missled that or did Mike mentioned that Myung is working on a Jelly Jam album...? I would love to have a new album of them... someone has some info about it... ?
Your welcome........I read the same about Myung...he has either already released it or will soon...I am looking for it now.

EDIT: I just read that Ty Tabor of Kings X said they are working on a new album as of May 5th...so it must be close to being released...

Edited by Catcher10 - September 13 2010 at 16:00
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 16:06
Originally posted by DreamInSong DreamInSong wrote:

Disapprove Aww, but you know what would make a good farewell? Release a live album with the full AA Suite... pleeeaaassseee Big smile
that would be EPIC! that would take up like a whole disc lol
Super Manley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 17:17
He never said they were a step up, he just said he needed a break from DT and that the musical break that other musical outings gave him helped him feel inspired to come back to DT.  I totally get it.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 18:11

Your welcome........I read the same about Myung...he has either already released it or will soon...I am looking for it now.

EDIT: I just read that Ty Tabor of Kings X said they are working on a new album as of May 5th...so it must be close to being released...

I searched through John Myungs sites and they are as quiet as Myung... great news indeed... so at least this year we get three side projects (including Portnoy) so is not that bad at all... thanks agains for the info... I'm really excited by the Jelly Jam project, one of the most overlooked project and pretty good indeed...
Falling Edge View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 18:17

ughhhh....

Thunderrock View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 20:13
I understand the situation

I do not believe that most people know what they will do tommorow. Understand me that we live to have a better place  to EVOLVE.
                               Most people like to EVOLE upwards while some to EVOLE downwards.
                  Now what is up and what is dow.   And what  is right and what is wrong.
                                                  For me being handiccaped all my life, there's no such thing as a sure thing.
But I fight for what is right. Now I've been very lucky to see in 1965 some heavy metal predecessor  and in the time of POP they we're some more agressive guitarist.

My point is simple we or they think it's better to move on. So we do. There is nothing wrong  when we feel it wrong to go that way instead of  this way.

Long live music no matter what It's the only way of releasing  mental pressure

Sylvain

Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 20:40
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Originally posted by DreamInSong DreamInSong wrote:

that would be EPIC! that would take up like a whole disc lol

lets share a toast for the idea! Clap
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 20:48

I searched through John Myungs sites and they are as quiet as Myung... great news indeed... so at least this year we get three side projects (including Portnoy) so is not that bad at all... thanks agains for the info... I'm really excited by the Jelly Jam project, one of the most overlooked project and pretty good indeed...

not bad but i'd prefer a new platypus album
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
Basíleia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 02:19
Woow, there's one thing I would never have seen coming... It'd be weird, with Mike not in the drummer's seat anymore. And I've never got the chance to see them live all togetherUnhappy
Liefde heerse op Aarde
Liebe herrsche auf Erden
Love reign on Earth
Amor regat Tellurem
Que l'amour règne sur la Terre
Mouse444 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 07:10
Don't think I care at all about this. Never really thought of DT as anything more than a bridge between Prog and Metal and I like both anyway. Kamelot cream them in the song stakes in my humble opinion. I think that Portnoy will fare the better of the two though as he is a workhorse and that I admire. It's interesting that he "had" to leave though!!
Shades of Gabriel???
Mouser
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:42
Originally posted by Arnold_Layne Arnold_Layne wrote:

not bad but i'd prefer a new platypus album
With the thousand projects and albums that Derek has... I prefer a nice keyboard less Jelly Jam than a Platypus album... but I love that project. It's great to be fan of a band with so active members...
drumstikker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 16:56
This is sad news...

I saw them very recently in Cleveland.  They were excellent as they always are.  There are more to DT than any one, they are the sum of their parts.

Mike Portnoy is fantastic.  If he wants to do something different that is is priviledge.  I am confident that DT will go on, and things will be intact.  There is no way that a group of musicians with the amount of talent and ability as all members of DT possess will they dare go wrong in any situation.  Other groups have been making changes for millenia with success...although I will miss this combo...I will follow them anywhere for I know they will produce good music.
nordan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 22:33
My son told me about this, o F#####G S###T, this is something like when PG leave Genesis or when Waters left PF. Well, at least I enjoyed the band a lot and I saw them with my two sons in Orlando.

long life to the R&R
HotToad5 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 20:07
Life is full of changes - 25 years was a great run, and MP has done some outstanding work with other bands and projects. DT will enter a new phase, hopefully an exciting one, and MP will continue to do outstanding work wherever his creative heart may lead him.
ProgFrog
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 20:43
Looks like my wish came true in the first.
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 06:13
Some people have changed some of Dream Theater wiki entries with childish remarks. Confused

Even attacking the members photos with abusive names under their pictures.

Seems to be corrected now by wiki.
CYMRU AM BYTH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>