Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCountry Joe & The Fish on PA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 08:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

For all its worth : give me Country Joe over The Beatles, but that's just me......

Fortunately this is not a 'bands that I like' archive, regardless of what the naysayers may think.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 14:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Sorry, but they were never Proto Prog simply because they played no part in the evolution of Progressive Rock and their contribution to the genre was zero

And what, exactly, were Jefferson Airplane's* and the Doors'* contributions to Prog?

Yours is an old defense, blinded by tunnel vision, and is quite ridiculous at this point. If this view wasn't detrimental to placing an avant-garde artist in a position to be viewed and possibly appreciated by prog fans, it would  actually be amusing.

* Both the Jefferson Airplane and the Doors are classified as Proto Prog in PA, along with other west coast psychedelic/experimental artists.

Edited by SteveG - October 11 2015 at 14:36
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 16:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Sorry, but they were never Proto Prog simply because they played no part in the evolution of Progressive Rock and their contribution to the genre was zero

And what, exactly, were Jefferson Airplane's* and the Doors'* contributions to Prog
You'll have to ask whoever added them into the archive, I suspect that at least Airplane has been here since before the genre teams were established so their addition probably wasn't governed by the current criteria.
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's a old defense, blinded by tunnel vision, and it's quite ridiculous at this point.
Just once, just for f**king once I'd like to be involved in an exchange of posts from you that doesn't turn into this cheap denigrating form of personal attack. This conversation is over.
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 16:54
No, both Jefferson Airplane and The Doors were added when the genre teams were already operative. If I remember correctly, bands such as Triumph or Super Furry Animals were added to Prog Related in the early days of the site, but most of those "controversial" additions already existed when I joined the site in the summer of 2005.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:11
Speaking only from personal experience, I can say that Country Joe and the Fish were not nearly as well known as the Doors or Jefferson Airplane, and that their influence on prog was not as significant.  Jefferson definitely had influence on bands like Curved Air and, as much as I hate to admit it, some influence on Renaissance, though not as much as Rolling Stone might have you believe.  Re the Doors, others can probably give more evidence and examples, but the vocal passages in Camel's Mirage remind me strongly of the Doors (both in vocal styles and in organ accompaniment) 
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 13:39
I feel like if we include Country Joe then we'll have to have a conversation about Wavy Gravy and the like.  Seems like another one of those slippery slopes.

Then again, we already have Sweetwater and United States of America here so maybe we've already gone into the breach...

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 15:48
Yea. Those less famous weird psyche bands running all through California from 66-68 most likely didn't have much influence on prog. Certainly the 13th Floor Elevators would deserve to be here even more than Country Joe but they don't deserve to be here due to their obscurity. There's a HUGE slew of those kinds of bands.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 15:54
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Yea. Those less famous weird psyche bands (?) running all through California from 66-68 most likely didn't have much influence on prog. Certainly the 13th Floor Elevators would deserve to be here even more than Country Joe but they don't deserve to be here due to their obscurity. There's a HUGE slew of those kinds of bands.
Most people  know Country Joe from his solo Woodstock rant The Fish Cheer. (Give me a F, etc.) The material Joe did as Country Joe & Fish is electric psych rock, like this stoner gem from their first album tilted Section 43:

Most of the problem with CJ & Fish is that many people misidentify their music and think it's folk. (Which is the reason I have no patience left for this topic and the people who should know about it.) And the last time I checked, people thought this music was weird. If anyone was obscure in the late 60s it was the 13th Floor Elevators who only had regional fame. They obtained retro fame from 70s punk bands that claimed them as inspiration.

More weird

Edited by SteveG - October 13 2015 at 16:19
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 18:14
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Speaking only from personal experience, I can say that Country Joe and the Fish were not nearly as well known as the Doors or Jefferson Airplane, and that their influence on prog was not as significant.  Jefferson definitely had influence on bands like Curved Air and, as much as I hate to admit it, some influence on Renaissance, though not as much as Rolling Stone might have you believe.  Re the Doors, others can probably give more evidence and examples, but the vocal passages in Camel's Mirage remind me strongly of the Doors (both in vocal styles and in organ accompaniment) 
The problem with all of this Ken, is that it's speculation without a testimonial from an artist that's said to have been influenced such and such band. I don't doubt that JA and the Doors influenced numerous rock bands, but without an artist (or artists) saying so in print, it's all speculation and wishful thinking.

Edited by SteveG - October 13 2015 at 18:14
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:00
Once again, we go through the same old song and dance about why an artist that's Proto Prog cannot be included in PA because contributors, admins and numerous ex admins, that haunt this site, feel that the music of said artists has no known influence on prog artists, while expounding on artists that they perceive to have been influential without offering a single shred of collaborating evidence, such as artist testimonials, in order to back up such claims. 
I wouldn't mind if these PA members just stated that the site no longer wants to include new Proto Prog artists and it's contrary to the sites owners to remove artists once they are listed in any genre. But that's too easy and decent.
The above noted video from Country Joe & The Fish is an actual Progressive Rock song. It's not a prog song. It doesn't fall into the category of being a watered down version of previously established groups. It's not 'Neo' to any other group or genre. They are the originals.
This song lacks any semblance of a conventional rock song of it's time (47 years ago) in that it lacks a verse, chorus, verse, chorus vocal structure and goes off on unexpected, albeit brief, instrumental sections before unfolding in a heavily distorted guitar jam.
Do I expect the above mentioned to recognize the song as nascent Progressive Rock? Hell no. These are some of the same people that think that a folk rock song must always contain elements of actual folk music.

I can't blame them for listening to California Dreaming by the Mamas And Poppas or Do You Believe In Magic? by the Loving Spoonful and mistakingly think they're hearing elements of Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly or the Carter Family in these songs. But I don't have to pretend that I respect their judgment on matters of artist's genre classifications

Edited by SteveG - October 14 2015 at 10:04
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 08:05
I didn't know much of Country Joe and the Fish before reading this thread, apart of the Woodstock session, but regardless their classification inside or outside PA, I think I'll grab an album.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12