Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRitchie Blackmore or Tony Iommi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Who's your favorite guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [48.75%]
41 [51.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 10:00
Ritchie Blackmore on this one. Reason: anything he has done with Rainbow (especially Gates of Babylon).

Would you like some Bailey's?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 11:51
The thing which always drove me a bit crazy regarding Blackmore, was the fact that he would turn off his distortion at a gig and start to play jazzy and bluesy improv. It gave you the idea that he was more schooled in guitar playing then the presentation of what he did in a Deep Purple rock song. He studied classical guitar at a young age and would add in snippets using a clean tone. He was sort of fooling people in some way I suppose. It depended on if he was in the mood to play like that. He was very shifty in that way. Especially with D.P. He had an interest in witchcraft supposedly but, if he did for sure.....it would appear that his inner turmoil along with fights between him and Gillian, caused him to drift further and further away from society. This realization of him was what in fact caused him to change his approach on the guitar for every performance. He had  real dealings with how people related to him and their reaction. He carried that with him on stage. He was a strange rock guitarist to see live because you never knew what kind of a mood he would be in that night. If he was angry, he would display violence. He is the only rock guitarist I can think of that displayed a show out of pure personal anger. Townshend smashed many guitars as part of the act, where Blackmore was just being ignorant!LOL 
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 15:13
Iommi is one of those people that I always thought could make a badass riff and whatnot, but after a while would start getting repetitive.  Blackmore.....is god like.  The Live Deep Purple from the early seventies hasn't proven this to me.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 16:31
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

Has Iommi done blues so I can compare further?

Listen to the first Sabbath album. Or listen to Live At Last. A lot of early Sabbath is blues based. Go on youtube and punch in Sabra Cadabra Pt 2  ( live )   8/15 and youl hear him get into some blues grooves halfway through  the solo. Even Ozzy gets into it!
Thanks, I'll check it out.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 16:32
^Thats most certainly something you need to check out.  I was never even a Sabbath fan, but I love that early stuff, specifically live.  Very blues based. 
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Jazzywoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 13:07
Both are riff masters, but personally i think Blackmore is much better.  I love Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, out of the two i prefer Sabbath, but Blackmores tone, ability, and performance overall are much more sophistocated and much more fluid than that of Tony.  I mean, Tony has done awesome riffs like "Black Sabbath" and "Fairies Wear Boots," but when you listen to tracks like "Corncupia" and "Supernaut," both off the volume 4 album, you would see that his riffs and playing are slightly disjointed while Blackmore as has a fluid feel, just take "Woman From Tokyo" for example.  It's a smooth riff, with the verses and chorses seem to flow well into each other.  But...thats just me haha.
holy ghost View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:08
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The thing which always drove me a bit crazy regarding Blackmore, was the fact that he would turn off his distortion at a gig and start to play jazzy and bluesy improv. It gave you the idea that he was more schooled in guitar playing then the presentation of what he did in a Deep Purple rock song.  

I don't know if you've seen the Deep Purple MKII DVD that was released with a concert of them in Denmark and then colour footage of them in NYC for 3 songs, but the NYC footage is incredibly well shot, it's at the time when Blackmore and Gillian weren't even speaking and the dynamics are hilarious - he looks so f**king bored throughout the show while playing, and it almost looks like Gillian is trying to annoy him during the call and response of Strange Kind Of Woman. It's amazingly interesting to watch the dynamics. Blackmore is fantastic but he seems like such a difficult person to work with, like sacking Glover because you're bored with him? How egotistical can you get? And then during Smoke On The Water he literally looks like he's asleep.......

That being said, it's just scary how good he is. It seems almost appropriate he was one of the greatest guitar players in the 70's and he's still playing and unable to work with almost anyone because he's just such a jerk. I'd expect nothing less form a guitar hero of that stature.

As far as the poll I can't vote but I like both equally for very different reasons. MK II Purple is some of the most amazing guitar playing, while Iommi is just the master of the riff...... I can't decide, well, I guess when buying guitars I've always bought an SG, never a Strat.... but that doesn't mean much ha ha........
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:11
I'm not a Sabbath fan so it has to be BlackmoreShocked
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:24
I vote for Blackmore because more Prog.

In this view... For this type of axeman I prefer also Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page to Iommy because too more prog as concept of music.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 14:43

they were a match during their heyday, but blackmore has not produced one note of interest since 1978,
iommi however kept digging up gems from his bottomless riff treasure box

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 14:55
Tony Iommi!!!Doom metal!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Tursake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 15:20
Blackmore since I think hes superb whereas I don't really like Iommi.

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 11:07
i love when Blackmore and Lord pushed eacother and played on and off eachother lile a 'rap-battle' with their classical chops anf flourishes. They seemd to love to tease eachother by showing of their technical muscles whil the rythm section did their best to follow.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 11:10
Iommi is God!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 11:26
Love both but Iommi's tone is to die for. He f'ing invented heavy metal!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 11:45
Tony by a mile.  From overcoming his early career fingertip accident to basically invent heavy metal, to giving lymphoma the big middle finger the past few years and continuing to tour and record anyway, I've always considered Tony the most inspirational guitarist ever.  Oh ya, and the first 5 Sabbath albums kill Evil Smile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 12:09
Iommi's riffs are fantastic, as is his guitar tone.....however, I must opt for Blackmore. Despite being a right moody bugger and taking a decidedly commercial route with Rainbow towards the end (after the glories of the Dio-era), he was one hell of a guitarist who mastered his instrument in so many different ways and showed a greater diversity in his playing. Iommi is a player I admire, and how he has overcome so much in his life is inspirational - but I must go with my head rather than my heart here.

Edited by Squonk19 - February 02 2018 at 12:10
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 12:18
I really love both, but Iommi is just greater to me. Sabbath rules! I go with my heart!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 12:18
I'm sure Blackmore has greater technique, and is a more complete guitarist, but he's made far less music that I love than Iommi.  Maybe because when it comes to heavy music I'm more interested in great riffs than blazing solos. And when it comes to great riffs the first six Sabbath albums are the Old and New Testament as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 02 2018 at 12:19
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 12:24
Ahahah so easy ! Iommi esp for his tone on Sabotage and several songs after like Over To You and Swingin' The Chain
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>