FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCurrent 93

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current 93
    Posted: June 07 2005 at 16:52

Does anybody here like them? I'm not proposing to include them in the Archives, but a band that starts its career making side - long cut up suites and suddenly becomes a psychedelic  goth folk act (also with really looooong epics) is really worth a check.

Some records to start with:

- Soft Black Stars
  - Thunder Perfect Mind
  - Island (Björk sings some vocals here, BTW)
  - Earth Covers Earth

&nbs p;      
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 16:59
I'm trying to think here... either I listened to some and wasn't impressed, or I tried to listen to some and couldn't find any. Did they have an album called Noddy something..?
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 03:28

Wonderful 'band'
Other albums that I would recommend for beginners is the beautiful All The Pretty Little Horses,Imperium and Nurse With Wound's 'sister album'also called Thunder Perfect Mind.
There is also a very good compilation that comprises,mainly,of Acid/Apocalyptic folk songs.
My favourite song being Coal Black Smith.

Edited by Man Erg

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 04:17
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

I'm trying to think here... either I listened to some and wasn't impressed, or I tried to listen to some and couldn't find any. Did they have an album called Noddy something..?

Swastikas for Noddy is the album that you're enquiring about.It's one of their more 'experimental' albums.

If you do have another try at C93 try the recommendations by Winter and myself.I would hazard that the nearest comparison to these is probably Pearls Before Swine/Tom Rapp.So much so in fact that,David Tibet(C93)even impersonates Rapp's speech impediment!
Avoid at all costs the recent compilation 'The Great in the Small.'It has every track that C93 have ever recorded on one CD! The trick is that the tracks are over-laid on top of each other and this becomes one hours worth of an IMHO unlistenable cacophonic mess.

Hope that this is of some use.

Edited by Man Erg

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 04:23

They are on my investigation list because I was really gripped by this site and they speak of Gothic folk , which excited my curiosity!

http://www.theunbrokencircle.co.uk/index_light.html

Tell you more once I heard them!

Care to recommend me their better two or three albums more likely to appeal to progheads?

Thanks , Brother in arms!

Edited by Sean Trane
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 05:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

They are on my investigation list because I was really gripped by this site and they speak of Gothic folk , which excited my curiosity!

Care to recommend me their better two or three albums more likely to appeal to progheads?

I would recommend Soft Black Stars,All the Pretty Horses,Bright Yellow Moon,Purtle and Imperium for prog heads but seeing as C93 have released in the region of 50 albums there is a lot to choose from.Maybe avoid some of the earlier albums if Industrial is not for you but,saying that,there is a Krautrock edge to some of the earlier stuff especially in collaboration with Nurse With Wound.David Tibet's (C93)label,Durtro,is responsible for reissuing some fantastic albums by obscure artists including Sand's Golum album produced by Klaus Schulze and albums by Xhol Caravan.

Edited by Man Erg

Winterfamily View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 06:03

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

They're welcome

"Thunder Perfect Mind" is their folkiest output, although it has a couple of nice electric freakouts with Nick Saloman (The Bevis Frond) playing lead guitar. Nice sound (lots of reverb), nice songs and a general climate of saaaaadnessss . Good music for a rainy evening.

"Imperium" is quite ambient and calm, but quite grim, too... Lots of string quartet and weird sampled sounds. If you like Coil, you'll love this one.

And, finally, "Dogs Blood Rising", their first LP (and my avatar image, BTW) is a musical monument to insanity, like Faust recording Gregorian chants in the middle of a battlefield. I know it sounds strange, but just try it and see

Nurse With Wound are great, too! And a lot more "progressive" in strict terms.

Enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply