Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Romantic Warriors" film screenings (USA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Romantic Warriors" film screenings (USA)
    Posted: September 10 2010 at 12:44
For those of you in or around Washington DC - tonight there will be a FREE showing of the progressive rock documentary film Romantic Warriors presented by the Mexican Cultural Institute, located at 2829 16th St., NW. The event starts at 6:30pm with a wine reception, then the movie at 7:00pm. Following the movie and a short Q&A session with the film makers (Adele Schmidt and Jose Zegarra Holder) there will be a pair of solo performances; Dan Britton (Delube Grander) will perform some of his works on grand piano, and Mauricio Sotelo (Cabezas de Cera) will perform some of his music on Chapman Stick. 

It's quite easy to get to the Mexican Cultural Institute for those of us from Baltimore, and it's a short walk from the Columbia Heights metro station. Note that to attend you need to RSVP to: 

Cristina Díaz-Muñoz: 
[email protected] 
(202) 728-1628 

So make the call and come on down to enjoy a truly unique event in a beautiful setting!  
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 12:45
If only I still lived in DC...
Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 13:15
Hi Patrick, 

We hope to organize more screenings of the movie in the US East Coast, hopefully near your area (are you in Philly?)

By the way, should you be interested in buying this documentary, it is available for sale at http://www.progdocs.com

Best,
Adele & Jose
Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 13:30

Short but inspired note in the Washington City Paper highlighting the screening of Romantic Warriors at the Mexican Cultural Institute in DC.

Romantic Warriors at the Mexican Cultural Institute 
Friday, September 10 

Racks full of old 45s are flooded with songs no more than three minutes in length. The music stopped dead in its tracks—the melody unapologetically muted. Such was the accustomed norm for rock and roll until the prescience of the '70s unleashed progressive rock for our ears delight. Ever since, bands from across the globe have happily carried on the mantle left by their esteemed forebears like Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. In the new feature-length film Romantic Warriors, award-winning documentarian Adele Schmidt and progressive rock blogger José Zegarra Holder shed light on this tight-knit community commercial music left behind. The filmmakers follow 10 contemporary bands hailing from Silver Spring to Mexico City, whose members profess both their inspirations and ongoing devotions to the genre. The passing of progressive rock's heyday hasn't halted the music; it's only reinforced the resolve of its fans for the music they revere to play on. Romantic Warriors is a loud and clear testament that it assuredly will. 

THE FILM SCREENS AT 6:30 P.M. AT THE MEXICAN CULTURAL INSTITUTE, 2829 16TH ST. NW. FREE. (202) 728-1647. 

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39696/romantic-warriors-at-the-mexican-cultural-institute-september-10/ 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 13:44
We'll be there - or, at least, I will beSmile!
Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 13:52
Raffaella,

Great that you plan to come. We expect a significant non-prog-aware crowd, so we are happy to count with you and hopefully a few other fellow prog fans to accompany us and the musicians tonight.

See you!

Adele & Jose

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 13:54
Originally posted by Morelli Morelli wrote:

Hi Patrick, 

We hope to organize more screenings of the movie in the US East Coast, hopefully near your area (are you in Philly?)

By the way, should you be interested in buying this documentary, it is available for sale at http://www.progdocs.com

Best,
Adele & Jose

I am near Philly, but probably couldn't make it to that either.  LOL

No worries, I'll be purchasing the documentary soon.  Thumbs Up
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 15:38
Cool, I plan to buy this DVD soon. It would be nice to see Mauricio and Dan on stage the same day, but it is far from me.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 15:49
Memo, 

We'll try to capture Dan and Mauricio's performance tonight on HD video and post it to YouTube. You can also befriend our Facebook page "Romantic Warriors - A Progressive Music Saga" to keep abreast of all our screenings, video clip posts, film festivals, etc. 

Best,

Adele & Jose

Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 16:00
For those of you interested, please watch our couple of trailers to get a taste of the documentary

and 

Best,

Adele & Jose

DVD available for sale worldwide at http://www.progdocs.com 

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 08:23
Great eveningClap! We really enjoyed ourselves, and the music was first-rate. Thanks to José and Adele for putting the documentary together, and for inviting us to the screening.

Pity that ProgArchives missed the opportunity of being included in the documentary. Having a table or something to that effect at NEARfest would have given the site a lot more exposure and relevance. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 16:23
Originally posted by Morelli Morelli wrote:

Memo, 

We'll try to capture Dan and Mauricio's performance tonight on HD video and post it to YouTube. You can also befriend our Facebook page "Romantic Warriors - A Progressive Music Saga" to keep abreast of all our screenings, video clip posts, film festivals, etc. 

Best,

Adele & Jose

Thanks, I've just joined.Smile

Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 19:37
Just a taste of the performances:

Dan Britton of Deluge Grander and Birds and Buildings performing song variations of the album "The Form of The Good"  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWiYvnM6SVM

and the Improv of Mauricio Sotelo on Chapman Stick and Dan Britton on Grand Piano - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bY2AyMGlM
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 12:10
The Baltimore Progressive Rock Showcases & Zeitgeist Media
invite you to the screening of the documentary
Romantic Warriors - A Progressive Music Saga
and the live performance of
Chapman Stick Artist Rob Martino

Date: Saturday, December 4th
Time: 8:00pm
(Bring your own beverage and folding chair)

Where:
2903 Whittington Ave # C
Baltimore, MD 21230-1461
(410) 646-7334

Cover: $10 at the door

Join us after the screening for a Q&A with the filmmakers and Rob Martino who is featured in the film.

[email protected]
More info about the film:
www.progdocs.com

Find us on Facebook

"A masterful job of capturing the essence of progressive rock as an underground phenomenon.
-Progression Magazine

Featuring: Phideaux, Karmakanic, Deluge Grander, D.F.A. Cabezas de Cera, Cheer Accident, La Maschera di Cera, Oblivion Sun, Rob Martino, Qui, Gentle Giant, Paul Sears, Roine Stolt and Gary Green.

Rob Martino

I've distilled many of my various progressive rock, folk and classical music influences, as well as some techniques I picked up on other instruments, and attempted to incorporate it into my own style on the Stick. My intent is to create soulful and intricate music that takes the listener on a journey though different moods, themes and sonic images. On the surface, there is often a mellow and melodic feel to the music on this album, but with careful attention one can also discover many subtle harmonic and structural complexities. - -Rob Martino

Stores where you can find the Romantic Warriors DVD:
Driving Directions:

From South:
Take I-95 toward Baltimore. Take exit 50A to merge onto S Caton Ave./Patapsco Ave. After a quarter mile, turn left on Washington Blvd. Turn right at Gable Ave. (there is a U-Haul Moving & Storage place on the corner). Turn left onto Whittington Ave. until dead end; Orion will be on the right.

From North:
Take I-95 toward Washington. Take exit 50A-50B for S Caton Ave./Patapsco Ave. After a quarter mile, turn left on Washington Blvd. Turn right at Gable Ave. (there is a U-Haul Moving & Storage place on the corner). Turn left onto Whittington Ave. until dead end; Orion will be on the right.

Edit ImageOrionZeitgeist Media Logo
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 15:54

This is a great DVD. I'll review it soon.

Post Reply Post Reply