Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 06:59
I think this poll was done before LOL
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 10:29
consonants espessialy if you studdie phonetics (fanatics), much easyer to point out and not so defuse, vowels coan go were the pepper grows, hate them alophones, phonemes, crapp, im gonna retake my Phonetics in  English class in spring and im not looking forward to it
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 10:47
'm rthr fnd f cnsnnts. LOL

You know what's wrong?  The words vowel and consonant have both have vowels and consonants.  I hereby rename them oe and cnsnnt.  Of course you won't be allowed to pluralize the former.

Maybe vowels are actually better because apparently you can buy one of them.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 05 2010 at 10:48
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 19:31
Nathan's got this covered (with a little help from Devy's pals):

(Warning: some NSFW language)

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 21:23
Y

Time always wins.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 21:29
Consonants by far. So many to choose from.

And don't give me this quality over quanity bs. Limited quality in vowels easy.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 23:13
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Damn, I didn't care but you're passionate defense of consonants has swayed me.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 13:27
Once, I wrote a song which lyrics were only made of consonants.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 17:21
Originally posted by slatibartfast slatibartfast wrote:

'm rthr fnd f cnsnnts. 

You know what's wrong?  The words vowel and consonant have both have vowels and consonants.  I hereby rename them oe and cnsnnt.  Of course you won't be allowed to pluralize the former. 

You may have discovered a significant linguistic paradoxLOL

It's also interesting how vowels are considered as something of value - or at least, something more valuable than consonants. I suppose the idea is that vowels are more likely to reveal the word. It makes sense because vowels have longer duration than consonants, they are the center (functional part) of syllabic structures and they rank higher on the sonority scale. They have more 'sound'.

That's also why they get my support in this 'contest.

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

consonants espessialy if you studdie phonetics (fanatics), much easyer to point out and not so defuse, vowels coan go were the pepper grows, hate them alophones, phonemes, crapp, im gonna retake my Phonetics in  English class in spring and im not looking forward to it
You should. But if you think a preference for consonants is necessary in order to study phonetics, it's probably not something for you. There is no difference in complexity in the descriptive frames and methods for descriptions of vowels and consonants. Vowels' inherent status is not diffuse. 

Originally posted by Man with Hat Man with Hat wrote:

Your choice is limited anyway - you don't 'choose' the letters prior to the word. The phonetic content of the word has usually, and generally, no influence in the 'decision-making' process.. ..'Quality' and 'quantity' - in phonetics - are not engaged in competition.

Edited by Paravion - October 06 2010 at 18:12
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 22:20
As proved by the stupid text-message language, you can comunicate only using consonants. I don't believe you can with just vowels. 

Though some people seem to talk with their bowels... 
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 22:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

'm rthr fnd f cnsnnts. LOL

You know what's wrong?  The words vowel and consonant have both have vowels and consonants.  I hereby rename them oe and cnsnnt.  Of course you won't be allowed to pluralize the former.

Of course you can pluralize it!  Just add an i (ex: octopi).  A collection of oei.  I like the sound of that.  Similar to the bellow of a Howler Monkey, actually. 

As for my personal choice...consonants.  They are the workhorses of language, sculpting themselves around their more-fortunate, emotive cousins.  I often appreciate the setting more than the gemstone, and vernacular is no exception. 

Edited by Lozlan - October 06 2010 at 22:29
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 06:22
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

As proved by the stupid text-message language, you can comunicate only using consonants. I don't believe you can with just vowels. 

Though some people seem to talk with their bowels... '

You can communicate without using either, as is the case with morse codes, sign language and various other forms of non-verbal communication. It's not a valid conclusion that consonants bear a higher degree of communicative ability than vowels. 

Vowels and consonants are sounds - and I direct attention to their physiological and functional attributes. Written language doesn't concern phoneticians. 

Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Of course you can pluralize it!  Just add an i (ex: octopi).  A collection of oei.  I like the sound of that.  Similar to the bellow of a Howler Monkey, actually.  

As for my personal choice...consonants.  They are the workhorses of language, sculpting themselves around their more-fortunate, emotive cousins.  I often appreciate the setting more than the gemstone, and vernacular is no exception.

