FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg's perception in different countries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog's perception in different countries
    Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:00

I've been thinking about this for quite some time...is prog at all present in your daily life? (not including listening to the music)

For example, where you live, are people sporting prog shirts? Or is there a public awareness of prog such as in the radio, TV, and the like? Have you engaged in conversations about prog in actual life? (PA doesn't really count LOL)

I've always thought, and I could be very well wrong Confused, that in the UK (being, arguably, the birthplace of prog), a fair amount of people are wearing prog shirts, listening to prog in pubs, and stuff like that? Is this true? Does it happen frequently?

I'd like to get everyone's opinion, explaining whether there is a significant presence of prog in your life or not...that'd be great. Thumbs Up
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:36
I've never met another prog fan or talked about prog with anyone IRL. The closest I've come to that is seeing people where DSOTM t shirts.

Edited by A Person - October 07 2010 at 12:36
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:37
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I've never met another prog fan or talked about prog with anyone IRL. The closest I've come to that is seeing people where DSOTM t shirts.

Really?? That sucks Shocked

You think the area which you live might have anything to do with it? I don't think MIchigan is known for their prog fans LOL

I have a few friends that are really into prog, and my girlfriend as well, so it's not too lonely here
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:44
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Really?? That sucks Shocked

You think the area which you live might have anything to do with it? I don't think MIchigan is known for their prog fans LOL

I have a few friends that are really into prog, and my girlfriend as well, so it's not too lonely here

I live in a town of 500 people, I am pretty sure that doesn't help. LOL
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:45
I teach music for a living. One day I was having a discussion with another piano teacher about how long classical concerts are hard tp sit through, and how the music wasn't originally intended to be played in such a marathon fashion. I mentioned that I didn't really have a problem with it, because of all the twenty minute prog songs I listen to. She had never heard of prog and was quite shocked at the notion of a twenty minute rock song. It just goes to show you that prog can be foreign to even musically educated people.
Madhouse255 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:50
It's definitely not as well- received in America nowadays. I have only four other people here that share the same taste in music I do. Disapprove
Everything is trying to wake you up to show you that you never left home in the first place.
Shevrzl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 13:05
Check out my location, prog is practically nonexistent here!Unhappy Apart from the guy in college who introduced me to prog, I don't know anyone else who's into prog. 
Aunty Ethel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 13:20
We have a small group of people here in South Africa.  Unfortunately we have bands who label themselves as prog, but sound absolutely nothing like it.  Prog to people here is stuff like Muse.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 13:49
There are more prog fans about than is realised. I often have discussions at work and the pub about this great genre. It is only the rare idiot who dismisses it as a load of old crap and dinosaur music, without, of course, seeing the irony of still supporting aging punk rockers!

Whilst in the UK, the popular press bigs up crap such as X Factor, it is surprising just how many people realise and see it for the manufactured cobblers it is, and turn to what we would call decent music, be it prog or other forms.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 14:02
I do tend to meet other prog fans casually, but I really don't have any close friends and/or acquaintances that are die-hard fans.  This can get a little frustrating...I can feel like I'm listening to music in a tiny, cramped bubble.  I love to talk about the things that I love, you know?  I figure this has something to do with how much I post here. 

However, there does seem to be a fair amount of prog appreciation in Bloomington, IN.  My last auspicious job was at Subway (in my defense, I'm supporting my fiancee's grad career, but it was a bit disheartening).  It only took me a month or so to figure out how to plug my iPod into the overhead speakers, and since I was always closing by myself, I'd just put on 8 solid hours of prog.  Obviously I had to steer away from the heavier stuff (no VdGG, sadly!), but I would often put on fairly experimental music.  Gentle Giant sounds great over a storewide sound system. 

Anyhow, because of this I got involved in a lot of music related conversations with my customers.  There was one gentleman in particular, a thirtysomething who teaches classical conducting at the university here.  He was an absolutely rabid prog fan, and last I heard was putting a band together.  However, we never mingled beyond our sandwich artist/customer relationship. 

