Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How Did You Get Into Prog?...or music in general
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Did You Get Into Prog?...or music in general

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Did You Get Into Prog?...or music in general
    Posted: September 18 2010 at 00:44
It's 6 o'clock in the morning, and I don't want to go down and watch tv because it'll wake up the rest of the house, and if I go down, I'll have to let my cat in, and a he's a noisy little terror (loudest and most talkative cat ever...It's a black cat as well, oh Spooky)

Reet-o, basically I thought people could write down here how they got into prog (this may have been done before, but I am too lazy to look for it)

So my real journey into music began when I was 4. I listened to my mum & dad's cassettes (early 90's as well, we weren't ready for cds I think). While listeing to The Searchers, The Archies etc., I was given a lend of one of my first cds (Michael Jackson's History). I put it onto tape, and every day after reception (kindergarten for Americans), I would come home, and just listen to it non stop, I even wore out the tape, and even rememeber all the stops and skips in the music (one in Heal The World). I also listened to alot of contemporary pop music when I was child, e.g. Simply Red (Stars I think was my first real album I had heard non stop on the radio, and then I was hooked on Fairground), Lighthouse Family, Spice Girls (oh the shame, still like them to this day)

Throughout my early adolescent years, I did listen to quite a bit of Eminem & Nu Metal (Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Drowing Pool). That soon progressed into pop punk, which soon progressed into Metallica.

After my Metallica period, I was hooked on Iron Maiden (my first real prog band). I always loved how they just performed these amazing songs, and even making them over and under 10 minutes long.

When I was a first year in my secondrary Grammar school (that was 6 years ago, mind you), a friend of mine, who shared my likeness of Iron Maiden & another band called Dragonforce (who I had just discovered, a year before everyone else did mind you), told me I should listen to a band called Dream Theater. He whiped out a very early model of an mp3 player, and showed me the song Under A Glass Moon. I thought it was pretty cool, it had some Maiden qualities about them.

A few months later, while I was in a hairdressers, my brother came in and said he got a Dream Theater album (I told him about them, but he didn't really show any interest), and I saw that it had a very dark and odd cover (Train Of Thought). Went home (remembered just their I had to clime through my kitchen window in order to get into the house), and blasted the first song (As I Am). I was so blown away, I just listened to that album again and again and again and so on.

I also rediscovered my love for a pop punk prog band, that goes by the name Coheed & Cambria (who I still love to this day), and Opeth, which again flaired my prog and metal tastes

After being an addict to Dream Theater, and researching about prog, I discovered that I really wanted to get into more technical music, so one day I went into a shop and bought Close To The Edge (that day I also bought Cradle Of Filths Damnation & A Day, which began my love for extreme metal).

Put on the first song, and was just blown away by that opening section, with the almost improv avante garde jazz sections, and Jon Andersons superb vocals.

Yes, became Genesis, Genesis became Marillion, Marillion became Rush, Rush became Death, Death became Dimmu Borgir, Dimmu Borgir became Scar Symmetry, Scar Symmetry became Enter Shikari, Enter Shikari became Immortall, Immortall became Deathspell Omega, Deathspell Omega became Simply Red, Simply Red became Frank Zappa, Frank Zappa became Supertramp, Supertramp became Pain Of Salvation, Pain Of Salvation became SteelyDan, Steely Dan became Merzbow, and so on and so forth.

So basically I'm at an all round musical advantage. I still love all those aritists from my past, and have never really lost touch with them. Really my music taste is open to something thats different, and if it's not different, then it better be interesting and catchy.

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 04:18
Is it this what you are looking for? Wink
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66568
There is also another thread somewhere, but the above is more entertaining.

(Hint: have you already tried the search function?)
arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 13:06
i have, but to be honest, as i said, cudn't be arsed
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 23:08
Two words: KENNY. G.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 11:51
Originally posted by arcane-beautiful arcane-beautiful wrote:

I was hooked on Iron Maiden (my first real prog band).

When I discovered Maiden, I was not into prog at all...and far from guessing that this band has something to do with prog.

Anyway, I see that you are still into rock music, you have still to discover the fabulous worlds of classical music, jazz, blues, country/bluegrass, world/ethnic, electronic music, black music (funk, soul, ska, reggae).
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 23:21
i am into all that stuff, it's just they don't spring to mind at night when I sleep. I'm also a massive Soul & Acid Jazz fan, they move into that whole contemporary movement
fgivens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 00:38
When I first discovered YES, that was the band that got me interested in prog. In later years my taste included bands that used keyboard synthesizers that added a rich element to the musics compositions.
Examples are- MAGELLAN, ENCHANT, BROTHER APE, THE FLOWER KINGS,  EXPLORERS CLUB, PLANET X, SCHON AND HAMMER, GAMMA, 4FRONT, CAIRO, FORIEGNER, SAGA,  to name a few. I still enjoy other genres such as classical - BACH, MOZART. Classic Rock- LED ZEPPELIN, ACDC, AEROSMITH, DEEP PURPLE.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 03:50
Bach is a Baroque composer and Mozart is a Classical composer. I hate it when all orchestral music is labelled as Classical music, t's like calling Paul Potts opera, when he is popera contemporary sycho

fgivens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 09:58
This is from the Wikipedia, before you try to criticize, you should get your facts straight.   

