Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 06:46
Up next:
Aphrodite's Child    666 - Weird "little" album.  Of course I wouldn't have it were it not for the presence of Vangelis

Coryell, Larry    Tributaries - A trio acoustic guitar album with John Scofield and Joe Beck.  Not sure where to rank it amongst the trio guitarist albums.  Nothing particularly compelling about it, but still the music holds its own against its more famous cousin.

Flower Kings, The    Stardust We Are - This one really failed to make a connection with me despite being highly regarded around these parts.  The music is undeniably good, but it hasn't clicked yet.  As a result I haven't delved any further into the band.  Before I got to know who they were, I did get a Genesis tribute album where they do Cinema Show.

Fripp, Robert & The League of Crafty Guitarists    Intergalactic Boogie Express - Live in Europe 1991 - Trio guitarist albums, sheesh.  Lets go for nine.  Got to see them live around this time.  Wait forgot to count Fripp.

Gitbox    Touch Wood - Another guitar oriented album, also on Fripp's label.
High Llamas, The    Beet, Maize & Corn - the Llamas have put out some albums of interest to the prog fan but lately have been putting out kind of dull ones.  If you like loungey stuff, this might be for you.

Nine Inch Nails    "The Perfect Drug" Versions - I was really hoping for the version that wasn't used in Lost Highway but showed up on the soundtrack and was released as a creepy video.  Oh well.  Never had much luck with remix albums.  Should avoid them altogether.

Sallyangie, The    Children of the Sun - Sometimes great artists release mediocre debut albums.  This would be one of them.  Of course the sister and brother would go on to make much better stuff.

Tibbetts, Steve    Exploded View - When Tibbetts went to ECM, he seems to have adapted his style to fit in better with the label.  For me he has never surpassed his first two.  Still being early ECM for Steve, it still has a bit of an edge to it.

XTC    Big Express, The  - By the time this came out XTC had become one of those bands where I'd get the new album as soon as it came out and it marks that period in my life indelibly.  This one reminds me of when I was in college and working at a now defunct fast food joint,

XTC    Oranges & Lemons - Sort of a tribute to '60's psychedelia.  This one reminds of a period in my life where I was laid off from my first long term architectural job.  Also, for its ode to the penis (Pink Thing).

Partirdge, Andy & Harold Budd    Through the Hill - XTC did the occasional ambient track, now I know who was responsible.  Beautiful album musically and it comes with interesting  packaging in the case.  I believe this one is still out of print.  If you like ambient albums you'll enjoy this, otherwise you will probably find it boring.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 07:34
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 06:56
We rated it the same 
 http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19544 my review is right to yours.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:00
Sorry, TODAY I would have rated it 2 stars. Actually I gave it 3...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:35
I actually found the stuff on the bonus disc more interesting than the main one. LOL

Really weird that I drew two XTC albums and another with Andy Partridge this morning. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 07:39
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:50
Unfortunately I have the vinyl.....no bonus there.
Another in the list is Exploded View. I have found it quite challenging. Yr was easier. Also those are on vinyl.

thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 13:51
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps: Almost a digital demo album.  Came out in '83 (I almost wrote it as '73, oops LOL)  I like his solo guitar original material better.

This is a guitar verison of The Rite of Spring??

I never knew such a thing existed (I've been doing some prog-band-esque arrangements of it myself actually)! But it sounds immense already, where can I get hold of it?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 14:36
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps: Almost a digital demo album.  Came out in '83 (I almost wrote it as '73, oops LOL)  I like his solo guitar original material better.

This is a guitar verison of The Rite of Spring??

I never knew such a thing existed (I've been doing some prog-band-esque arrangements of it myself actually)! But it sounds immense already, where can I get hold of it?

It is indeed.  As to where you can get it, that may prove to be difficult.  I found it in a used discount bin many years ago.  I just did a search with no luck.

Found this
No track list available

Details
Distributor:Universal Distribution
Recording Type:Studio
Recording Mode:Stereo
SPAR Code:DDD

Album Notes
These are classical pieces arranged for solo guitar.
One of the more unusual recordings of Larry Coryell's long career is his solo interpretation of Igor Stravinsky's major ballet Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring). In attempting this classical composition on a six-string acoustic guitar, without overdubs, Coryell has his work cut out for him, as Stravinsky's original ballet rehearsal version was conducted on not one but two pianos! This works best in the softer sections of the work like the introductions to each of the two segments of the work, though Coryell's virtuoso technique will likely impress notoriously hard to please classical fans. He doesn't strictly attempt a literal transcription, but introduces his own Latin-flavored interludes, additional vamps and improvised sections. It seems almost criminal that there are no liner notes to explain what prompted the making of this CD, though it seems almost obvious that the guitarist had likely been fascinated with this composition since childhood. Coryell also recorded Stravinsky's Oiseau De Feu (Firebird)/Petrouchka in 1984. ~ Ken Dryden

One more try...
Le Sacre du Printemps

Le Sacre du Printemps

Larry Coryell (Performer), Stravinsky (Composer) | Format: Audio CD
5.0 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (1 customer review)

Available from these sellers.

