Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 22:20
Wha? three slots left.  Toss out some of that other stuff and put in these:

Davis, Miles    Agharta
Eno, Brian-David Byrne    My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (Remaster)
Jethro Tull    Thick as a Brick
King Crimson    Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Remaster)
Return to Forever    Return to the 7th Galaxy: The Anthology
Talking Heads    Fear of Music (Remaster)
Weather Report    Sweetnighter
XTC    Skylarking
Zappa, Frank    Thing-Fish

Actually seeing this list is sorta weird; it's looking remarkably like my collection, 'cept no Human League LOL
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 07:25
This is kind of scary.  I was due to load up a fresh set and your picks filled up all the open slots.  I am not kidding. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 08 2010 at 07:26
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 08:34
Well, I had three to go from the last set and Roxy's Country Life came up.  One of my favorites, though number one is probably Viva as it was the one that got me into them.  From the middle or their discography, more or less, Bryan's vocal style was starting to get a little smoother.  So I'm going to play it and have A Really Good Time.

Thanks again to Jammun for his suggestions.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 12:16

make them all fit.....

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 23:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, I had three to go from the last set and Roxy's Country Life came up.  One of my favorites, though number one is probably Viva as it was the one that got me into them.  From the middle or their discography, more or less, Bryan's vocal style was starting to get a little smoother.  So I'm going to play it and have A Really Good Time.

Thanks again to Jammun for his suggestions.
I could easily go through your 'master' list and come up with another 100 or so favorites.  Sadly, you're missing some Mouth & MacNeil or ABBA, but that's just the Euro-pop devil on my shoulder...you know that little red guy with the goatee and horns and pitchfork... doing the talking LOL.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 09:18
Hey look, I can't have everything in my collection.

Did make it through my last batch, bud didn't get into your picks yet except for making it about all the way for RTF. 

Roxy Music  Country Life - One of my favorite Roxy.  Can't quite put my uhm, finger on exactly why.

Tangerine Dream  Stratosfear - TD at their spookiest best.

Mark Isham  Mark Isham - Mark Isham Mark Isham Mark Isham.  I like his earlier stuff better.  Mark Isham Mark Isham is OK   It has Torn and Bozzio...

By the way, let me work my way through your last suggestions before I get another round. Big smile
That was really cool by the way.  I was running late for work and it made the loading up a little quicker.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 09 2010 at 09:34

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 10:06
I can do drive bys of your suggestions though.  Big smile

Davis, Miles    Agharta - I think I may like this better than Pangea.  Both improved out the same day.  That is rather astonishing. 

Eno, Brian-David Byrne    My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (Remaster) - Added some extra tracks, subtracted Qu'ran.  Great, now I have to keep both copies.  A really interesting collaboration/experiment.  Makes Everything That Happens pale in comparison.

Jethro Tull    Thick as a Brick - nominally 4 inches in the US.  Remains one of my favorites from Tull.  A bit of a step up from Aqualung, which I also like a lot.

King Crimson    Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Remaster) - A significant step forward for KC.  Seems like there was a bit of meandering after the itchycock.  Then we got a solid three albums before KC went on hiatus.  When I first heard the opener I didn't know what to think, but I knew I liked it.  The prog I had gotten into at that point had already softened me up to new forms of music.  This kind of took things a bit further.

Return to Forever    Return to the 7th Galaxy: The Anthology - I don't know exactly why, but this is currently the only RTF CD I have.  Have a few DiMeolas and Coreas solos.  Might have to do with this being an excellent anthology with unreleased tracks to boot.

Talking Heads    Fear of Music (Remaster) - the original album has a textured cover.  The Fripp cameo is pretty cool.  Not your daddy's prog, but prog it is.

Weather Report    Sweetnighter - a basic and good JRF album for me.  I was a latecomer to it and it hasn't made a big impression on me as much as their more famous albums.  Jaco came along and kind of blew away Sid's brother Miroslav.  Still a fan of Vitous, too.

XTC    Skylarking - when this came out I had pretty much become a I have to get whatever they put out next right away kind of fan.  This is one of those bands whose albums tend to bring me back to period when they were released because when I got one I played it over and over and over.  It would shock you too...

Zappa, Frank    Thing-Fish - one of my first CD additions.  I was already digging Zappa for the musical qualities and the crudeness.  This one doesn't disappoint.  Also, for those who don't know and give a damn and are old enough to view, Frank did a photo shoot of the album in Hustler magazine: http://home.online.no/~corneliu/thingfish2.html
http://home.online.no/%7Ecorneliu/thingfish2.gif

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 09 2010 at 10:09

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 19:44
de Mammy Nuns, lookin' good wit de nakkin' on!  (Head like a potato...) LOL

Edited by jammun - October 10 2010 at 20:12
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 07:09
Fresh batch this morning:
Eluvium    When I Live By the Garden and the Sea
Fleck, Bela & the Flecktones    UFO TOFU
Glass, Philip    Music With Changing Parts
Jackson, Joe    Symphony No. 1
Marillion    anoraknophobia
Nektar    Down To Earth
Oregon    Beyond Words
Ozric Tentacles    Spirals In Hyperspace
Police, The    Synchronicity
Wakeman, Rick    Songs Of Middle Earth (The Seven Wonders of the World/Heritage Suite excerpts)

Time to hit the shower.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 09:49
A few minutes for drive bys:
Eluvium    When I Live By the Garden and the Sea - if you like ambient piano dominated music like Harold Budd, you should check out Eluvium.

Fleck, Bela & the Flecktones    UFO TOFU - if you like tofu and ufos, uh never mind. LOL  Fleck was a breath of fresh air that came along in the early '90's.  Something prog and completely different.

Glass, Philip    Music With Changing Parts - I still love to tell the story of having this my CD player driving my wife home from work one day and after a while she couldn't take it any more.  If you like a long piece of music that really doesn't seem to change too much over the course of the piece, this may be for you.

Jackson, Joe    Symphony No. 1 - if a prog fan were to only have one JJ album, this would be the one I'd recommend.  I hear lots of prog influences going on and I think it makes the best case for Joe's inclusion on this site.

Marillion    anoraknophobia - my interest for Marillion was starting to wane when this came out.  It's still not very strong.  But, I'll give them credit for having what appear to be multiple Kennies on the cover.Tongue

Nektar    Down To Earth - an album I didn't really care for much at first.  Nektar had some more proggier stuff that I had already gotten into.  It grew on me and it certainly has its moments.

Oregon    Beyond Words - a really trippy album cover for this one and marked the last time I uhm... A really good post Colin album and I like it a lot.

Ozric Tentacles    Spirals In Hyperspace - hard to really say much about these guys.  Contently energetic music.  Maybe a little too consistent.  But if you like one, you'll likely like them all.  The discography is huge though, so you may only need a few.

Police, The    Synchronicity - the album that put the band on the map for me.  Their proggiest for sure.  Visible Fripp influence.

Wakeman, Rick    Songs Of Middle Earth (The Seven Wonders of the World/Heritage Suite excerpts) - a travesty that I believe was done by his record company.  It was not inspired by Lord Of The Rings other than the company trying to cash in on the movie.  The music ain't all that either.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 12 2010 at 09:50

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 17:58

... Eno, Brian-David Byrne    My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (Remaster) - Added some extra tracks, subtracted Qu'ran.  Great, now I have to keep both copies.  A really interesting collaboration/experiment.  Makes Everything That Happens pale in comparison....

When you get the chance see if you can find one of them bootleg versions of DSOTM and listen to them with a tuned ear ... and then come back to this album ...

XTC    Skylarking - when this came out I had pretty much become a I have to get whatever they put out next right away kind of fan.  This is one of those bands whose albums tend to bring me back to that period when they were released because when I got one I played it over and over and over.  It would shock you too...

I didn't care for Todd Rundgren's touch on the album ... and time has changed the words that went around between them. There are a couple of cuts here that are very nice, but in the end, Big Express and 2 albums before that are quite superior in my book. And XTC pretty much needed to produce their own work and not ever deal with anyone else.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 18:00

Nektar    Down To Earth 

This album was material that they had already used in concert before ... it was not exatcly a new album ... the band, by that time, was pretty much over. You can check the live albums around that time and catch a couple of these pieces in them before this album was released.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 18:21
^ To be honest I don't always get at what you're getting at.
Which Byrne/Eno album were you referring to and why would I want to get "bootleg versions of DSOTM and listen to them with a tuned ear"?

I'm not too particularly production focused unless it's bad.  I take it the two albums you are referring to are Black Sea and English Settlement, unless you meant Go 2.  Tongue 

As far as Down To Earth goes, I can't agree that the band was pretty much over.  Really liked Recycled.  But tastes are tastes.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 12 2010 at 18:21

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 09:04
Well, I have three non-randoms in the case:
Omphrey    Omphrey
Joachim Kuhn Band    Sunshower
Residents, The    Bunny Boy, The

Running the next random selection:
Big Big Train    The Difference Machine
Curved Air    Airborne
Fleck, Bela & the Flecktones    Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
Hackett, John, Steve Hackett    Sketches of Satie
Hedges, Michael    Live on the Double Planet
High Llamas, The    Gideon Gaye
Marillion    Somewhere Else
Medeski Martin and Wood    End of the World Party (just in case)
Metheny, Pat Group    STILL life (talking)
Ponty, Jean-Luc    Tchokola
Synergy    Games
Wyatt, Robert    Nothing Can Stop Us
Zappa, Frank & The Mothers of Invention    Absolutely Free

Nice set.  Need one more so I'll have one to load into the truck player.
Jon Hassel's Earthquake Island came up.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 17 2010 at 09:15

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 09:45
I'll leave off commentary on Omphrey as it's new

Joachim Kuhn Band    Sunshower - Top notch JR/F. Jan Akkerman is on this one.  I've been told that Kuhn is primarily a jazz guy.  He did do at least two JR/F's which I have.