Very poetic description.
But I must admit that terms like "the workhorses of language" "fortunate" "emotive cousins" "setting" and "gemstone" really doesn't work as describing terms to someone trained in phonetics and linguistics. What do you mean? 

By "workhorses of language" I suppose you refer to the consonants' 'role' in syllabic structures in which they are 'build' around the vowel which is the central syllabic component of such structures.
But from there to reach a conception of consonants as "setting" and vowles as "gemstone" is actually not plausible in any way. 

But I quite like the description anyway, I had had the same 'literary' approach and  tendency when I began studying linguistics, but my teachers kept telling not to write in this style and to be more boring and dry. 

Thankfully, we can't all be phoneticians. They are really cut-off from the outside world. What is a phone?LOL

Edited by Paravion - October 07 2010 at 07:00
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Though some people seem to talk with their bowels... '

You can communicate without using either, as is the case with morse codes, sign language and various other forms of non-verbal communication. It's not a valid conclusion that consonants bear a higher degree of communicative ability than vowels. 

Vowels and consonants are sounds - and I direct attention to their physiological and functional attributes. Written language doesn't concern phoneticians. 

This is not about phoneticians. This is about the real world (my reply at least). If you have checked, people are gradually writing simpler and simpler especially in quick communication settings like in text messages, and in most cases only consonants are used. We're not talking about morse code or sign language, we're talking about words, and you can build semi-coherent ones using consonants, but it gets difficult with vowels. 

I guess we're talking about different things. Of course if written language is not your concern, what I said doesn't apply.  
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 11:43
^
I see. 
But you wrote "As proved by the stupid text-message language, you can comunicate only using consonants."

Outside of any linguistic/phonetic context, I doubt that your observations have the ability to actually prove a general statement like that.

Nevertheless it's interesting. I have never noticed that there is a particular consonant bias in shortened text-message language use, but there may be something about it.  Can u provide examples?  

Edited by Paravion - October 07 2010 at 11:44
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:00
I would have to resort to personal experience. I abhor the use of this system if we can call it that way, I still write full damn words even if it takes me much longer. But most people I contact with write with this overly simplified txt message style and consonants rule. Pls (please), thnks (thanks), txt, etc etc. Of course, acronyms or abbreviations (how would they be called? remember english is not my first language) are also part of this form of communication and then vowels come to help like in the hated-by-me LOL or LMAO or all of that...  
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:30
In text messages you are are not free to use as many characters as you want. So from an 'economic' point of view it makes a lot of sense to shorten the words. That words in most cases are abbreviated by just writing the consonants is probably because they orthographically are more helpful as means to identify the word. Pls is easier to identify than eae in writing. 

I don't understand how it is 'stupid' or something that is a bad thing.  

Edited by Paravion - October 07 2010 at 12:35
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:32
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

In text messages you are are not free to use as many characters as you want. So from an 'economic' point of view it makes a lot of sense to shorten the words. That words in most cases are abbreviated by just writing the consonants is probably because they orthographically are more helpful as means to identify the word. Pls is easier to identify than eae. 

I don't understand how it is 'stupid' or something that is a bad thing.  

I'm pretty sure that was the original point he was making.

Introducing: The Paravion Method: Argue with someone about something they've said then, later, say the same thing back to them as if it were your own idea.

Edited by thellama73 - October 07 2010 at 12:41
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:45
^Perhaps. I read some point about text-message language being 'stupid' and that it also served as a general proof of a fact that consonants inherently have a higher degree of communicative ability. 

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Introducing: The Paravion Method: Argue with someone about something they've said then, later, say the same thing back to them as if it were your own idea.
LOL I know that I'm confused, ultimately don't hold any beliefs and am easy to manipulate and persuade.    

Edited by Paravion - October 07 2010 at 12:49
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:51
LOL

TheLlama understanding my words and even defending them? Shocked But it's true. That's exactly what I said. "Thnks" looks like thanks, but "a" doesn't... LOL

Edited by The T - October 07 2010 at 12:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>