Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
    Posted: September 23 2010 at 21:01
OK, I'd done some polls on what I've randomly selected, and thought it might be better to just do a blog thread, say a few words about each title, and leave it open for anyone to comment or ask questions about the titles. 

So loaded tonight for tomorrow:
Amos, Tori    Scarlett's Walk
Beatles, The    Abbey Road
Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps
De Grassi, Alex    Southern Exposure
Hackett, Steve    Watcher of the Skies
Jackson, Joe    Laughter & Lust
Kansas    Masque
Kottke, Leo    One Guitar, No Vocals
Ponty, Clara    Mirror Of Truth
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Stati Di Immaginazione
Stereolab    Sound-Dust
Wakeman, Rick    Selections from…Journey to the Center of the Earth

Will add comments tomorrow as I listen to them.

Currently doing a run through my whole collection and probably should have started off with this.  It will be fun to see how long it takes to get through the current set.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 23 2012 at 18:03
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 21:03
I haven't heard that particular Stereolab album, but I really enjoy the two I have heard.  Same goes for the PFM album.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 21:12
I was listening to that Stereolab album driving into work on 9/11/2001.  Talk about ingraining a piece of music in your head.  Walked into the office, it is (maybe soon to be was) in a house, this little TV was on in the kitchen and I saw the second plane hit.  What's really spooky is one of the songs I was listening to before I drove up had the lyric "live what must live, die what must die".  The back cover also has an image of two castle towers.  Spooky.  Might as well go ahead and comment on that one as the music is ingrained in the brain.  Oh, I was just thinking about the thread on English bias.  One of the real charms of this band is the mix of French and English vocals.

If you like old PFM, you'll likely like Stati.  If you buy a hard copy get the one with the bonus DVD.  Pricey but worth it.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 17:59
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 05:45
I have Southern Exposure,Good if you like acoustic guitars but very newage oriented (if I'm not wrong it's a whyndham hill release but I'm not sure). Abbey Road is in my top ten. I have recently rated it 5 stars (not rounded down to 4 Wink)

Don't know anything about Leo Kottke, Clara Ponty or Stereolab. 
I don't like Tori Amos.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 06:56

Brian, let's admit it. You used CTRL+C, CTRL+V when you were typing this thread's title. Because your name is very, very ... VERY.

Abbey Road is lovely, isn't it ?

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 07:17
Yeah, Abbey Road was a fitting end to the band.  If I'm not mistaken wasn't Let It Be recorded before, though released later?

Regarding my screen name, I've been using it for so long and in various places that I always manually type it.  However you may notice that in these polls or commentary where I'm listing several items from my collection, I do indeed use the keyboard copy and paste out my spreadsheet.  My computer experience goes back to the DOS only days so I do use the keyboard copy and paste rather than the right click.

To octopus, I'll fill you in on those three when I do some more commentary on these titles.  And as for not liking Tori, I won't hold it against you. LOL  Well, off to work. 

Stay tuned all, I'll get back to you.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 17:59
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 07:19
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yeah, Abbey Road was a fitting end to the band.  If I'm not mistaken wasn't Let It Be recorded before, though released later?

Regarding my screen name, I've been using it for so long and in various places that I always manually type it.  However you may notice that in these polls or commentary where I'm listing several items from my collection, I do indeed use the keyboard copy and paste out my spreadsheet.  My computer experience goes back to the DOS only days so I do use the keyboard copy and paste rather than the right click.
That was an Operating System !!!! Good ole days....Cry
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 08:25

I was listening to that Stereolab album driving into work on 9/11/2001.  Talk about ingraining a piece of music in your head.  Walked into the office, it is (maybe soon to be was) in a house, this little TV was on in the kitchen and I saw the second plane hit.  What's really spooky is one of the songs I was listening to before I drove up had the lyric "live what must live, die what must die".  The back cover also has an image of two castle towers.  Spooky.  Might as well go ahead and comment on that one as the music is ingrained in the brain.  Oh, I was just thinking about the thread on English bias.  One of the real charms of this band is the mix of French and English vocals.

If you like old PFM, you'll likely like Stati.  If you buy a hard copy get the one with the bonus DVD.  Pricey but worth it.

That is an odd and haunting story certainly. Kudos to you for no Freudian Typo in the OP then:
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Slarti Di Immaginazione Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 14:10

Yeah, good old DOS days. My first computer experience counts even before I was able to write, in 1992, when (on our 486 - yes, four eight six), after black screen with white text appeared, I typed:

nc (enter)

and it showed more colors (six?)

I consider myself lucky to begin on such a system, because children now, who just know Xbox, there's some magic lost in the process. 

From these albums, I know just 3 entries, Abbey, Masque and grumpy Rock star, so I'm going to listen Wakeman. Keep us informed Brian.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 15:36
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Yeah, good old DOS days. My first computer experience counts even before I was able to write, in 1992, when (on our 486 - yes, four eight six), after black screen with white text appeared, I typed:

nc (enter)

and it showed more colors (six?)

I consider myself lucky to begin on such a system, because children now, who just know Xbox, there's some magic lost in the process. 

From these albums, I know just 3 entries, Abbey, Masque and grumpy Rock star, so I'm going to listen Wakeman. Keep us informed Brian.

I typed some characters on a NIXDORF 620 in 1971, but the years before I was impressed by the speed of a card reader.... My first 8086 (eighty eighty-six) with two floppy drivers and no hard disk was a big enhancement. Big smile I had enough money for it in 1987 the amber sreccn has 4 different tones of grey and it was capable of running amazing game like Asteroids and Space Invaders.
The same year I saw the Pink Floyd live. 

One question about Wakeman. Is that a new album or it means just a part of the original? I never heard about "Selections..."
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 15:37
My intention was to type "Screen" instead of "sreccn" LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 16:08

:-O And I though that it's some kind of concept computer of then times that I don't know yet. Not really, I understood you, don'T worry.

I'm curious too, I know original album (well, remastered on CD, but still, more or less original), this Selection confuses me as well.  Brian, people are confused :-)

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 16:31
Always close at hand to be played..........Premiata Forneria Marconi    Stati Di Immaginazione
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:32
Regarding Wakeman, Rick    Selections from…Journey to the Center of the Earth, I don't think it's in the discography here yet.  Been meaning to add it.  It's a set of new (1998 release) instrumental versions.  One of Rick's better releases. 

Well Octo's got me beat when it comes to ancient computer experience.  Anyone remember when a 1 Gig hard drive was considered huge?  I was looking at an ad in the paper and now you can get a 1 Terrabite for $90.00 Shocked

Double checked and adding that album is on my to do list.  I haven't listened to it in this round yet, but time for drive by reviews of what I listened to at work today...

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 18:00
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:48
My first computer:  Leading Edge Model D.  Spec & cost:

Computer itself ($595):
8088 CPU (switchable between 4.77 MHz and 7.16 MHz)
1 360 KB floppy drive
512 KB RAM
MS-DOS 3.2

Extra 128 KB RAM to run CGA graphics (don't remember what this cost, but it was at least $200)

20 MB Hard Drive ($400)

CGA Monitor ($500)

I bought this in 1988.  It is now on a shelf in the basement but still runs perfectly.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but there's a wiki article that points out how far we've come for anyone interested.

Being a traditionalist, gimme some Abbey Road any day.

Now back to Slarti's regularly scheduled blog.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:55
Feel free to hijack Jack.  Wow, just goes to show you that the more complicated they make them the more prone they are to failures...

Amos, Tori    Scarlett's Walk: Tori's an artist who basically can do no wrong by me, so they are all good and this one is a little better.

Beatles, The    Abbey Road: A classic that should be in everyone's record collection.

Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps: Almost a digital demo album.  Came out in '83 (I almost wrote it as '73, oops LOL)  I like his solo guitar original material better.

De Grassi, Alex    Southern Exposure: Speaking of solo guitar, was one of Windham Hill's better solo guitarists.  The best was Michael Hedges until he started singing (joke).  Good mellow stuff.

Jackson, Joe    Laughter & Lust: lesser known album of Joe's.  He's done two I consider definitely progressive - Heaven and Hell and Symphony #1.  Good album, Trying To Cry and Drowning are my favorite tracks.  Solid tunes.

Kottke, Leo    One Guitar, No Vocals: I saw him play on TV, I think it was Austin City Limits.  Surprised he's not here in prog folk, but I'm not an expert in that sub or in Leo's music in particular.  I've heard one or two other albums, but this is the only one I have.  Four star album.  Great liner notes. ( If you've ever seen him perform, he tells short stories to introduce songs.) "Snorkel - Written in Sydney when my hotel room was flooding.  Too Fast - Too fast.  Chamber Of Commerce - I was upset." LOL

I just noticed, these were randoms of randoms and I pulled down three solo guitar albums today. Shocked

Weird coincidences will probably keep this thread somewhat interesting.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 18:00
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:57

[snip]If you like old PFM, you'll likely like Stati.  If you buy a hard copy get the one with the bonus DVD.  Pricey but worth it.[/snip]

I got Stati... pretty soon after it was released and loved the classic PFM albums (Storia..., Per..., and L'Isola...) at the time., but I was disappointed with Stati... I found it too ambient and lackluster on the whole. I haven't listened to it in years. Back then I did get so many new-to-me albums (consumed them)  that I didn't always give them a proper chance to grow on me.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:59
I guess I'm not surprised.  I really like it, but then I really like ambient.

Here's the Wakeman album on half.com: http://product.half.ebay.com/Selections-From-Journey-to-the-Center-of-the-Earth-Instrumental_W0QQprZ3335411QQtgZinfo

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2010 at 18:26
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 19:23
Thanks for bringing up Leo Kottke.  I should probably listen to what he's doing these days...actually didn't know he was still around.  I had a couple of his albums back in the '70s (Greenhouse, My Feet Are Smiling).  He had a lot of street cred as a guitarist.  He more or less got lost in the shuffle I suppose, probably being too sophisticated for the folk fans (if there were any folk fans left in the '70s), and a bit too folk-y for the rock audience.

Edited by jammun - September 24 2010 at 19:23
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 19:46
I know My Feet Are Smiling is one of those I've heard.  My joke name for it was My Feet Are Smelling.  Just a joke name.  I liked the music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>