Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd - Animals Best Remaster?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - Animals Best Remaster?
    Posted: October 04 2010 at 09:40
I'm in the process of gradually replacing all of my vinyl with CDs and I've been looking at the various versions of 'Animals' that have been released since 1977.

What's the rumpus? From these versions, which do people think is the best remaster?

• 1985 - CBS/Sony Group / 32DP 360 / Japanese First Pressing
  • 1990 - CBS/Sony Group / CSCS 6042 / Japanese Pressing
  • 1992 - Harvest / CDP 7 46128 2 / UK Release (Doug Sax Remaster)
  • 1994 - EMI / CDP 7243 8 29748 2 6 / Digital Remaster
  • 1994 - Harvest / CDP 7 46128 2 / Dutch Release - Remastered
  • 1997 - Columbia Records / CK 68521 / US Rls. / 20th Anni. Ed. / James Guthrie
  • 2001 - Toshiba/EMI / TOCP-65741 / Japan Mini-LP Remaster

I fancy the James Guthrie or Doug Sax remasters may be the ones to think about, but I've heard some great Japanese miniCD remasters of the Yes catalogue so I don't want to write them off either.  Actually, outside of the original pressing I have no idea, which is why I ask Tongue

Edited by Makntak - October 04 2010 at 09:41

Whoever Controls Your Eyeballs Rules The World
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 10:27
Don't know why you would want to replace your vinyl but I would go with the Toshiba EMI remaster. I'm no expert but I've got a few of those. Or even the other two Japaneese remasters. But they might be a little more pricey. Animals is my favourite Floyd album BTW.
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 14:38
Ah yes, replacing the vinyl is a sore point.  There are a number of reasons I need to do this, primary amongst them is the fact that I had my Hi-Fi stolen along with my turntable so I can't actually play them.  This was ten years ago and I've never been in a financial position to replace it all since (!).  Secondly, and also importantly comes the need for general sanity: Lady Makntak ( or er indoors, as she is sometimes referred to) is constantly moaning about how much space my albums take.  Something has to give and, much as I love my vinyl, I actually love The Harpy more.  Thirdly, some of my vinyl is scratched to buggeration and unplayable, even if I did have the equipment - 'Animals' amongst them :)  For the record, it's my favorite Floyd album too.

I'll keep your advice at heart for the time being and await more responses - see if there's a concensus.

CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 15:16
I'm only an audiophile in training. But I have nearly the whole catalogue of 1994 masters and they sound pretty good. The tracks are well represented and they aren't overly compressed or too loud. Plus they're the easiest to find.

I suppose the right stereo would make a difference.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 15:22
I do have a pretty cool listening station but it's CD/DVD only.  200 watts, 5.1 where available, very sweet reproduction (not as good as my Hi-Fi was though).

Thanks for your feedback CloseToTheMoon

Ok, so thats one for EMI Toshiba and one for the 1994 remasters.  Keep 'em coming :)

Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 15:23
Blimey! I had no idea there were soooooooo many editions. 
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 21:21
Originally posted by Makntak Makntak wrote:

Ah yes, replacing the vinyl is a sore point. 

The main sore point for me at 60 is ... the weight! And I don't have a house for these things ... and it is sad if I have to move or whatever ... and the records go back to the box and back out sometime later if I'm lucky or whatever.

The price one pays for art!  Heavyness!

I have been swapping for CD's for 5 years now and have dropped the number on my LP's to around 1500 now instead of the original 2500 or so.

But some art work, you 're never gonna get me to let go!

I am not that gungho on many of the PF remasters since I already had the English pressing for most of the stuff ... and they always sounded better than the cheapie American versions. The best example of this was Dark Side of the Moon.

Edited by moshkito - October 04 2010 at 21:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 21:45
I did not replace my vinyl, just bought a new medium to listen to. So in addition to my vinyl.....Smile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 03:23

Ah yes, replacing the vinyl is a sore point.  There are a number of reasons I need to do this, primary amongst them is the fact that I had my Hi-Fi stolen along with my turntable so I can't actually play them.  This was ten years ago and I've never been in a financial position to replace it all since (!).  Secondly, and also importantly comes the need for general sanity: Lady Makntak ( or er indoors, as she is sometimes referred to) is constantly moaning about how much space my albums take.  Something has to give and, much as I love my vinyl, I actually love The Harpy more.  Thirdly, some of my vinyl is scratched to buggeration and unplayable, even if I did have the equipment - 'Animals' amongst them :)  For the record, it's my favorite Floyd album too.

I'll keep your advice at heart for the time being and await more responses - see if there's a concensus.

I've been spending a lot of time converting vinyl to digital recently - my old hi-fi was knackered, so I couldn't play much vinyl. The conversion process has been kind of fun.

However, I do need to say one thing. 'Er indoors. She needs training, man, she needs trainingLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 03:52
Quote However, I do need to say one thing. 'Er indoors. She needs training, man, she needs training

LOL

What can I tell you?  I married a philistine.

Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 05:52
Bump

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 06:23
If my Mrs said its me or the Vinyl  it would be bye bye dear ..      
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 03:09
It seems from my own research that there only 4 remasters of Animals

The Harvest/EMI Remaster
Peak Levels - 48.3 / 82.7 / 64.8 / 75.7 / 32.4
(This is the European Remaster)

The Doug Sax Remaster
Peak levels - 53.8 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 56.7
(This only appeared in the Shine On Box Set but is subsequently used in the Toshiba EMI mini -LP and all Us releases post 2000)

The CBS/Sony Remaster
Peak Levels - 60.2 / 80.4 / 71.4 / 74.6 / 41.9
(This appeared on the original Japanese releases and nearly all US [Columbia] Releases up to 2000)

Sony Remaster 1A
Peak Levels - 58.8 / 78.5 / 69.8 / 72.9 / 40.9
This appears on a couple of US releases in the late '90s

Edited by Makntak - October 09 2010 at 03:10

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 03:03
I listen to my Japanese remaster. From memory I do not recommend getting rid of the vinyl... The CD is fine  - it was not exactly the greatest production ever but I thought the vinyl sounded terrific. But I cannot do a comparison.

I don't know if it means much but UK PF remasters / reissues have expanded CD art work.

What you could do is borrow someone's LP collection and when 'er indoors darkens the music room, cellar, whatever, be seen to be shipping them (back) out telling her tearfully "it's (the sacrifice) is all for you." She might relent on the rest.

Gawd - marriage. Official or unofficial... why do woe-men, oops I mean, women never understand priorities..?
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 09:25
LoL  - great idea uduwudu!  And 'woe-men'!  Why have I never seen that in my 46 years?!  Now it's there in front of my eyes it's so obvious.  I just use "F***in' Harpy!" or "Gorgon!" when I am harangued with her warped sense of what is important or, worse, "what might happen" if such and such is or is not done.  When will they learn, lounging around listening to music and the occasional blow-job is all we ask?

I'm not too worried about extra artwork as it happens.  This is one area where CDs simply cannot compete with vinyl.  I do like the research material/notes that comes with a lot of Anniversary editions /Reissues, revealing information that we were never privy to at the time.

I think I'm going to try the 1992 Doug Sax version which means I need to get a recentish US release or fork out $45 (£30) for the Japanese mini-LP.  EBay to the rescue methinks :)

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 14:41
Dunno, but my CD is on Harvest and it sounds fine. Bought it in 1991, I think. My vinyl copy sounded great, but my turntable is knackered, so I've not heard that in years.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
grandegi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 05:55

I'm in the process of gradually replacing all of my vinyl with CDs and I've been looking at the various versions of 'Animals' that have been released since 1977.

What's the rumpus? From these versions, which do people think is the best remaster?

• 1985 - CBS/Sony Group / 32DP 360 / Japanese First Pressing
  • 1990 - CBS/Sony Group / CSCS 6042 / Japanese Pressing
  • 2001 - Toshiba/EMI / TOCP-65741 / Japan Mini-LP Remaster

I fancy the James Guthrie or Doug Sax remasters may be the ones to think about, but I've heard some great Japanese miniCD remasters of the Yes catalogue so I don't want to write them off either.  Actually, outside of the original pressing I have no idea, which is why I ask Tongue
Hello there,
as far as I know the following ones:
despite what's stated on the booklet, contain the same mastering: the original EU mastering that is very close to the vinyl (the vinyl actually sounds slightly brigher). 

This one:
should be the Doug Sax remaster instead. Another source of the Doug Sax remaster is the currently available version in US: the Capitol reissue CPD 7243 8 29748 2 6.

The Doug Sax remaster sounds definitely brighter and clearer and so it's very different from the original vinyl. Many people consider it to be the best available mastering, but personally I like the original vinyl mastering and so my preference goes to the EU CD (although it sounds slightly darker).

Don't have the japanese versions so I can't say anything about them.

I can send you some frequency plots (UK vinyl vs EU CD vs US CD) if you're interested.

All the best
G.

grandegi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 07:24

It seems from my own research that there only 4 remasters of Animals

The Harvest/EMI Remaster
Peak Levels - 48.3 / 82.7 / 64.8 / 75.7 / 32.4
(This is the European Remaster)

Afaik this is used in:

The Doug Sax Remaster
Peak levels - 53.8 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 56.7
(This only appeared in the Shine On Box Set but is subsequently used in the Toshiba EMI mini -LP and all Us releases post 2000)
This is used, as you wrote, in the Shine On boxset and the currently available (in US) Capitol CDP 7243 8 29748 2 6 

Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 20:34
Thanks granddegi.  I got the Shine On version in the end.  I'm still to hear the EU version to make comparison but I'm very happy with the Doug sax Remaster :)

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 23:08
The Les Claypool Frog Brigade version.

Ha
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>