Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 17:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Wish I could get out of listening to "Feast of Ashes" ... Djam Karet. (Burning the Hard City) ... I think I will wear down the CD player on the car ... and then worry about it! Before that it was the Girl from ... and Dagelbert's ... from Dance of the Flames by Guru Guru ... before that it was Riuichi Sakamoto's "Heartbeat" (specially the title cut ... 17 times in a row!) ... so there ... my mini-blog!

I've run through all the DK albums in this cycle including that one.  The rest I don't know.

By the way, why do you like to open up most of your posts with Hi?  If I'm not on perhaps it should be "Hello, hellllo, are you there?" LOL

I thought I'd rename the title just to fool people into thinking this is a new blog. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 23 2012 at 17:29
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 17:39
Drawn from the last 137 a set of 14 (I still have two to finish listening to from the last draw):
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer    Return of Manticore, The Disc One            35 -  The four disc set is a good sampling of the truly best of ELP.  Didn't really need a new version of Touch And Go or 21st Century Schizoid Man, but I did like their rework of Pictures At An Exhibition and Hang On To A Dream and Fire.

Genesis    Wind & Wuthering            47 - a really quite dreamy album when you think about so I decided to put on some headphones and give it a listen in bed before sleep.

Gentle Giant    Interview            48 - I think most people would agree that this the album where they started slipping.  Not a bad album but not as good as what they had done before.

Gismonti, Egberto    Sol Do Meio Dia            49 - Gismonti, Vasconcelos, Towner, Walcott, and Garbarek, say no more. Music dedicated to the Saipan and Xingu Indians.

Holst, Gustav    Planets, The            61 - had to get a copy of the original music although I liked what Tomita and Gleeson did with their synth interpertation.  From the same bargain bin classical series as the Williams album from the previous load.

Jackson, Joe    Night and Day (Deluxe Edition)            64 - probably didn't really need to get this one.  Didn't need Night and Day demo tracks, but I did get the Mike's Murder tracks so what the hell.

Jethro Tull    Little Light Music, A            65 - a nice collection of live mostly acoustic Tull.

King Crimson    In the Court of the Crimson King (Remaster)            71 - I could have sworn this one already came up the cycle.  I could really care less about the endless debates on this album: first prog, etc.  It's still a damn fine album.

Metheny, Pat Group    First Circle            80 - at some point I started to lose interest in getting all the Metheny I could whenever it came out.  This wasn't it.  Any Metheny fans drinking a beverage when the first track started probably spewed it out their nose.  Does humor belong in music, yes.

Oldfield, Mike    Killing Fields, The Original Film Soundtrack            87 - good movie, good soundtrack.

Oregon    Moon and Mind            88 - it's weird but I didn't start digging back too deep into Oregon's 70's catalog until recently.  Glad I did.  And what do you know?  Two albums with Walcott and Towner in one draw.

Phillips, Anthony    Sides            94 - continuing in path of related draws, another Genesis guy.  He'll never top Geese but it's OK for what it is.

Rutherford, Mike    Smallcreep's Day            109 - another Genesis guy.  Well I'm glad Banks and Rutherford managed to at least squeeze out one decent prog album each.  For some reason they got LP sides reversed on the CD, so I fixed it when I ripped it.

Yes    Symphonic Music of Yes            134 - Yes guys have a stronger presence on this one but I only got it because it was cheap used.  Not really necessary.

Loading today for tomorrow.

If anyone wants to for fun, see how many dots you can connect between these albums.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 28 2012 at 13:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 07:15
It's weird, a lot of my few classical CDs have been turning up as I near the end of the cycle.

Well, there wasn't anything going on at work yesterday so I went home at lunch and I don't often listen to much at this computer (use it more for watching video music when I'm not killing time here).

Beefheart, Captain and the Magic Band    Doc at the Radar Station            12 - my first encounter with the Beef was on the Zappa album, Bongo Fury.  This was my second and I like it better than any of the other albums I've tried, which is not to say too many.

Bruford, Bill with Ralph Towner and Eddie Gomez    If Summer Had It's Ghosts            19 - I was surprised to see Bruford and Towner getting together on the DGM label.  Not a spectacular album but good mellow modern jazz.

De Lucia, Paco/Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin    Guitar Trio, The            31 - doesn't have the magic of San Francisco, still good.

Di Meola, Al    Infinite Desire, The            32 -  Al stretches out into mellow modern jazz.  Unless missed something it was his first departure from what had become a formula of sorts for his earlier solo albums.