Residents, The    Bunny Boy, The - I've become a bit tired of their newer stuff.  They did have some interesting stuff online to accompany this album that I never made it all the way through.  I'll probably save it for truck play so I can give it a better listen.

So, on to the randoms:

Big Big Train    The Difference Machine - This band has made a big big impression on me.  So far they just keep getting more prog.  My latest addition and I have pretty much a complete set.  They really are that good.

Curved Air    Airborne - Not one of their better moments but it has some good moments.  I'll get back to you with those as there really aren't anythings currently memorable. LOL

Fleck, Bela & the Flecktones    Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - When I was thirsty for new prog and it by and large wasn't out there as far as I knew, Fleck and company were something completely different by traditional prog standards.

Hackett, John, Steve Hackett    Sketches of Satie - I was familiar with one Satie piece.  This is the only full set of stuff I have.  Really nice.  Really tempted to go out and get something where the original versions were recorded but this stuff is so beautiful I probably don't really need to.

Hedges, Michael    Live on the Double Planet - Mike had added singing to his music at this point.  I most certainly preferred him as an instrumentalist.  But hey, there's a mixture of both and the guy died in a car accident way before his time.

High Llamas, The    Gideon Gaye - A band that likely won't appeal to most prog fans.  But you never know about my favorite tracks: Checking In, Checking Out and Track Goes By.  Might just win you over.

Marillion    Somewhere Else - I wrote a brief review of this one right after my first listen and got a smack down for it being my first listen and other things about the review.  It no longer wows me as much as my first impression.

Medeski Martin and Wood    End of the World Party (just in case) - I had to get this one just in case I needed to have an end of the world party.  Only one of two MMW's I have and I'd recommend it (just in case).

Metheny, Pat Group    STILL life (talking) - Pat was moving into a phase where I found his music more formulaic and less interesting.  STILL good stuff, but not great stuff.

Ponty, Jean-Luc    Tchokola - Ditto for Ponty here.  There is the novelty of working with African musicians, but not quite the magic of his earlier albums.

Synergy    Games - One of Larry's best for me. 

Wyatt, Robert    Nothing Can Stop Us - Robert Wyatt being over left wing political?  Who'd have thunk it? Nice set of mostly covers.

Zappa, Frank & The Mothers of Invention    Absolutely Free - I'm actually a newcomer to this one despite being a long time Zappa fan.  It still hasn't totally sunk in.

Jon Hassel  Earthquake Island - A relatively new addition that hasn't made a strong impression with me.  Stay tuned, I'll get back to you.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 16:17
nice thread here

OP selection

heres my opinions on these albums.......

Amos, Tori    Scarlett's Walk have not heard (HNH)
Beatles, The    Abbey Road classic
Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky    Le Sacre Du Printemps HNH
De Grassi, Alex    Southern Exposure HNH
Hackett, Steve    Watcher of the Skies HNH
Jackson, Joe    Laughter & Lust HNH
Kansas    Masque HNH
Kottke, Leo    One Guitar, No Vocals HNH
Ponty, Clara    Mirror Of Truth HNH
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Stati Di Immaginazione HNH
Stereolab    Sound-Dust HNH
Wakeman, Rick    Selections from…Journey to the Center of the Earth - a bit dull but has moments of glory

Latest selection:

HNH any of them

I guess I have diff tastes in prog - but will get round to some of them - I have a stack i HNH of my own so its a huge undertaking, this Prog business..........

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 16:20
Nektar    Down To Earth - really my intro to the band and always loved the quirky style esp... the silly concepts and Nelly!
Ozric Tentacles    Spirals In Hyperspace - weird and wonderful, but I rarely return to the music.
Police, The    Synchronicity - is this prog? its their classic and put em on the map for sure along with Regatta...!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - October 17 2010 at 16:51
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 19:44
Not everything will be officially prog, since I'm cycling through the entire collection. 

The Police are on the fringes of prog for me.  It's second in line to Ghost In The Machine.  The Summers/Fripp albums really got me arrested by The Police.  LOL

The collection has a bit of stuff many will not have heard yet, but I hope to turn some people on to some good stuff they should check out if my brief commentary will suffice.  If you see anything you are intrigued by in this blog, just ask me about it and I will elaborate.  I think about 90% of the titles will be prog here or should be prog here or at least related. 

I'll try to do a full review of stuff that comes up that I haven't hit on yet, if they are listed artists here.

Down To Earth doesn't get the full respect it deserves, but I totally understand that as I didn't get it at first.

Ozric is one of those I went on a bit of binge on at first, but I don't really see a need to complete the discography.  Very prolific.  If anyone wants a recommendation on a starting point, go for the live DVD.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 17 2010 at 19:46

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 21:36
Dude what happened to your avatar? It went from amusing to er...creepy.LOL Oh nevermind i just read that it's your Halloween avatar.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 23:38
we will return to your regularly scheduled avatar in November. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>