Classical music is the art music produced in, or rooted in, the traditions of Western liturgical and secular music, encompassing a broad period from roughly the 9th century to present times.[1] The central norms of this tradition became codified between 1550 and 1900, which is known as the common practice period
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 06:04

Thats because that is a stereotypical norm that has been labelled onto a whole generation when it should be labelled just to a specific period. All old music isn't classical music And you can't label secular and choral music as classical music, or even plainsong and english folk tunes, classical music, just because their old

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 21:19
Hi,

I posted this before in another thread ...

Our house had over 3k LP's of classical music, so I was not exactly unknown to a lot of music, and by the time I started liking and listening to a lot of "popular music", I have to tell you that most of it was really poor, and not worth the listen ... specially when the lyrics ... oh my gawd ... you call that lyrics? It was just entertainment and fun ... nothing else, and sometimes calling Carmen Miranda ,..... "music" is almost an insult to the Chiquita bananas, see? Or her legs!

But the Beatles, Rolling Stones changed all that when we were in Brazil until October 1965 ... and while no one felt the lyrics were any better ... like she loves you yeah yeah yeah ... has a lot of valid literary coments on it!!!! ...  but they did have one thing that a lot of music, including opera, did not have ... attitude and strength, and sometimes I think that too many opera/music "stars" killed opera and a lot of classical music ... they show up the night before sing their pipes and leave and they might not even be together with the whole orchestra and production at all ... and rock music ... in my book, put those guys in the shame hall ... at least these kids cared enough to make it better and good, and above all ... TRY.

The "hippie" days and the late 60's and Woodstock, unlike the lingering image ... was about learning more and wanting to know where you stood ... and a lot of music took things that way ... and the deeper side of music became known as "progressive", though in the end, they fit a lot more into the artistic scenes in their particular area than they did anything else ... and for some reason, later, this became known as "progressive" ... which was nice, but was not indicative of what the music was all about at all ... not even close.

Ohhh, btw ... check out Neil Young's latest version of "The Hitchhiker" ... and you can see that he probably would agree with me ... exactly my feelings btw ... you wanna talk about a snapshot of a generation? ... yeah ... right there ... so honest it is almost brutal ... and so right on ... so with it ... it's scary!

But people are stuck in media hype and still the laceration and abuse and hatred for the 60's and so things are still done out of spite, including calling music "progressive" as a way to take it away from its time and place and hope that a screaming guitar or odd time segment of music, makes it better or more important than the rest of the stuff ... and you obviosuly know how many people actually can tell when it is 7/8's or 15/16's! And you didn't go to the Fillmore, or to the UFO to count beats in the music! You went to enjoy something completely different ... that meant a lot more to you as a person, than just another joint (or song -- for example) in your life ... did you?

In the end, because of my literary background, I learned what it meant to be "yourself" and an "individual", and for some odd ball reason, I got to listen to the best of these in the early days, and learned to appreciate their music and poetry ... and many of the bands of today that are called "prog" have nothing on me ... specially when they are trying so hard to justify their existence with egomaniacs for drummers or guitars ... which is not what a lot of the original "progressive" folks were all about for the most part.  I got into Hammill way before he became "progressive" and people thought that Genesis was progressive ... and the same thing with King Crimson ... but that analogy for people is scary ... how could he know all that? ... because it was there ... like everything else ... if you open your ears, eyes ... and sometimes the drugs were a perfect analogy for your ability to learn more and spread your mind and knowledge! I always thought that it was perfect that everyone thought that the dope was good, and they could not tell the difference anymore because it was all so far out ... and they would lose sight of themselves and the experience ... how anti-musical this usually is, although it can be used as a process to learn more music or any other art!

But the advent of stronger and better music by our beloved friends, has created a massive problem and changed the course of music history ... no longer will EVER be music justified by the likes and dislikes of the upper class that used to enjoy music and the rest never existed. So 50 years ago, I also learned that there was a lot of popular music that was better and interesting ... but it certainly was not the Cowsills or Petula Clark! But then ... all of us proggies here don't even care what Jimi did either. Or have any idea of the power and strength that took Janis away from us ... the psychic feel of which is what ... "progressive" is really all about.