Frith, Fred    Technology of Tears, The            44 - you can't dance to prog?  Exhibit 1.  You can, it just has to be really weird,

Grieg, Edvard Hagerup    Concerto in A Minor, Peer Gynt Suite 1&2, etc.            48 - the composer who had a piece of music stuck in my head but I didn't know who it was until college. 

Police, The    Zenyatta Mondatta            85 - this got the lowest ratings in a Police album poll.  Beats me. 

Porcupine Tree    Voyage 32            91 - this one has to go down as my least favorite PT album.  It was supposed to be all trippy but it doesn't work too well.  Kinda overdid the Gilmoresque guitar riff.

Premiata Forneria Marconi    L' Isola Di Niente            92 - I was a fan of The World Became The World for a long time despite my only copy being a really crappy pressing.  When the older PFM albums started showing up on CD, I was a happy guy

Residents, The    Wormwood - Curious Stories From The Bible            94 - ah we have this religious and non-religious album threads going on.  This is one more people should hear.  Very disturbing, but then it is The Residents.

Shadowfax    Shadowfax            100 - Shadowfax, Shadowfax.  After having disappeared for a few years after a spectacular debut album, they resurfaced on Windham Hill.  The heaviness is gone but the album is still good.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 18 2012 at 09:02

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 10:12
Bruford    Gradually Going Tornado            17 - Holdsworth is gone, singing is back courtesy Jeff Berlin.  He does a pretty good job, I just like the instrumentals on this album better.

Bubu    Anabelas            18 - an album I wouldn't know from boo if weren't for PA. 

Buckethead    Bucketheadland 2            19 - a little less shredding and more creepiness.

Frith, Fred    Cheap At Half the Price            39 - fun little politically oriented album.  Homemade with Frith accompanying himself a cheesy little Casio keyboard and borrowed drum bits.  Sampling before there was sampling.

Hackett, Steve    Cured            43 - hope I don't wake in the morning, trying to find you attempting pop...Has a few good moments, often the songs have a nice proggy intro and then fizzle when Steve starts to sing.

McDonald and Giles    McDonald and Giles            62 - I haven't had the CD for but a few years now.  It just doesn't really excite me.

McLaughlin, John    Floating Point            63 - speaking of albums that don't excite me.  It got a lot of really positive reviews on this site but.

Nice, The    Ars Longa Vita Brevis            68 - a little crazy a lot of moderized classical, I like it.

Residents, The    Animal Lover            84 - I saw it browsing and decided to give it a try.  My last was Wormwood.  This one's much better.

Scofield, John & Pat Metheny    I Can See Your House From Here            89 - another jazz rock album that fails to excite me.  Metheny has taken a decidedly negative view of the term jazz rock/fusion being applied to his music.  I think the PM Group album represent some of the best of that.  I think this album is one in which he runs away from that style.

Yes    Keystudio            109 - what might be the classic band lineup is on this one.  Sometimes I just fail to see the reason they kept making music.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 05 2012 at 19:17

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 13:00
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Hi,

Wish I could get out of listening to "Feast of Ashes" ... Djam Karet. (Burning the Hard City) ... I think I will wear down the CD player on the car ... and then worry about it! Before that it was the Girl from ... and Dagelbert's ... from Dance of the Flames by Guru Guru ... before that it was Riuichi Sakamoto's "Heartbeat" (specially the title cut ... 17 times in a row!) ... so there ... my mini-blog!

I've run through all the DK albums in this cycle including that one.  The rest I don't know.

By the way, why do you like to open up most of your posts with Hi?  If I'm not on perhaps it should be "Hello, hellllo, are you there?" LOL

I thought I'd rename the title just to fool people into thinking this is a new blog. Tongue

Riuichi Sakamoto only did an umpteen number of soundtracks, has an Oscar in his closet for writing the western music in a movie that David Byrne wrote the Eastern music, and on top of it also acted a lot and happened to be a fabulous keyboard wizard ... with ... Yellow Magic Orchestra!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 13:15

Hi,

Riuichi Sakamoto only did an umpteen number of soundtracks, has an Oscar in his closet for writing the western music in a movie that David Byrne wrote the Eastern music, and on top of it also acted a lot and happened to be a fabulous keyboard wizard ... with ... Yellow Magic Orchestra!

