Topic ClosedCannata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannata
    Posted: September 15 2010 at 02:31

Jeff Cannata is a US artist who's been active as a musician since the late 60's, first in progressie rock act Jasper Wrath, and in the early 80's with hard rock outfit Arc Angel. He later released some solo albums too.

I got in touch with Jeff for the story.

###########################################

When and where were you born and why did you become a musician ?

New Haven, Connecticut......... In the early days of electricity . I guess music was in the family genes.

First of all, let us revisit Jasper Wrath and the album you released. Please tell us more about the self titled album from 1971 and your memories of your time in that band.

The original lineup , pre  James Christian, was formed in 1969. After a few months together, we decided to work on original material, and somehow develop a sound that would be our own. After 6 months or so we sent out demos to a few labels in New York and LA. We were offered a deal from MGM Records and few weeks later we were in New York recording our first LP. The band rehearsed 6 days a week. Religiously.......

You also spent some time in the hard rock band Arc Angel (who released one album in 1983). Please tell us more about this band and your time there.

Arc Angel was not actually a band .......After the first lineup of JW disbanded, Michael Soldan , ( keyboard / lyricist ) and I wrote and recorded a handful of demos. I sent sent them to a friend in NY and he forwarded them to Lennie Petze at Epic Records. He liked the tracks, and I was signed to CBS. I then rehearsed with several musician friends a few weeks an then began recording the Arc Angel Project here in Connecticut..........It was mixed in New York at The Power Station with Tony Bongiovi

You went solo at the end of the 1980s with Cannata. Let us run through your albums because these may be somewhat unknown to many of the members in our community. Just give us your opinions and reflections about:

The first, in the group of solo records was the Arc Angel project ( above )

Images of Forever from 1988

At the time of the Arc Angel record, I was managed by David Wolff, who also was managing Cindi Lauper , a pop singer you may know of.  A month after " Tragedy" ( from Arc Angel ) was released Cindi had a #1 record with " Girls Just Want To Have Fun" , following that " Time After Time ".........again #1

So David had to go to Japan and a worldwide tour to promote Cindi's over the top success. The Arc Angel release was over shadowed here in the states. However in Germany and neighboring countries it was very well received. I was given a release from management to seek another contract.

A friend of mine at Epic sent some of my new demos to a label in Paris ( Carrere )  with worldwide distribution
through CBS. They like the tracks and I was signed to a new label and given financial support to build a studio in my home. The next record would be " Images Of Forever"  1988 Mixed in LA by Bill Dresher ( Rick Springfield's producer)

Watching the World from 1993

Four or so years had past.............I received a phone call from a label exec. at a new label in the UK. Now and Then Records, Mark Ashton. He had heard some of my new material and was interested in putting together a deal. We did............." Watching The World " 1993

Jasper Wrath Anthology  2-CD Set (1969-1976)

After the WTW releases , there were a number of requests for material from the different incarnations of Jasper Wrath. I decided to remaster , live , studio and demo tracks of our time together as a band. In the second lineup of Wrath, james Christian would handle lead vocals and guitar. The limited edition Anthology sold out in a short time

Arc Angel/Cannata split Tamorok from 2002.

Tamorok had several new songs, and three songs from " Images of Forever" and a new recorded version of " Stars" from the Arc Angel CBS release ........ I had traveled to Cairo , Egypt a few years before and was intrigued with the Egyptian myths , culture and architecture, so I thought to incorporate those motifs into the new CD titled Arc Angel -Cannata " Tamorok"

Mysterium Magnum from 2006

Some years had passed, began to write for a new record. A year or so recording / mixing , released
Mysterium Magnum on Oxford Circus Records.  Soon after I began working with video / editing  and filmmaking, which to this day takes up most of my schedule.

My Back Pages: Volume I from 2009

After the Mysterium Magnum release, decided to have some fun and put together a CD of songs that had caught my attention in my early days as a songwriter.  Covering a diverse collection of songs by The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Bowie, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and King Crimson to name a few........My first and only cover album.

What is the latest update on Cannata and what is your plans for this and next year ?

I attended  Quinnipiac University this past summer taking an intensive filmmaking course there.
These next few years I will be concentrating on  scriptwriting, filmmaking, and  soundtrack / trailer music.

How would you describe your own music and who would you compare yourself with ?

I have been told that Cannata music is a hybrid of progressive and melodic rock, i would agree with that.

What is your experiences with the music industry and where do you think it is heading ?

The mid-eighties were a very good time for me in the music industry , and  the seventies were a very creative and adventurous time for new and progressive ideas.

Do you have any regrets in your career ?

Probably, but can't remember what they were

What is your five favourite albums of all time ?

Court of The Crimson King, King Crimson, Genesis, " Foxtrot ". Peter Gabriel, " So" , Yes, Moody Blues, Gentle Giant

Anything you want to add to this interview ?

Need to develope a couple of film ideas I have , then will be back to writing some new Cannata  tunes.
Thanks for the interview......Torodd 

Thank you to Jeff for this interview

His PA profile is here and his homepage is here

Post Reply Post Reply