Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How Did You Get Into Prog?...or music in general
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Did You Get Into Prog?...or music in general

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 07:49
I'm listening to too much Pain Of Salvation at the moment...and some odd pop music, e.g. that new will.i.am and nicki sinaj song
Oliverum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 08:12
I got the spark from Dream Theater and Pink Floyd.
All the best freaks are here, please stop staring at me. Marillion - Freaks (1988).
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 08:42
I remember being a 15 year old kid, buying the first Black Sabbath album upon it's official release, and experiencing a hippie tapping on my shoulder in the record store saying......"Hey Kid", that album you are buying? It sucks. I had the first Santana album and Chicago Transit Authority. I was taking a chance on the first Black Sabbath album because my schoolmates were into witchcraft and this album was somehow, a representation of that through Rock music. Lilith Sinclair who was a prominet leader on the east coast and later formed the "Temple of Set" with Aquino resided in our hometown, programming my friends off the street who were physically abused at home.....so because of that environment, the Black Sabbath album was of great interest to everyone in high school. This may have been the very start of the Heavy Metal influence upon kids. It was known then as Hard Rock.

Jesus Freak homes were opened and they tried to convert us teenagers. They gave Black Sabbath a bad image to the school staff and directly blamed sacrifices and Satan cult gatherings on the influence that the band had on our youth. Some people find it hard to believe .....thinking WTF? What does this have to do with music? Back then,,,,music and occult crimes were walking hand in hand. You were not allowed to bring a Sabbath album to school, play their music at "Battle of the Bands", or high school dances. The irony of the situation was that Lilith Sinclair got away with murder and brainwashing many of my friends as Black Sabbath was a decoy for her and they took the blame for influencing us instead.   

Edited by TODDLER - December 03 2010 at 08:45
Crazy Penguin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 16:05
Let's see... well,
(Am 22 atm) Can't remember having any specific taste until I was about 14 or 15. Up till then I'd listen to pretty much anything that dad would put on (2k records with rarities from before the 60s, and regular updates from the 60s till the present) without paying too much attention to it. MTV and a german music chanel VIVA were the norm for the rest of the time. My older brother would record videos on VHS but that never really interested me that much. Not enough for me to start listening to any of it actively, anyway.

Well, at that breaking moment, when I was 14 or 15 I finished reading Journey To The Center Of The Earth, and my dad couldn't miss the opportunity to play me an album from one of his favorite keyboard players. THAT caught my attention, let me tell you. :D So it was Rick Wakeman.
It took some time before I settled with other proggers. I specifically remember making my first ever personal compilation that consisted of selections from Rick Wakeman, David Bowie, the musical Hair, and Roger Waters. I started really actively listening to prog about a year later with Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. That got me hooked, and I spent the better part of the next 4 months listening over the Tull discography. Nothing else. Then I started broadening up horizons, starting with some stuff that I heard here and there, going deeper and deeper.
The search goes on. :)
I'm a little penguin, short and fat.
This is my flipper, this is my hat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12