Hang around here enough and you'll learn something new.  Big smile
My brother had a YMO album that I think was made of yellow vinyl....

It may have been magical but I cannot attest to that.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2012 at 13:16

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 20:32
On a darker note, today I joined the ranks of the unemployed.  I don't know if the work will pick up where I was or like the dust that gathers all around me, I will find a new home.  I don't know if I'll get to listen to my music if I wind up at a new company.  Listening at work was my main outlet for cycling through my catalog.  However, between jobs and while seeking I will be setting aside about six hours a day to teach myself some software called Revit, so I will continue to listen to music while I learn and drive to interviews. 

But I digress, it's time for a new load of 12!!!

Byrne. David and Brian Eno    Everything That Happens Will Happen Today            20 - it's no My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, which seemed to me to be more of a collaboration.  This sounds more like a standard Byrne album with Eno as a guest.

Fripp, Robert    Love Cannot Bear            35 - the best in the soundscapes series I've heard so far.

High Llamas, The    Cold and Bouncy            41 - I went on a bit of an HL collecting spree when I first got into them, there's a few albums in their discography that just uh, leave me cold without the bouncy.  I think we have about three fans on the band on this site and that probably includes me. LOL  For the uninitiated but curious, I can steer you to the good ones.

Holdsworth, Allan/ Gordon Beck    With a Heart in My Song            45 - one of those I found browsing used CDs, not particularly impressed

Jethro Tull    Songs from the Wood (Remaster)            48 - still as good as it ever was.  Doesn't really make me feel much better than I could know though.  All of the '70's albums are essential for me.

Jonas Hellborg    Art Metal            50 - one of those fairly new albums I can credit this site for making me aware of.  I've only scratched the surface of Hellborg's albums so far and have yet to be disappointed.

Mahavishnu Orchestra    Inner Mounting Flame (Remaster)            53 - one of the great debut albums of prog.  Seems like around this time a lot of bands took an album or two to really get their prog groove on.  Not so here.

Santana    all that I am            78 - kind of makes you wish Supernatural wasn't so commercially successful as this was the third in a series of assorted collaborations albums.  Still, the S man delivers up some instrumentals and I'd rather hear his commercial stuff that the dreck getting churned out these days.

Steely Dan    Citizen Steely Dan: 1972 -1980 Disc 2            81 - SD was around the house when I first got into prog, but I didn't really get into the music until I decided to get the box set.  Disc starts off with the most excellent King Of The World.

Summers, Andy    Mysterious Barricades            84 - Summers would take a more jazz rock/fusion approach to his later albums, this one's more like Eno or Fripp electronic ambient.

Sylvian, David & Robert Fripp    First Day, The            86 - my first Sylvian album I got in '03.  Not sure how I came to be interested in it.  Probably found it browsing used or looking up Fripp titles online.

Vangelis    Direct            92 - not bad for the '80's.  For some reason I had quit following Vangelis after the earlier '80's, found this browsing used CDs.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 10 2012 at 10:46

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 10:47

The High Llamas will finish out the last round today.  Time to load up 15 plus one for the truck.  And the lucky winners are:
Amos, Tori    Strange Little Girls            3 - I couldn't believe it when I saw that Adrian Belew was the guitarist for this album.  An album of covers.  Most notable for me are the deconstruction of Neil Young's Heart Of Gold and her version of Slayer's Raining Blood is absolutely chilling particularly considering it came out right after 9/11/2001

Beck, Jeff    Emotion & Commotion            10 - two words: Tal Wilkenfeld, spring for the version with the concert DVD.

Budd, Harold    Room, The            17 - I listened to this one while I was in one of my rooms.  One of his better ones.  Not that there are any I'd consider bad.

Bush, Kate    Sensual World, The            19 - this album was new out when my maternal grandmother died and it will always remind me of that fall season.

Carlos, Wendy    Digital Moonscapes            20 - after being wowed by The Beauty In The Beast, I found this one a bit of a disappointment, can't really quite put my finger on why other than the music on that one is just much more interesting.

Curved Air    Air Cut            22 - considering that all that was left of the original band was Sonja Kristina.  The beginning of Eddie Jobson stalking Darryl Way. LOL

De Grassi, Alex    World's Getting Loud, The            24 - Alex' claim to fame was his solo acoustical guitar work on Windham Hill label.  He put a band together for this album.