So, I have to say ... what's your point?

Edited by moshkito - October 01 2010 at 21:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 08:08
Weird how once I gave this a little thought I started to remember almost exactly how I got into music and then prog specifically-

My mom and dad took me to a double feature showing of the Beatles "Hard Days Night" and "Help" when I was 7 or 8. Started listening to everything the Beatles did. Then my dad gave me a Bob Dylan album and the Rolling Stones greatest hits and I started listening to everything by them. Then in 9th grade a high school buddy loaned me Aqualung and Thick as a Brick. Well that was that. After those 2 I looked for every opportunity to find more interesting music. Found Yes-saw Yessong clips on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, a local band played Yes, Genesis and ELP and it snow balled from there.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 04:14
Posted this elsewhere too

Musical interests began at the age of 9 and I loved The Sweet, Kiss, Suzi Quatro, Gary Numan, The Runaways and Skyhooks.

Then I got into Pink Floyd and I adored Kraftwerk. I tried to get hold of everything they did on vinyl or cassette. Albums that drove me to prog were 'The Wall' by PF, 'The Man machine' Kraftwerk, 'Aqualung' by Tull and 'Misplaced Childhood' by Marillion.  I liked certain prog songs by Hawkwind, Queen, ELP, Yes and Genesis.  

When I heard the term prog first I was a mazed that all the bands i was into came under that genre banner. The mag by Mojo on Prog was the revelation! The top 40 prog albums in this were a starting point. I literally got every one of them discovering bands such as van der Graaf generator, Rush, Camel, King Crimson, Atomic Rooster, Porcupine Tree and Transatlantic. Thank you Mojo Q Classic!

Its all this magazines fault!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - November 08 2010 at 04:16
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 05:23
Sweatin' To The Oldies.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 13:32
Playing in the streets of the SFV as a kid during the summertime listening to the radio. I can still remember the single viersion of "Light my Fire". A great intro into music.My brother liked the Beatles so my mom supported his habit by buying him 45's and their albums. The good ol' days. Simpler times. Simpler joys.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 19:26
Seems like I've been into music all my life but it was prog that really got me into music.  I didn't attempt to play any instruments until I caught the prog bug.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 21:05
Dream Theater
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2010 at 03:47
I was in a band that sounds like Thin Lizzy with half the talent. When you get into prog, you slowly become a better musician
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2010 at 06:28
I suddenly realised most of the music I like is called progressive rock.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2010 at 14:34
my own personal timeline (im 23 as of now)

before 1997 - i have little recollection of what i liked back then. I was exposed to classical music around 1998, from my music teacher in middle school, and it's been around ever since. However, I never listened to it on my own till much later on in life. More on that later...

late 90s - pop, modern rock, hip-hop, whatever the big hits were at the time. I do remember enjoying A Charlie Brown Christmas a lot back then Thumbs Up

late 2000 - i got into Lenny Kravitz, he was my fav for a while. i dont remember any other specific bands/artists at this time. i know i sort of enjoyed the big pop hits from Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, and NSync Dead I think i was also into Blink-182 at this time.

2001 - still into LK, and Blink 182, but also Sum 41, P.O.D. (i know...), Alien Ant Farm, but i also got into some classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Guns & Roses, etc. My musical memory at this time is still hazy. One thing that sticks out is getting into System of a Down when Toxicity came out.

2002 - i think i was more or less, still listening to the same bands as mentioned before, i dont recall anything sticking out. I know i got into more classic rock late in the year, like AC/DC, later-era Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Black Sabbath. I believe i was also first exposed to Metallica before the end of the year.

2003 - i remember moving away from most of what i had listened to before, aside from classic rock. i still listened to some modern rock stuff, (mostly Rage Against the Machine and SOAD) but i found myself yearning for more heavier music. Over the couse of the year, i began to explore metal, starting with the more popular bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Van Halen, etc... I know i was fully into classic metal bands because i remember the controversy surrounding St. Anger when it came out and being part of discussions. When Iron Maiden's Dance of Death album came out, i got into them pretty quickly, along with Judas Priest. I remember vividly being exposed to Opeth during the last week of the year.

2004 - i listened to mostly metal at this time, occasionally listening to classic rock. i got into all the Thrash metal (my favorite kind of metal at the time), bands like Testament, Exodus, Overkill, Megadeth, Metallica, Annihilator, Iced Earth, etc... being exposed to Opeth, i got into them, along with other Death Metal bands like Decapitated, Death, At The Gates, ( i dont listen to this music anymore, so i dont remember all the bands) i never really got into Black Metal, but i remember kind of enjoying Emperor, and really enjoying Drudkh (their first 2 albums, which is all they had). I also remember enjoying Unearth, and a couple of other "-core" bands, but not much. i remember hearing Phish for the first time in the summer, but not enjoying it (as i would later). I also heard Dream Theater for the first time, sometime early in the year.

