Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobert Fripp: The most beautiful guitar solo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 19:39
St. Elmo's Fire. Best guitar solo ever?
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 01:19
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Fripp + Beautiful = A Blessing of Tears
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 02:49
I’ve always loved his playing on Cirkus.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 08:28
Hi,

This is really hard to decide, since RF re-defines the idea of "solo", and "lead", when both of these do exactly the same thing within one piece of music ... sometimes leading it, and other times, just adding to it.

When you hear some of "Heroes" (David Bowie's) and specially watch the KC video, you realize that ... wow ... is this a solo? And the answer is NO ... this is the drive in the song, and it does not stop and RF does this on so much of the KC material, that defining something he does as "solo", I think demeans the quality of his compositional work, and material that is used in King Crimson. I seriously doubt, that RF looks at any of these pieces mentioned here as a "solo", at all, and I question the knowledge and appreciation of the music itself ... when you think of KC as a bunch of solos ... and it isn't.

The musicians are given some solo spots ... but you will rarely find one for RF ... he doesn't like doing "solo's" and has stated so many times ... and we still look for "solo's".

I really wonder what folks are listening to ... when they have simplified all music to just "solo's" and have no idea when it is a solo and when it is not! My definition is not perfect, but I think it is perfectly obvious to my ear!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Pharaaum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 10:44
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

St. Elmo's Fire.
Yasss!
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 13:29
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

This is really hard to decide, since RF re-defines the idea of "solo", and "lead", when both of these do exactly the same thing within one piece of music ... sometimes leading it, and other times, just adding to it.

Not so easy to tell outside of conventional structures such as : lead = theme / solo = everyone plays the chords from the grid except the improvizing soloist. 

Now if a line "leads" it should mean all the other lines "follow" which is not really the case in a solo where the soloist would "fly" above the remaining.

I don't think Fripp is a very succesful soloist, because it often sounds like he's launching lines but becomes stuck, typically into repeating patterns after playing differents notes, before finding ways out. When he succeeds it's champagne for all though !!

Sailor's Tales's solo is one of my best Crimson trips. Providence is sublime with it's agility and change of directions (but everyone is flying there so it's not really a solo, even if it is played like a solo). The New heavenly Corporation and Swastika Girls have me ! Lately a dgm download  "Heavy Skirmish" (from April 18th 2016) features one of his all time bests at my place.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 15:58
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

The one that comes at the end of Peter Gabriel's "White Shadow".  One of Gabriel's best songs, and a sublime solo. 
Good choice - Forgot about that one. Rather good!
Does that repetitive simple riff over the extended instrumental part of "Starless" count as a solo? Mesmerising!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456