Happy the Man    Death's Crown            38 - One for the fans.  It's a concept album that precedes their first release on Arista.  The recording is demo quality for the time and many of the musical ideas would show up in their first official releases.

Hine, Rupert    Immunity            39 - this album came to the used bookstore I was working at.  I gave it a try because it had Phil Collins on it as a guest musician for two tracks.  It's a mix of crossover prog and synth pop.

Mahavishnu Orchestra    Inner Worlds            47 - probably my least favorites when stacked up against any of the albums that came before it yet it has one of the most beautiful songs John has ever done: Lotus Feet.

Metheny, Pat    New Chataqua            51 - did we really need a new Chakakahn?  Just a man and his guitar.  One Quiet Night did not turn out as well as this.

Phideaux    Doomsday Afternoon            60 - after I tried Fiendish, in 2007, I went on a raid and got five more titles including this fresh out one.  Certainly my favorite, but I really enjoy the others as well.

Porcupine Tree    Fear of a Blank Planet            66 - PT has yet to put out a bad album since I got on the train with In Absentia.  Same for those that came before.

Sutin, Paul with Steve Howe    Seraphim            75 - even though Steve got top billing, he doesn't play on all the songs so I logged it in with Paul's name first.  Kind of new-agey.

Wyatt, Robert    shleep            85 - my intro into Wyatt's solo work.  I was familiar with old Soft Machine, but there was a radio program on National Public Radio that I happened to tune into by chance and it was an interview and the discussion focused on this newly released album.  I was instantly hooked.  Still probably my favorite.

Zappa, Frank/Captain Beefheart/Mothers    Bongo Fury    - my first Zappa album and also introduced me to Beefheart.  Weird wild stuff.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 14 2012 at 17:55

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 11:15
I'll be ready for a "New Chataqua" soon.  I'm almost finished reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -- for the sixth time.  I like to read it once a year just to keep my brain soft.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 17:57
I generally only read a book once.

Ran through my last batch, working on the next set:
Anderson, Jon and Vangelis    Short Stories            4 - I was already a Vangelis fan when this album came out, heard if first on the radio.  Like it much better than Cairo.

Beck, Jeff    You Had It Coming            9 - not as good as most of his '70's stuff.  Jeff did get back on par with E & C.

Curved Air    Lovechild            17 - one of those long lost albums from the Jobson period this time with two of the original members.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer    Return of Manticore, The Disc Four            19 - could scratch all the sappy love songs on this disc, but it is redeemed by Pirates.

Kansas    Leftoverture            37 - rightfully a highly regarded Kansas album although I think I've heard Carry On Wayward Son enough for a lifetime.  It's not bad for a commercially successful prog song.

Maserati    Inventions for the New Season            39 - my intro to this band was sampler CD included with an Explosions In The Sky Song.  I'd describe their music as more energetic.  Went to try and order a copy of the album but it hadn't been released yet.  I like Maserati better but like all post rock I've tried, nothing seems to distinguish one album from the other.

Metheny, Pat Group    Speaking Of Now            41 - another good album, but seems like after a string of really good albums, starting with the debut, they don't really have anything new to say.

Patterson, David    Selene            46 - David is or at least was a local guitarist, kind of crossover.  I was surprised to find this for sale on Amazon.

Porcupine Tree    in absentia            54 - the album that started it all for me as a PT fan.  It's weird mixture of heavy metal and prog rock, with some Crosby Stills and Nash like vocal parts here and there.  Just clicked.

Porcupine Tree    Stupid Dream (Remaster)            55 - I was trying to complete my PT catalog and this along with Lightbulb Sun were two that were out of print.  I found a new import version that I paid too much for and wouldn't you know it, the remaster was released shortly after.

Santana    Shaman            58 - I mostly like his guests albums that started with Supernatural.  Of course they are always a mixed bag.  I can't stand that song that opens up with the vocalist telling us to turn it up.  I usually turn that one down or hit skip.

Talking Heads    Little Creatures            62 - they peaked with Remain In Light for me.  I kept following them up until their demise, but nothing had the magic of that. 

Various Artists    Big Blue Ball            68 - kind of like what Santana was doing with his albums like Supernatural only not just primarily vocal collaborators.

Wyatt, Robert    mid-eighties            70 - Robert Wyatt: one of the things that didn't suck in the '80's. 