2 new from $49.99 10 used from $12.89

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 14:44

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 14:39
Whoa, luck of the draw yields two XTC albums?  It's your lucky day Slarti, better go buy some lottery tickets!
I still have the vinyl of Big Express, in its round cover.  Oranges and Lemons, though I guess less psychedelic that the Dukes EP, does hearken back to the '60s.  Good stuff.

Haven't heard that Coryell album, but back in the '70s I had a very nice Coryell/Kahn guitar duo album.  As you say, maybe not particularly compelling, but it was always enjoyable and competent music from Coryell and company.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 14:45
Finally found some. Big smile

I think I paid about $5 for my copy tops.

Those two XTC albums are well regarded by me.  Will pop one of those in for the drive home.  Probably keep the other for nexters.  Big fan of the Dukes stuff.  Silly yet cool. Cool

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2010 at 14:50

thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 15:29
Cool, thanks for the info.

One acoustic guitar, can it really pull off that whole ballet though? A matter of opinion I guess, and I haven't heard and from the looks of things probably won't be able to easily. I still think ELP should have done this one, they conquered all manner of other complex works.

Anyway thanks again!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 19:54
My second two Universe go into the living room player and the  album with flood damaged case Umphrey's McGee, The Bottom Half comes out.  Next batch includes the UG and these random selections:

Amos, Tori    God
Beck, Jeff with the Jan Hammer Group    Live
Belew, Adrian    Side Two
Hansson, Bo    Lord of the Rings
Johnson, Eric    Tones
Levin, Tony    Waters of Eden
McLachlan, Sarah    Surfacing
Moody Blues, The    On the Threshold of a Dream
Ozric Tentacles    Jurassic Shift
Rypdal,  Terje    Undisonus
Vangelis    Antarctica - The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Wyatt, Robert    Theatre Royal Drury Lane
Frith, Fred and Arditti String Quartet, Uwe Dierkson, William Winant    Eleventh Hour

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 02:08
I like your posts...Lord of The Rings is great. I purchased the vinyl in 1976 without knowing anything of Bo Hansson because I was fascinated by the sleeve design. Antarctica is not bad and it's the other vinyl that I have from the list.

I like Sarah McLachlan, but I don't think I can find her on PA...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 19:40

Up next:
Aphrodite's Child    666 - Weird "little" album.  Of course I wouldn't have it were it not for the presence of Vangelis

I would have this in my library regardless ... mostly because it is an amazing concept album, and way out there musically. A lot of the music is more greek instruments than anything else, but the mix with the rock elements make it special.

Aphrodite's Child albums were a treat and "It's 5 o'clock" is very nice, but it is a difficult listen as those two earlier albums featured a lot more of Demis Roussos than this album does. This album fits into the area of .. odd ball ... but in the process it creates some amazing sounds and music, and Side 2 of the double album is massive and a total trip and excellent in every way ... but I'm not sure that we can stand listening to some stuff that ... falls into the area of state/theater, like a couple of moments in that side with the chorus ... and of course, later listening to Irene Pappas do her thing while Demis Roussos sings and makes fun of it all!

You have to listen to this as if it were a film, or a play ... forget "progressive music" or anything else ... or the whole thing goes right by you.

Quote XTC    Big Express, The  - By the time this came out XTC had become one of those bands where I'd get the new album as soon as it came out and it marks that period in my life indelibly.  This one reminds me of when I was in college and working at a now defunct fast food joint,

From "Wake Up" to "This World Over" ... there are a lot of things to like in this album, specially the off kilter vocals (intentional and otherwise) and some of the best stuff ... this is a very special album for me, and one that stands up as a true "progressive" work in every sense of the word. Too bad that our description tends to go out of town and not appreciate some trully odd things. I kept up with this band through the year 2000 just about ... and I can not tell you of any album that seems bad to me ... they all have something special in them.

Quote Partirdge, Andy & Harold Budd    Through the Hill - XTC did the occasional ambient track, now I know who was responsible.  Beautiful album musically and it comes with interesting  packaging in the case.  I believe this one is still out of print.  If you like ambient albums you'll enjoy this, otherwise you will probably find it boring.

Very nice indeed ... quite enjoyable all the way through.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 20:27
I think I first came to know Bo through some albums my brother had picked up.  The essential Bo I know is The Magician's Hat.

I've been a big fan of Van since his music was used by Ca'al Sa'agan (I'm sorry, Caal Sgngn) on Co'osmos.

Sarah's not on here and I don't know if she's up for consideration.  I'd have her here for her earlier stuff.

I suppose 66 would still have been a good album without Vangelis. LOL
But I don't think I would have known about it were it not for the www...

So to blog on today's listens:

Tony's Waters Of Eden - got to see that one live and picked up a t-shirt. Big smile  Very mellow but good instrumental music.  I still haven't heard the first TL album.  Go for the next two if you don't like it mellow.

Bo's Lord Of The Rings - beats the hell out of the repackaged Rick Wakeman album.  I think Rick was not behind this, but rather his record company.

Tori's God - she puts out a few too many EPs.  There is the totally redundant LP version of God.  Three other tracks that seem like improv. 

