Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Albums Tournament: Tarkus vs. Lizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
53 [53.54%]
46 [46.46%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Albums Tournament: Tarkus vs. Lizard
    Posted: September 20 2010 at 15:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Tarkus: Immense song, sh*t album

Confused
The 'song' as you call it makes up half the album. This seems contradictory to me therefore.

One 5-star song + six 1-2 star songs isn't contradictory; even if the former is half of the album, the result is still an inconsistent 3-star mess. In fact, even if the title track lasted the whole album, it would still be just a good song and not a very great album (a bit samey no?)............
You called it 'immense' but wrote off the whole album as 'sh*t'. 3 star is a fair rating but 'sh*t' to me means 1 star for everything.That said I understand your point.

Okay yeah, so it's just quite poor towards the end, not sh*t, but not as good as Lizard in any case!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 15:06

Confused
The 'song' as you call it makes up half the album. This seems contradictory to me therefore.

One 5-star song + six 1-2 star songs isn't contradictory; even if the former is half of the album, the result is still an inconsistent 3-star mess. In fact, even if the title track lasted the whole album, it would still be just a good song and not a very great album (a bit samey no?)............
You called it 'immense' but wrote off the whole album as 'sh*t'. 3 star is a fair rating but 'sh*t' to me means 1 star for everything.That said I understand your point.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:59

Confused

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:53

Confused
Kojak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:41
You know, Tarkus just slightly ahead of Lizard...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:34

Lizard: Immense song, Immense album
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 14:30
I guess you are right Greg, that does fit PA's opinion on both, but this website does create some distortions.

ELP sold millions upon millions of albums wile KC struggled through decades to sell 500k copies of their most known and famous album (the debut), on the US, not to mention that ELP is a band that is instantly recognized or remembered as a progressive rock band even outside the prog cicles, something that KC is not.

But you are right in anyway.

Edited by CCVP - September 17 2010 at 14:31
DeKay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 13:36
Lizard. That wasn't easy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 11:49
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Are you guys kidding me? Tarkus is one of the apexes of progressive rock wile Lizard is just a forgotten KC album sandwiched between their two big 70's incarnations.

Sometimes this website is just . . . .

wow.

EDIT: well, I can understand that, knowing how so many people just LOVE ELP. They aren't my favorite band either, but credit is payed where credit is due. . . .

Lizard is not a forgotten KC album. In fact, it's one of the best albums the band ever released. Tarkus is epic, but the rest of the album is so weak that it really makes for a tough sell. I am not surprised by this poll result at all.

The ammount of reviews say otherwise. . . .

And I do really love Lizard. Tarkus is just far more important and just plaily better. It really amazes me how many people don't like the second part of the album, it is much more experimental and progressive than Lizard. . . .

Originally posted by Anirml Anirml wrote:

Lizard is completely unique. You don't find any other songs that sound like Indoor games, Cirkus or Happy Family (atleast I haven't found any). For me the long title track is for winter times Embarrassed
I wouldn't even mind if it was voted as number one best prog album ever! If you "get into" Lizard you will be amazed Tongue. It seems to get better and better with time, for me.

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

The thing is, the poll asks for this: "Which one do you prefer?" not "Which one is more important/progressive?" and apparently more people prefer Lizard (like me), whether or not they've reviewed it.  I haven't reviewed either one.

My contribution to CCVP's post: The number of reviews indicate that it's a forgotten album?  Not only is King Crimson such a huge band at PA that I don't think one could call any of the studio albums forgotten, but Lizard has many reviews and a total of 366 ratings with a  score of 4.11.  Maybe my tastes are often obscure enough that I have a very different concept of forgotten or what qualifies as many reviews.

Just to focus on the late 69 through 70's albums, Lizard has more ratings and a higher rating than the subsequent album, as well as the former album, as well as Starless.... And the number of ratings isn't even that far behind what is many people's favourite King Crimson album (including mine), Larks' Tongues in Aspic. I would hardly call any of these forgotten.

4.56 | 917 ratings
In The Court Of The Crimson King 3.73

3.73 | 313 ratings
In The Wake Of Poseidon

4.11 | 366 ratings
Lizard

3.77 | 275 ratings
Islands

4.35 | 426 ratings
Larks' Tongues In Aspic

3.84 | 258 ratings
Starless And Bible Black

4.48 | 567 ratings
Red

Now let's look at Tarkus:

4.04 | 311 ratings
Tarkus

Tarkus has fewer ratings at PA than Lizard as well as a lower "score".  So what's your point? The poll results seem in-line with that.

Tarkus is not plainly better to me, nor is it plainly more progressive (I would say that Tarkus was a considerable progression for ELP from the debut, but I prefer the debut). This poll is about preferences, though, and I can say that Lizard is plainly better for me. I really like it, whereas I don't care for Tarkus.  Even when I liked ELP muchly, Tarkus, on the whole, left me cold. I do prefer King Crimson in general.  And while there are many ELP detractors at PA, it's clear that there are many who love ELP.

Edited by Logan - September 17 2010 at 12:03
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 11:18
Hmmm, Tarkus is making a decent fist of this.  Another vote will help....
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 10:07

Lizard is not a forgotten KC album. In fact, it's one of the best albums the band ever released. Tarkus is epic, but the rest of the album is so weak that it really makes for a tough sell. I am not surprised by this poll result at all.

And I do really love Lizard. Tarkus is just far more important and just plaily better. It really amazes me how many people don't like the second part of the album, it is much more experimental and progressive than Lizard. . . .

The thing is, the poll asks for this: "Which one do you prefer?" not "Which one is more important/progressive?" and apparently more people prefer Lizard (like me), whether or not they've reviewed it.  I haven't reviewed either one.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 09:37
Without thinking : Lizard
The song "Tarkus" is a masterpiece, the album is a 3 stars album (even if I like "The Oily Way" and "Infinite Space" enough). But Lizard is one of the best albums of all times and rare are the albums which surpass it!
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 09:36
Without hesitating : Lizard
The song "Tarkus" is a masterpiece, the album is a 3 stars album (even if I like "The Oily Way" and "Infinite Space" enough). But Lizard is one of the best albums of all times and rare are the albums which surpass it!
Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 09:09

Are you guys kidding me? Tarkus is one of the apexes of progressive rock wile Lizard is just a forgotten KC album sandwiched between their two big 70's incarnations.

wow.

EDIT: well, I can understand that, knowing how so many people just LOVE ELP. They aren't my favorite band either, but credit is payed where credit is due. . . .

Lizard is completely unique. You don't find any other songs that sound like Indoor games, Cirkus or Happy Family (atleast I haven't found any). For me the long title track is for winter times Embarrassed
I wouldn't even mind if it was voted as number one best prog album ever! If you "get into" Lizard you will be amazed Tongue. It seems to get better and better with time, for me.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 06:03

wow.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 03:50
I haven't heard some tracks of Lizard yet, so I don't vote. But it's a matter of fact that I like ELP's other pre-Works albums more. The title epic on tarkus is great though...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 02:41
I don't love much both those two albums, but I like Tarkus a bit more.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 01:37
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I didn't think Crim had a chance against Tarkus.

Shocked
Around here Crimson are untouchable as are Genesis (Gabriel era) and Gentle Giant.

So one of the most important prog albums by ELP v anything by KC is on a loser.Ouch

Edited by richardh - September 17 2010 at 01:38
Casimir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 00:46
Tarkus, definitely.  Lizard just never really "clicked" with me.  (Except for "Indoor Games."  I love that song.)
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 23:20

wow.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>