Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Hillage - Fish Rising

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Hillage - Fish Rising
    Posted: September 20 2010 at 12:13
Just listened to this album for the first time today and wow totally unexpected. He did some interesting stuff in Gong for sure and we heard flashes of what he could do in Khan but this album was completely unexpected for me i was expecting a space rock, canterbury sound but for the most part got symphonic bliss i loved the album from start to finish and it will definitely warrant many more listens in the future.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 12:18
Check out Green and L too!Thumbs Up
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 12:22
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Check out Green and L too!Thumbs Up

i shall do, i have many CD's to catch up on first, i bought Fish Rising about a month ago and only listened to it today and there is a pile of CD's up to the ceiling behind it!!!
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 13:05

You might like Live Herald too! 

Well you should.

Help me I'm falling!
alanterrill View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 13:50
Yes I still like Fish Rising after all these years although I've never heard it described as symphonic. To my min its the best psychedelic album ever - admittedly it has the advantage of hindsight and better technology as it came out several years after most people ahd stopped producing psychedelic music, but if you want to hear mad crazy hippy music played well and without any embarassing bits then this is the album to go for.
I don't think Hillage did anything to better this -L has got some good moment s but not as good as this - of course a lot of this might be due to Dave Stewart's presence which is significant, but there's much astonishingly good guitar work on there.. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:08
Originally posted by alanterrill alanterrill wrote:

Yes I still like Fish Rising after all these years although I've never heard it described as symphonic. To my min its the best psychedelic album ever - admittedly it has the advantage of hindsight and better technology as it came out several years after most people ahd stopped producing psychedelic music, but if you want to hear mad crazy hippy music played well and without any embarassing bits then this is the album to go for.
I don't think Hillage did anything to better this -L has got some good moment s but not as good as this - of course a lot of this might be due to Dave Stewart's presence which is significant, but there's much astonishingly good guitar work on there.. 

it felt symphonic to me especially Solar Musick Suite and it had psychadelic moments like Meditation of the Snake and some of Aftaglid i saw the ratio of psychadelic to symphonic moments in the favour of symphonic though but hey i guess it wouldn't be a prog album if you could categorise it!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:24
I also was expecting something quite else with the album, and I was disappointed  I loved Khan, and the Gong Radio Gnome Invisible albums, and liked Arzachel considerably, but Fish Rising did little for me.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I also was expecting something quite else with the album, and I was disappointed  I loved Khan, and the Gong Radio Gnome Invisible albums, and liked Arzachel considerably, but Fish Rising did little for me.  

i was addicted to Khan after i first heard that album but i never really got into the Radio Gnome albums i enjoy them and i like them but i wouldn't listen to them over and over Flying Teapot is definitely my favourite Gong album though
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 14:58
I was a Gong freak years before Hillage went solo and I think that ruined it for me. Unfortunate isn't it? I would listen to Fish Rising and feel the presence of Gong. Steve Hillage co-wrote and came up with interesting ideas for the Gong band but for me, when he went solo it was just the music of Gong all over again. I bought every Hillage title and found F.R. and Green to be my favorites. I was also a huge fan of Live Herald. I still love his guitar playing and the Fish Rising album. It must have been the style of writing and the sound of the Hillage band which reminded me too much of Gong. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 15:18
Luckily i heard Hillage solo first so thats maybe why i prefer his solo stuff.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 15:48
Khan is one of my favorite prog albums ever. Fish Rising has been called Khan II and RGI 4 but it's probably closer to the former. Really solid album and certainly Hillage had progressed due to his work in Gong.

Still, Space Shanty is my fave.

Actually my top 3 Canterbury albums are:

1. Space Shanty
2. Fish Rising
3. Live Herald

in that order

Green is good too, but I think you pretty much get the goods with those 3.

hmm.....Egg and National Health might have a shot at #3...might have to do some listening to decide.

Edited by Negoba - September 20 2010 at 15:49
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 16:49
I'd say Khan and Fish Rising are my favorite Canterbury albums (Space Shanty is up there).  It's ridiculous that they contain some of the same people seeing as Canterbury is easily my most listened to genre.  Oh how I wish Steve had done more work like this.

With Fish Rising being perhaps my all time favorite album I (today actually, which is why I was surprised this topic came up) looked into more of his solo albums... 

I didn't have L, but it's in the process of being acquired, along with Live Herald.  

I finished Fish Rising in the car, and wanted more Hillage so I put on For to Next-And Not Or.  The synth came in and I was worried it'd be too 80's sounding but was okay with the synth.  Then the drums and everything else came in and my ears were immediately assaulted by obnoxious 80's production and music.  I turned it off in easily less than thirty seconds, very unhappy.  
Then I put on Motivation Radio, I didn't finish due to time, but it seemed like it had some potential, though couldn't touch Fish Rising (it sounded way more generic).  
Then just now I tried out Open, and actually liked it a lot.  It had that New Wavey sound, but with good experimentation still.  I liked it quite a bit actually, and plan to listen to it again when I'm not also writing a five page paper so I can pay more attention to it.  

To any Hillage fans who are well acquainted with his work, should I even try For to Next-And Not Or again? I was kind of horrified, but I'll admit it didn't get much of a chance.  Is there anything worth it in there?

Edited by himtroy - September 20 2010 at 16:55
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:14
^ Maybe I read you wrong, but is there an album called Khan? I just have Khan's Space Shanty.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:16
No, that was me editing at various times and ending up sounding retarded.  I'm not fixing the post!

What I meant to list was Fish Rising and Space Shanty as my favorites, with Arzachel a little behind.  I wish there was a second Khan album.

Edited by himtroy - September 20 2010 at 17:19
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:25
Damn, I was rather hoping that a formerly unreleased Khan album had been "unearthed" and released as a self-titled album, but I guess I would have known about that.  Anyone hear Khan's collaboration with Chaka? ;)
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:27
Sorry to get your hopes up.  But I assume you've heard Arzachel correct?  It's relatively the same band, containing Hillage and Stewart.

Edited by himtroy - September 20 2010 at 17:28
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:30
Arzachel is a pale comparison to Khan, despite the personel. The guys were barely out of high school when that was recorded.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:31
It's not nearly as advanced, but it's still a good album in my opinion.  Much better than I'd expect for their age, and well worthy of checking out if you're looking for more Hillage. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 17:31
I like Arzachel. 

EDIT: By the way, since people have been mentioning Canterbury favourites, a particular favourite of mine is John Greaves et al's Kew Rhone.

Edited by Logan - September 20 2010 at 17:34
pinkyfloydyfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 22:10
I really like his playing.

1. Fish rising
2. Live Herald

I remember some great moment of music trip with him
We are pilgrims!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>