Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOctavarium (a concept album?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Octavarium (a concept album?)
    Posted: June 07 2005 at 02:37
My thoughts on Octavarium and the thought that it can be be mistaken as a concept album.............

After a few listens you'll realize the genius that is Dream Theater. As with many of their earlier works, the true meaning and brilliance of the songs appear after several listens. Grab a good pair of earphones and escape for over an hour as you listen to this awesome CD. The first tune, Root Of All Evil, takes off where Train of Thought left off. While you listen you may think "oh no, it's Train of Thought all over again" because of its continuation of This Dying Soul (although after ten or so listens I feel that this entire CD is a continuation of This Dying Soul) but you will enjoy the groovy rhythm and instrumental superiority that is Dream Theater. The next song, The Answer Lies Within, is a breath of fresh air from the last cd and the first song. It is extremely mellow with positive lyrics, beautiful vocals and music - sort of like what you'd expect when you'd go to your parents for advice or on Sunday at church. These Walls is one of my favorites on the CD. Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci support James Labrie to provide a tight and well written "song" that can easily be a single. With lyrics concerning the thought that we can be better than what we are and "walls" are holding us back from being all that we can be (a theme that is repeated in several songs on the album). The next song "I Walk Beside You" will shock the die-hard Dream Theater fan. It is truly a radio hit (unlike You - Not Me). It is a Great (Feel Good) Song - Something I knew Dream Theater could create. With lyrics that produce religious undertones (sort of like what God would say to us if He was able to talk to us) and a vibrant uplifting rhythm it should be played on radio stations throughout the world. Things change on the album with Panic Attack. This is where Dream Theater can show a listener what they are made of. Awesome rhythm, intense lyrics and tremendous vocals all rolled up into a superior song. Unlike their last few albums, there isn't any 5 minute virtuoso solos on this track - It's pure adrenaline - compact and solid!! Lyrically realistic as to what one would experience while experiencing a Panic Attack (I've had several and its obvious that some member of Dream Theater had experienced one). Very heavy tune that I can't wait to see played live! Never Enough is another one of my favorites -cool lyrics and extra cool arrangements. I don't think I have heard a song that was played like this before. It's one of those songs you would like to dedicate to a dictatorially possessive boss. Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium are two extra long songs that show the talents of all members of the band including John Myung. Sacrificed Sons has a beautiful chorus and a killer solo. It is based on the 9/11 tragedy and it disguises itself as "yet another 9/11 song" but the meaning is (imo) what was experienced emotionally while this tragedy occurred, before our eyes, on national TV. Leading to doubt what "faith in God" can do to make the exact opposite of God's intent unfold. It graphically describes what I think the average American was experiencing on that horrific day. Octavarium takes Dream Theater to a different level. Old Pink Floyd is running scared on this one. An audibly incredible intro with some of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard recorded which turns into a deep and emotional song with fascinating lyrics and choruses. It is definitely up there with a Change of Seasons in my book. It gets better and better with each listen as does the entire CD. It picks up the theme of growing older and searching for security as we approach middle age (in sort of a Beatle-esque type of way). A beautiful bass line by Myung leads into a picture painted by Labrie's vocals of an individual who is numb (catatonic). It's as though Dream Theater is creating a metaphor of the average middle aged person in the world - numbed by life's challenges. You will enjoy the melody outlined by a flute and a beautiful guitar solo that finishes this 75 minute cd with class! Throughout the CD you will hear this melody that is akin to a Mozart or Chopin symphony on the context of its beauty. The lyrics of each song seem to flow together as a concept album would (although DT claims that this is not a concept album) with the theme of the ups and downs of life due to external circumstances (alcoholism, religion, terrorism, oppression). Many people will relate to the lyrics of this masterpiece. I hope the fans will enjoy Octavarium as I currently am. Listen to it over and over and you will agree it ranks among the best this band has ever produced. Thanks again Dream Theater for making life a little more interesting in 2005.

John Gregs
Bowzo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 06:33

Yeah, man I can't wait to get that! Today man... today..

But with the whole concept idea thing, it's somewhat reminiscent of Jethro Tull's Aqualung, I think that's the right album... people claimed to be a concept album,but they insisted it was just a group of songs.

nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 06:50

Originally posted by DTFANIAM DTFANIAM wrote:

Throughout the CD you will hear this melody that is akin to a Mozart or Chopin symphony on the context of its beauty.

That melody is certainly beautiful. Not as beautiful as any of the Mozart symphonies, IMHO, but... to compare it with a Chopin symphony is really too much: it can NEVER be as beautiful as a Chopin symphony, for the simple reason that Chopin wrote NO symphonies at all.

Sorry mate, but I couldn't avoid it...

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 07:47
Originally posted by DTFANIAM DTFANIAM wrote:

My thoughts on Octavarium and the thought that it can be be mistaken as a concept album.............