XTC    Homespun            71 - I don't think this was really worth getting but I was so thrilled that XTC had started making new albums again I had to have it.  I think a couple of listens for curiosities sake would have been enough.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 18 2012 at 09:04

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 09:10
Looks like I'll be wrapping up the cycle this month.  Then I'll go back and do the new additions since I started this thread.  Next up:
Anderson, Jon    Olias of Sunhillow            3 - Jon's finest solo album.

Blackfield    Blackfield            9 - a little slip in ad for this one came with a PT album I had ordered became the first SW project I tried outside of PT.

Bowie, David    Black Tie, White Noise            10 - Brian Can't Dance, either, well not entirely true but it would have to be really silly.  Not bad for dance music.  I got the set with bonus DVD and bonus CD discs.

Eno, Brian    Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy            18 - much smoother album than his debut.

Glass, Phillip    Songs from Liquid Days            24 - Koyyannisquattsi turned me on to Glass.  Working with Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, and The Roches was totally unexpected.  Which reminds me, I really need to get at least one of theirs on CD.

Hackett, Steve    To Watch The Storms            26 - Darktown totally passed me by but I was aware of this one when it was released.  After several classical albums, which I got, it was nice to see Steve returning to prog rock.

Holdsworth, Allan    Metal Fatigue            28 - on of his better solo albums to be sure.

Manzanara, Phil    Diamond Head            33 - I might have had this in collection in LP form but it never turned up at used record stores, which is to say one his better solo albums.

Pere Ubu    Beach Boys See Dee +            39 - three live songs and a computer program I don't think I ever got to work.

Phillips, Anthony    Wise After the Event            42 - kind of a step down from Geese and Ghost.  Anthony was trying to be more commercially accessible.

Ponty, Jean-Luc    King Kong            45 - Ponty does Zappa in the early years.

Stereolab    Peng!            50 - still honing their act, one of two full length releases in 1992.

Tangerine Dream    Underwater Sunlight            52 - TD, one of the things that didn't suck in the '80's.

van't Hof, Jasper    Face to Face            53 - basic mellow modern acoustic jazz.

Various    Dali: The Endless Enigma            55 - the various are Robert Rich, Michael Sterns, Michel Huygen, Steve Roach, Walter Holland, Klaus Schulze, Djam Karet, Loren Nerell, Bo Tomlyn.  Progressive Electronic, really.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 03 2012 at 13:13

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 09:36
Coming down to the last few:
Afrocelts    Seed            2 - hate to say it but after a while there's only a point in getting so many of their albums as they are all rather similar.

Anderson, Laurie    Home of the Brave            3 - best experienced in video format, unfortunately only available on VHS and out of print at the moment.

Belew, Adrian    side one            7 - highlight of this was having Les Claypool guest on this one.  Downside, he only guests on a few tracks.

Claypool, Les and the Holy Mackerel    Highball With the Devil            11 - one of the many Claypool non-Primus projects.  They're all good.

Dregs, The    Unsung Heroes            12 - Dixie Dregs ditched the Dixie and did a radio friendly new version of Cruise Control.  I seem to recall that getting a little radio play.  They made one more album with two radio friendly tracks but gave up and disbanded, but would later come back alive.

Eno, Brian    Here Come the Warm Jets            13 - a bit of a rough debut, I still like it but a few more were to follow that I like better.

Enya    A Day Without Rain            15 - first saw her on VH1 before she became better known.  Some might wright her off as being too new agey, but it.

Fripp & Eno    No Pussyfooting            17 - I just recently added this one to the collection, maybe it was due to having a track called Swastika Girls.  Just for fun on the deluxe version they added a second disc with tracks run at half speed and backwards and the music still works.

Hine, Rupert    Wildest Wish To Fly            21 - took an interest in Rupert with Immunity.  My original copy was a promo.  Mixture of synth-pop and electronic prog or maybe it would fit better in crossover.

Jackson, Joe    Body and Soul            22 - this was his first album after a live show on the radio, I think it was King Biscuit, got me to take notice of him as an artist.  This one certainly deepened my respect for his work.

Kansas    In the Spirit of Things            25 - rather unremarkable album, but hey, it's got Steve Morse. 

Phillips, Anthony    Private Parts and Pieces IX: Dragonfly Dreams            32 - a cobbling together of pieces of various styles made at various times with Ant on various instruments.

Pineapple Thief, The    Tightly Unwound            33 - another one of those groups that after a while you realize one album isn't that radically different from another, which can be a good point and a bad point.  Good album, being my fourth addition.  I wasn't in a hurry to get their next one though.