Ozric Tentaclesese's Jurassic Shift - a band you can always count on for high energy music.  Hmm, I may have to pop in the DVD soon, but it's getting late. Rawks

And V-man's Antarctica I've had for while.  I like the music and I like the movie.  Currently only have the former and not the latter.  Got to see the movie in a local theater.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 01 2010 at 20:33

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 20:32

... Hansson, Bo    Lord of the Rings ...

Got this recently ... I think it is sounding a bit dated today, but it's still pretty in many sections. I kinda thought that the first album (Magician's Hat) was better, but this one is probably more focused for my ears.

Quote Moody Blues, The    On the Threshold of a Dream

Very nice album all around in my book. but ... but ...

I think...
I think I am.
Therefore I am!
I think...
Establishment:
Of course you are, my bright little star...
I've miles and miles of files
Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
And now to suit our great computer
You're magnetic ink!

First Man:
I'm more than that
I know I am...
At least, I think I must be

Inner Man:
There you go, man
Keep as cool as you can
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe
That you perceive
The web they weave...
And keep on thinking free

How well I remember these words and while they were ok with me, and funny in a sort of science-fictional story, in the end, they did not impress me ... but you must remember that I came from a literary house, and the big names in literature came and went and discussed translations and Michelangelo and Fellini with dad and all that ... so reading this was like ... how dumb! ... specially when compared to the completely poetci first album.

It does get better, and the album has some nice things and the end is pretty ...

When the white eagle of the North
Is flying overhead
And the browns, reds and golds of autumn
Lie in the gutter, dead

Remember then, the summer birds
With wings of fire flaying
Come to witness Spring's new hope
Born of leaves decaying

Just as new life will come from death
Love will come at leisure
Love of love, love of life
And giving without measure

Gives in return a wondrous yearn
Of a promise almost seen
Live hand-in-hand
And together we'll stand

On the threshold of a dream....

But even then, I thought hard about this ... if the album is about songs, this is in the end of course ... but if the album is important and meaningfull ... guess where this poem would be? ... yeah ... right at the top! I have to tell you that the songs were nice, but the importance of the music itself pretty much went south for me, and besides, Janis Joplin was a lot more honest and impressive ... and she could make you cry!

Quote   Ozric Tentacles    Jurassic Shift

Love this album ... as I do the previous 3 by this band, which still are the best they ever did. Sadly, by this time they took up with a new bass player and while he is not bad, and is very accurate and clean, he did not have the personality that the band needed to become better and stronger than the very material that brought them up. The got a bit "harder" on their rock music, and still trippy. I still think that after this album things kinda went south and when John left the band was over and is just a rehash now of the original. It's missing the soft touch and the sensuous and the "eastern" feel that some things had, even though those were always on the fantasy side of things, but it blended well.

Quote Rypdal,  Terje    Undisonus

Not sure I have heard this one yet ... I have about 5 or 6 of his things to chase down now ... including the one he did with a rock band that you can find on Youtube.

Quote Vangelis    Antarctica - The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

This is a re-issue.

Edited by moshkito - October 01 2010 at 20:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 20:40
The first run of the Moodie's albums often seems be music that is often a bit a quaint to me for the most part.  Haven't heard that debut as I can recall.  Day's Of Future Past has some really good moments.

I forgot to mention, in the truck CD player - Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer Group Live.  Wonderful album.  J & J and friends jam.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 01 2010 at 20:43

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 21:20

I forgot to mention, in the truck CD player - Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer Group Live.  Wonderful album.  J & J and friends jam.

Any album that has Blue Wind on it is okay in my book, I don't care how excessive they may or may not get!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 22:20
I've got that song on Wired, too.  Gotta favorite version?

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 01 2010 at 22:20

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 22:56

OK, I'd done some polls on what I've randomly selected, and thought it might be better to just do a blog thread, say a few words about each title, and leave it open for anyone to comment or ask questions about the titles. 

So loaded tonight for tomorrow:
Amos, Tori    Scarlett's Walk
Beatles, The    Abbey Road
Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps
De Grassi, Alex    Southern Exposure
Hackett, Steve    Watcher of the Skies
Jackson, Joe    Laughter & Lust
Kansas    Masque
Kottke, Leo    One Guitar, No Vocals
Ponty, Clara    Mirror Of Truth
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Stati Di Immaginazione
Stereolab    Sound-Dust
Wakeman, Rick    Selections from…Journey to the Center of the Earth

Will add comments tomorrow as I listen to them.

Currently doing a run through my whole collection and probably should have started off with this.  It will be fun to see how long it takes to get through the current set.

I don't give Kansas Masque enough turntable love.....I need to.

BTW...what were you loaded on that night?? LOL
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 23:30

I've got that song on Wired, too.  Gotta favorite version?

I prefer the Wired version, though I've only heard the live version in passing.  At that particular time, man Beck and Hammer were just made for each other, trading guitar/synth licks as if challenging, musically, can you top this?

Niacin does a rockin' (but ultimately limited, no Beck...hell no guitar!) cover of the song on their Time Crunch LP, which I bought solely on seeing covers of Blue Wind and Red in the track listing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>