2005 - the floodgates of music opened for me in 2005, though it started slowly. I was moving away from metal, but not entirely. I got into Dream Theater like hardcore during this time, still enjoyed Opeth, and still liked thrash metal, but the death/black/extreme metal was moving away from me, and i was first exposed to Rush (YYZ) from a friend, and i also heard "Long Distance Runaround" by Yes on the radio (but couldnt track it down til later in the year. A friend showed my "You Enjoy Myself" by Phish and i was immediately hooked! within the same week, another friend gave me a copy of "Romantic Warrior" by Return to Forever, and it's been uphill from there. I remember after graduating high school, and the whole summer being filled with music, and my favorite bands being Phish, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Rush, and Opeth. It was this summer i discovered progarchives.com and i became exposed to so much music. At the time, you could download music off the site, instead of stream, so i used to have a lot of random tracks by random bands (which are all lost now) I went away to college and was exposed to even more music! i think i was exposed to every genre of music imaginable in this time. I found out Yes was the band i heard on the radio earlier in the year, and the song. I began to explore prog rock and jazz fusion the most, as that is where my tastes led me. I began to get into Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP, Return to Forever, Symphony X, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, Brand X, and craploads of other bands. I got into electronic music like Telefon Tel Aviv, acoustic music (An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, Jim Hall and Pat Metheny Live) I also began to listen to classical music on my own for the first time.

from here on out, im going to try to just list bands and genres i liked the most at the time, since i could go on and on about my musical journey.

2006 - metal music is almost 100% out of my listening habits, excluding prog metal bands. All prog and fusion bands i mentioned before, and also Gentle Giant and The Mars Volta. I got into psychedelic music around this time (you can figure out why on your own Wink) When summer came i got into Herbie Hancock, P-Funk, and later on, Frank Zappa. I also remember getting into Pat Metheny, John Scofield and other more 'jazz' artists (not necessarily jazz-rock of the 70s)

2007 - Full blown Frank Zappa mode for the first half of the year, before i got burnt out. Had to get every album! this was also the year i got deeply into jazz and jazz-fusion. Miles Davis became one of my favs. Prog rock was actually on its way out for me. I got into non-fusion jazz in this year, along with other fusion artists (there's just too many to name) and also got into jam bands a lot. Blues as well, but i guess i always enjoyed blues, considering the music ive listened to. In the fall, i got heavily into funk. 85% of the music i listened to by the end of the year was improvisational music. All of this moved over into.......

2008 - Similar to 2007, though February was the first time i was burnt out on music (or could never decide on something to listen to) and i recall going at least 2 weeks without listening to ANY music whatsoever. When i came out of it, i was listening to more jazz than anything. During the summer i rediscovered metal (Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc... no death or black metal) which in turn led me to get back into prog rock and prog metal, though my listening habits were still jazz and fusion; but i spent a lot of time rediscovering old favorites.

2009 - My 2 favorite bands became Umphrey's McGee and Dream Theater (again). I was moving away from jazz and fusion (though not like metal, i still listen to loads of jazz) At this time, i believe my tastes had evened out. I generally enjoyed everything and all things that i ever enjoyed before (minus death and black metal bands) 2009 was kind of like a summary of all my favorite kinds of music. Not to mention a lot of new music came out, and i was checking those out, plus past prog masterpieces i had missed out on before (again, too many to name) I also started getting into electronic music again, moreso than before. This is also the year i opened up and realized i enjoyed hip-hop (in small doses, at the time)

2010 - and here we are. Nothing too new for me in terms of musical development, aside from getting even more into hip-hop (Jay-Z, Eminem, The Roots, etc...) and electronic music (Daft Punk, dub-step). Ive also begun to enjoy electronic jazz like Squarepusher and Jaga Jazzist. I was on the biggest prog metal kick this past summer (Planet X, Riverside, DT (and releated), PoS, etc...) which evolved into symphonic prog ala Transatlantic, SB, Neal Morse, TFK, etc...

i could go on all day (particularly on the last 5 years, which i kind of generalized, since the OP wanted to know how you got into prog and music in general) if you've read this far, there's tons of bands and artists ive missed, and even more stories and details into the history of my music tastes. But i figure no one really cares, and i was trying to just be general. (i also realize this is a big post haha) and if you do care, just ask me something and id be more than happy to fill you in.

Edited by darkshade - November 24 2010 at 15:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>