Steely Dan    Everything Must Go            38 - glad they decided to start putting out albums again.  Nothing spectacular but your basic quality SD music.

Tangerine Dream    Mars Polaris            39 - I like this one much better than Vangelis Mars album and of course the Marscape album over them both.

28 titles left in the cycle, that's about two more loads.  I'll wrap up the blog with a random spin through anything newly added since before September 23 2010, when I started the whole collection cycle.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 27 2012 at 15:14

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 15:15
Up next

This draw set is rather interesting, two ghosts, Gabriel II and Fripp's Exposure (two of a trilogy that includes Darryl Hall's Sacred Songs.

Bass Communion    Ghosts On Magnetic Tape            3 - spooky ambient.

Beck, Jeff    Blow By Blow            4 - one of my all time Beck favorites.

Brand X    Moroccan Roll            6 -  when Brand X was on a roll.

Budd, Harold    White Arcades, The            8 - waited too long to add this one after I started seriously collecting Budd's catalog.

Eno, Brian    Shutov Assembly, The            9 - relaxing ambient.

Fripp, Robert    Exposure            11 - for those who found the change in Crimson from Red to Discipline a radical leap, this along with the League Of Gentlemen are two transitional projects worth checking out.

Gabriel, Peter    II            12 - my first PG album.  After having fallen in love with Gabriel era Genesis, this was a bit of a let down when I first got it.  It grew on me.  Weird that getting to the bottom of my random selection run that I would draw down this one and Exposure, which some may know are part of a planned trilogy of sorts.

Goodman, Jerry    It's Alive            13 - unless you just really need to hear Jerry doing the Perry Mason theme this album is rather pointless.  Live sounds pretty much just like studio.

no-man    schoolyard ghosts            18 - I went on a no-man binge before this came out.  I think the no-man project is best when they step away from the basic formula.  Pigeon Drummer was a pleasant surprise.

Ogerman Orchestra, The Claus    Gate of Dreams            19 - lots of mellow stuff turning up in this set.  This is one of those saw it in a used bin, knew nothing about it, gave it a try and glad I did.

Pere Ubu    Story of My Life            20 - one of four out of eight of their albums that are essential in my collection.  The earliest two and two after Ray Gun Suitcase I could do without.

Ponty, Jean-Luc    Enigmatic Ocean            21 - if I had to pick one favorite Ponty album, this would be it.

Rhodes, Happy    Keep, The            22 - a compilation of un released covers and original stuff either live versions or un released.

Roxy Music    Stranded            23 - I had a hard time with their albums before the live Viva.  They were moving in the direction of my favorite stuff with this one.

Wakeman, Rick    Return To The Centre Of The Earth            26 - since the original gets so much weight for being one of my first prog albums I added to my collection, this one kind of pales in comparison.

12 more titles will wrap up the cycle.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 01 2012 at 10:33

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:02
And so ends this cycle:

Banks, Tony    A Curious Feeling - thank god Banks got one good solo album out before he went totally commercial.

Brand X    Manifest Destiny - latter day BX doesn't quite have the magic of early era or Phil Collins, but this one's pretty good.

Focus    Live at the BBC - great set sans Jan.  Philip Catherine is an excellent substitute.

Jackson, Joe    Look Sharp! (Remaster) - I don't think I would appreciate the songs on his earlier albums if I hadn't gotten to know them first in later live incarnations.

Johnson, Eric    Venus Isle - I dropped the cover art into the what are you listening to thread and what do you know, exposed a couple of other fans.  I have yet to get a bad EJ album.  One of those artists more folks around here should get to know.

Metheny, Pat    Bright Size Life - in many ways Pat was more adventurous with his earlier work.

Moody Blues, The    Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - the Moodies are one of those bands I felt the need to complete the early discography of even though I could easily cut out a lot of the quainter songs and come up best of compilation that would include some of the more commercially successful ones.

Nine Inch Nails    Year Zero - an improvement over his first comeback album.  Observations on life in the latter 2000's.  The last two songs are particularly moving.

Skeleton Crew    Learn To Talk/The Country of Blinds - I got the first album at a concert when the Crew came to town.  Took forever to come out on CD.  Really pleased to see it paired with a second SC album that I hadn't heard yet and of course the bonus tracks.

Vangelis    China - the V man got on a roll with me starting with Albedo this is part of it.

