Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Procol Harum vs Elton John (their classic years)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProcol Harum vs Elton John (their classic years)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Gary Brooker/Kieth Reid vs Elton John/Bernie Taupin
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [75.51%]
12 [24.49%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procol Harum vs Elton John (their classic years)
    Posted: September 16 2010 at 10:24
both are famous for the partnering with composition and lyrics (in PH it is mainly Brooker/Reid but sometimes Fisher/Brooker/Reid, Brooker/Trower/ Reid) but mostly Brooker/Reid, and Elton have honestly said that the partnered songwriting in Procol Harum is one if he's main influences as a musician, and I will by hearth say that Elton took the concept even further)

both playes symphonic blues rock, with classical and country undertones (and everything in between)
I will say that Elton have more peaks but Procol have more beautifull moments (Hotel Grand, In Held, Salty Dog (album) and other great small epics)

which do you think pull it of best

Edited by aginor - September 16 2010 at 10:53
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 10:53
Procol Harum.  I haven't heard anything from Elton John that, for me, would equal "In Held Twas in I".

Just a fanboy passin' through.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 10:59
However good Elton John;s songs might be, they cannot match with Procol's peak moments.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 11:03
^^ what about the album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, everytime I play that from start to finish I can't hear any weak points, some of the songs there are so heartfeldt, a real crossover prog album (by essence and tone), Someone Saved my Life Tonight, title track, We all Fall In Love Sometimes/Curtains are all quite impressive songs espessially when the final song reach it's peaks/climax.

to me a perfect album need to balance two elements/aspectstechnics: Dynamics and Climax (everything else is just rudementary,but if you understand those two concepts in a size of an album then you are where you need to be)

Edited by aginor - September 16 2010 at 15:49
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 11:38
Elton

Edited by tuxon - September 16 2010 at 11:38
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 13:46
Procol Harum by far. Elton John has good songs and some great albums, specially Madman Across the Waters, but Procol Harum first tree are much better than anything Elton John has done.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 13:55
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

^^ what about the album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, everytime I play that from start to finish I can't hear any weak points, some of the songs there are so heartfeldt, a real crossover prog album (by essence and tone), Someone Saved my Life Tonight, title track, We all Fall In Love Sometimes/Curtains are all quite impressive songs espessially when the final song reach it's peaks/climax.

to me a perfect album need to balance to elements/aspectstechnics: Dynamics and Climax (everything else is just rudementary,but if you understand those to concepts in a size of an album then you are where you need to be)

ClapClapClap

Also check out Madman Across The Water, Blue moves
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 15:54
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

to me a perfect album need to balance two elements/aspectstechnics: Dynamics and Climax (everything else is just rudementary,but if you understand those two concepts in a size of an album then you are where you need to be)

ClapClapClap

Also check out Madman Across The Water, Blue moves
  I have Madman, Tumbleweed, Goodbye, Elton John, Captain Fantastic and Don't Shoot Me...I lack (from the classic era) Blue Moves, Honkey Chateau, Empty Sky, Caribou and Rock at the Westies

I have all the classic Procol Harum classic albums (becouse they were cheap and all were available at the recordstore at the same time, and I went nuts..., but that dumb recordstore dont't have those Elton albums I miss Angry )

Edited by aginor - September 16 2010 at 15:56
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 15:57
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

However good Elton John;s songs might be, they cannot match with Procol's peak moments.

^^THIS!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 16:18
I also think Elton is a better singer then Brooker (epessialy in the 70s)

very few can touch Elton's singing voice when he was at he's peak (between Dont shoot me and Captain Fantastic), just see at all the time people at American Idol, X-factor and such "talent " shows they all are OK on most artists and are adequete at their best,but they fall completly thorough their facade on two attempts singing Queen (becuse of Freddie offcourse), and Elton John, he is technicly verry hard to actualy sing becouse he have so big register and tone controll, and have those crystal clear falcettos and the band are good to back him upp, few points this out when people are comparing singing in general but Elton should be highlighted more then he does,

and Brooker aint no slack on vocals ether he's voice can at best be compared du Randy Newman and Joe Cocker (and that is not bad to be compared to these two, they are two of the best in the buisness)

both Brooker and Elton have both been mistakningly thought as afro-american singers becouse of their soul-full tone and phraseing, and few singers are better then afro-american soul singers.

Edited by aginor - September 16 2010 at 16:21
progvortex View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 00:24
My signature justifies my selection. 
Life is like a beanstalk... isn't it?
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 23:24

Let's hope Little Yellow Jacket isn't voting (being partially owned by Bernie), because he would surely kick Procol's ass.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 06:32
I find this interesting because for example if you listen to the song "Yellow Brick Road" you can easily hear Gary Brooker singing it. The same applies to "Don't Let The Sun Shine Down On Me",.....Gary Brooker would have been the ideal candidate for lead vocal as well. He is the only person besides Elton himself that I can think of who is vocally suitable for the style. There are other Elton John ballads.....ones that are a bit gloomy and remind me of Procol Harum songs. Especially on the "Grand Hotel" album. Elton had crossed into the progressive world during his brief rejection from the King Crimson audition. I can hear Elton singing "I Talk to the Wind". He always had a great voice for that kind of stuff and this is easily indicated on his early ballads. He wrote truly inventive chord progressions that were sometimes reminiscent of Procol Harum and The Beatles.   
Progist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 11:25
I see the poll is going in favour of PH, and I, for one, won't be bucking the trend.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 19:04
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I find this interesting because for example if you listen to the song "Yellow Brick Road" you can easily hear Gary Brooker singing it. The same applies to "Don't Let The Sun Shine Down On Me",.....Gary Brooker would have been the ideal candidate for lead vocal as well. He is the only person besides Elton himself that I can think of who is vocally suitable for the style. There are other Elton John ballads.....ones that are a bit gloomy and remind me of Procol Harum songs. Especially on the "Grand Hotel" album. Elton had crossed into the progressive world during his brief rejection from the King Crimson audition. I can hear Elton singing "I Talk to the Wind". He always had a great voice for that kind of stuff and this is easily indicated on his early ballads. He wrote truly inventive chord progressions that were sometimes reminiscent of Procol Harum and The Beatles.   
this is a good post, I agree with this.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 19:20
Procol by a long way...though Elton had a surprising number of really great songs too but more rock than prog (the excellent Funeral for a Friend the exception to the rule)...
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 19:40
Elton
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 20:02
I still listen to Procol Harum. I haven't listened to Elton in years.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 21:50
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I also think Elton is a better singer then Brooker (epessialy in the 70s)

very few can touch Elton's singing voice when he was at he's peak (between Dont shoot me and Captain Fantastic), just see at all the time people at American Idol, X-factor and such "talent " shows they all are OK on most artists and are adequete at their best,but they fall completly thorough their facade on two attempts singing Queen (becuse of Freddie offcourse), and Elton John, he is technicly verry hard to actualy sing becouse he have so big register and tone controll, and have those crystal clear falcettos and the band are good to back him upp, few points this out when people are comparing singing in general but Elton should be highlighted more then he does,

and Brooker aint no slack on vocals ether he's voice can at best be compared du Randy Newman and Joe Cocker (and that is not bad to be compared to these two, they are two of the best in the buisness)

both Brooker and Elton have both been mistakningly thought as afro-american singers becouse of their soul-full tone and phraseing, and few singers are better then afro-american soul singers.

What would happen if any of them tried to sing some Yes, or some Renaissance? Or something from Peter Hamill or Banco del Mutuo Socorsso?
 Post Reply Post Reply