After a few listens you'll realize the genius that is Dream Theater. As with many of their earlier works, the true meaning and brilliance of the songs appear after several listens. Grab a good pair of earphones and escape for over an hour as you listen to this awesome CD. The first tune, Root Of All Evil, takes off where Train of Thought left off. While you listen you may think "oh no, it's Train of Thought all over again" because of its continuation of This Dying Soul (although after ten or so listens I feel that this entire CD is a continuation of This Dying Soul) but you will enjoy the groovy rhythm and instrumental superiority that is Dream Theater. The next song, The Answer Lies Within, is a breath of fresh air from the last cd and the first song. It is extremely mellow with positive lyrics, beautiful vocals and music - sort of like what you'd expect when you'd go to your parents for advice or on Sunday at church. These Walls is one of my favorites on the CD. Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci support James Labrie to provide a tight and well written "song" that can easily be a single. With lyrics concerning the thought that we can be better than what we are and "walls" are holding us back from being all that we can be (a theme that is repeated in several songs on the album). The next song "I Walk Beside You" will shock the die-hard Dream Theater fan. It is truly a radio hit (unlike You - Not Me). It is a Great (Feel Good) Song - Something I knew Dream Theater could create. With lyrics that produce religious undertones (sort of like what God would say to us if He was able to talk to us) and a vibrant uplifting rhythm it should be played on radio stations throughout the world. Things change on the album with Panic Attack. This is where Dream Theater can show a listener what they are made of. Awesome rhythm, intense lyrics and tremendous vocals all rolled up into a superior song. Unlike their last few albums, there isn't any 5 minute virtuoso solos on this track - It's pure adrenaline - compact and solid!! Lyrically realistic as to what one would experience while experiencing a Panic Attack (I've had several and its obvious that some member of Dream Theater had experienced one). Very heavy tune that I can't wait to see played live! Never Enough is another one of my favorites -cool lyrics and extra cool arrangements. I don't think I have heard a song that was played like this before. It's one of those songs you would like to dedicate to a dictatorially possessive boss. Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium are two extra long songs that show the talents of all members of the band including John Myung. Sacrificed Sons has a beautiful chorus and a killer solo. It is based on the 9/11 tragedy and it disguises itself as "yet another 9/11 song" but the meaning is (imo) what was experienced emotionally while this tragedy occurred, before our eyes, on national TV. Leading to doubt what "faith in God" can do to make the exact opposite of God's intent unfold. It graphically describes what I think the average American was experiencing on that horrific day. Octavarium takes Dream Theater to a different level. Old Pink Floyd is running scared on this one. An audibly incredible intro with some of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard recorded which turns into a deep and emotional song with fascinating lyrics and choruses. It is definitely up there with a Change of Seasons in my book. It gets better and better with each listen as does the entire CD. It picks up the theme of growing older and searching for security as we approach middle age (in sort of a Beatle-esque type of way). A beautiful bass line by Myung leads into a picture painted by Labrie's vocals of an individual who is numb (catatonic). It's as though Dream Theater is creating a metaphor of the average middle aged person in the world - numbed by life's challenges. You will enjoy the melody outlined by a flute and a beautiful guitar solo that finishes this 75 minute cd with class! Throughout the CD you will hear this melody that is akin to a Mozart or Chopin symphony on the context of its beauty. The lyrics of each song seem to flow together as a concept album would (although DT claims that this is not a concept album) with the theme of the ups and downs of life due to external circumstances (alcoholism, religion, terrorism, oppression). Many people will relate to the lyrics of this masterpiece. I hope the fans will enjoy Octavarium as I currently am. Listen to it over and over and you will agree it ranks among the best this band has ever produced. Thanks again Dream Theater for making life a little more interesting in 2005.

I just wanted to add that Chopin's first symphony was definitely influenced by Beethoven's 2nd violin concerto.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 07:54

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I just wanted to add that Chopin's first symphony was definitely influenced by Beethoven's 2nd violin concerto.

Yes, but Beethoven's 2nd violin concerto was greatly influenced by Mozart's cello concertos No. 1 & 2...

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 07:58
Of course, how could I overlook that?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 08:00
Ahh now this is what I like to see... A Dream Theater thread turning into a classical music discussion. Hehehehe... 
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 09:08

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Ahh now this is what I like to see... A Dream Theater thread turning into a classical music discussion. Hehehehe... 

Yes, but it's a very progressive and heavy classical discussion

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 10:59
Putting the words ''genius'' and ''Dream Theater'' in the same sentence didn't encourage me to read the rest of the review. 
Tony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 11:59
Dude... Paragraphs!!!
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 12:01

Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Dude... Paragraphs!!!

True!!!! My teachers would give you a mark less for the composition!!!!!!

henri_ds View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 13:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Putting the words ''genius'' and ''Dream Theater'' in the same sentence didn't encourage me to read the rest of the review. 

the DT hating thing is getting booooooooooooooooooooring dudes....get over it....
samuel.jeronimo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 13:45

Hello DTFANIAM,

I must say that your text made me interested in this new album by Dream Theater.

I kinda lost interest after “Six Degrees...”, but gonna dig this one out!

Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 15:04
Originally posted by samuel.jeronimo samuel.jeronimo wrote:

Hello DTFANIAM,

I must say that your text made me interested in this new album by Dream Theater.

I kinda lost interest after “Six Degrees...”, but gonna dig this one out!

You should- it's really good! I feel it's lightyears ahead of "Train of Thought."

Post Reply Post Reply