Yorke, Thom    Eraser, The - nice filler while I was waiting for In Rainbows.  Sad to say none of Radiohead's stuff post Hail To The Thief have had quite the impact on me as the ones from The Bends thru that one.

Zappa, Frank    Hot Rats - it's got rats and peaches, what's not to like here?

After this on to 94 titles added since this blog was started in 2010.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 04 2012 at 15:12

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 18:08
I appreciated reading your comments on the selected albums, Slarti. Fine read, good musical taste.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 09:43

Gismonti, Egberto    Works - kind of shy away from compilations, but there's lots of good stuff here.

Haven't got that, but I have so many of his albums that one that appeared to be a compilation did not look good for me.

I still think that "No Caipira" is one hell of a fantabulous album ... the mix in there of Villa Lobos, Stravinsky, Bossa Nova and Jazz ... is insane, magnificent and one of the most far out things I have ever heard. It really takes you for a loop and then some ... if you want to close your eyes ...

Ohhh wait ... you're driving ... YOU CAN'T DO THAT! Like Djam Karet, this is not good stuff to listen to in a car ... this is sit down and close your eyes music!

Ozric Tentacles    Waterfall Cities - I dunno, I like the guys, great high energy music, but damned if I can tell one album from the other if you played them for me on music only.

I think they are done. I really think the end of this band was when John left ... his mix with those Italian guys (Dream something) is not that exciting, and was recorded worse, and he sounds second rate and out of place.

And now that OT is just the family band ... I have not found it to get better. I like Brandi's playing, but she is ... like the kids in the jazz band in high school, for me ... she makes sure she has the notes right and does a very nice job ... but I do not see creativity shining out of there as an expression. I just see notes that are carefully played.

Sadly, and I love Erpland and Strangeitude ... I think this band is done. Nice music ... so what?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 09:50

Hang around here enough and you'll learn something new.  Big smile
My brother had a YMO album that I think was made of yellow vinyl....

It may have been magical but I cannot attest to that.

Ohh yeah? ... I have the promo that has them talking about Japanese having small .... (not discuss'able here!) ...
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 09:58

Curved Air    Air Cut            22 - considering that all that was left of the original band was Sonja Kristina.  The beginning of Eddie Jobson stalking Darryl Way. LOL

The long cut is really nice ... Moonsomething or other.

Zappa, Frank/Captain Beefheart/Mothers    Bongo Fury    - my first Zappa album and also introduced me to Beefheart.  Weird wild stuff.

Hahaha ... we need to have you sit through 200 Motels ... and beware Mystery Roach which has to be played very loud ... makes some metal sound like tin cans!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 10:14

Eno, Brian    Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy            18 - much smoother album than his debut.

I like the first album, although there are some things that are ... different. You do know that Blank Frank is about Bryan Ferry, and then, of course, Robert Fripp makes Phil Manzanera sound like a kid with a guitar. That sound is monstrously good!  Baby's On Fire ... better throw her in the water ... is the guitar style that those "jagged guitar" definition folks can not handle and listen to ... and of course, it's Robert Fripp on guitar! This should go on the rock anthem list play for your trip. So, it's not progressive. But it's magnificently noisy, loud, and fabulous for me! I like cranking this guitar when the car next to me is playing boom boom rap stuff that is so un-musical ... that it should annoy them!

Cool

The 2nd album is less "rock" and more out there, and it's still good, and some of the drumming in that album is totally out of sight. I believe that Phil Collins was in on several of these pieces, or maybe it was in the next album and would have to re-check.

Manzanara, Phil    Diamond Head            33 - I might have had this in collection in LP form but it never turned up at used record stores, which is to say one his better solo albums.

I like this album a lot. Even though it is about setting up his solo on almost all the pieces, by the time you hear "Lacrima" and the piece behind, it is a bit less so, and it is quite alright.

Tangerine Dream    Underwater Sunlight            52

I like this one a lot. The opening is really nice, and I can flow with it all day long ... but I would not dare drive on these ... this is not music for you to listen to when driving ... this is music for you to listen when you want to trip!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 10:21
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I appreciated reading your comments on the selected albums, Slarti. Fine read, good musical taste.

I had started a blog that also had more than half the stuff that fit into the progressive mode ... but some fart moved it out of this folder ... so I only do Slart's ... because he's one of the few folks here that can listen to things, and someone in this board is not going to find an excuse to move the thread so no one will read it or find it!

Edited by moshkito - May 03 2012 at 10:21
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>