The best thing that ever happened was when a younger guy came in wearing a Magma t-shirt.  He was SO HAPPY that I knew the band.  Apparently he'd owned the shirt for 3+ years, and only one other person had ever recognized the logo.  I think I ended up giving him a free sandwich since he was so groovy. 
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 14:10
When I travel to the motherland-Honduras C.A.-I don't hear or see the word prog. There is a lot of just plain old rock or metal...and the groups we call prog will fall under one of these. Now Honduras is a pimple on the worlds music a$$.....but there are some rabid fans there.
When Iron Maiden played Costa Rica on the SBIT tour....all my cousins and a bunch of friends piled into cars and planes and went to the show.
Most of them though will fly to Miami and see concerts but very little prog.....

The last 10 yrs doing a lot of international travel, I see that the world is a "pop music" world....
Pharaut View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 14:22
I think the term "Prog" is not used with the same cache as when the genre was in its heyday (late sixties to mid-seventies--I know, don't say it...). Still, that doesn't diminish the sense that there are still bands around who are happy to explore the boundaries of music and performance, thus encouraging fans that Mystery and Imagination are alive and kicking. Although bands like the Ozric Tentacles, Royksop, and Air, and artists including Bjork, Johann Johannsson, and others are not household names by any stretch, the simple fact is Prog music was never an above-ground concept. Instead, these groups and musicians thrive underground, where the seeds of creativity could germinate and flourish....

Being a troglodyte does have its rewards.

Edited by Pharaut - October 07 2010 at 14:24
When the going gets weird, I get interested....
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 14:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

There are more prog fans about than is realised. I often have discussions at work and the pub about this great genre. It is only the rare idiot who dismisses it as a load of old crap and dinosaur music, without, of course, seeing the irony of still supporting aging punk rockers!

Talking about prog at work and the pub, what could be better?! LOLBig smile

Where do you work? Shocked

I think it's rather sad that people just listen to whatever crap is on the Billboard Top 40 for example...the songs are just like toilet paper; people just listen to them for a day and look for the next "in" thing.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 15:24
I think prog is more widely appreciated than you can tell by people who wear t-shirts, hats, and sport bumper stickers on their vehicles like me.  Still we are a small yet fiercely devoted bunch.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 15:51
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Talking about prog at work and the pub, what could be better?! LOLBig smile

Where do you work? Shocked

I think it's rather sad that people just listen to whatever crap is on the Billboard Top 40 for example...the songs are just like toilet paper; people just listen to them for a day and look for the next "in" thing.

Many people think that what is popular is good and what the media shows them is the best.

I've met 2 people who likes prog.

Me and my nearest family made dinner for some guests. After dinner a 50+ year old guy put on A passion play by Jetro Tull! We heard side one of the album. The old guy and I were the only one who liked it. He told me I was lucky to like bands like King Crimson, Yes, Peter Gabriel Genesis era, Jethro Tull and Soft Machine.

The second time was when me and my family and summer guests went to a concert. I was wearing a Yes T-shirt and Peter (he is also 50+ years old) one of our summer guests (he visits us every summer) told me he loves Yes and often listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans which is his favorite Yes album. I have known him for some years but never thought he might like Prog! Good thing I was wearing a Yes T-shirt. We have talked a lot about prog since Smile
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 16:22
Prog never comes up in daily life in NZ but apparently NZ does like prog music as it seels disproportionately well here. However it's all international prog, we have to little to no significant prog scene of our own.

Tool is headlining the next Big Day Out, which is our biggest music festival.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 16:25
In a small, godforsaken corner of the world, which happens to be my country, I actually do have some prog around me. Not plenty, but it is here.

1. You may occasionally see people wearing prog rock/metal/related T-shirts,
2. there's small but existent prog scene (mostly prog metal and avant, some math),
3. I see people more and more talking about old bands (and new prog bands),
4. there are only 2-3 pubs I'm going into, but there could be some surprisingly good (and obscure!) prog playlists,
5. jazz scene is bigger than ever and it started slowly, shyly to dig into forgotten jazz fusion
6. electronica DJ's who were into rave, trance and stuff are more and more going retro...
7. A few days ago I complained to my boss about the radio, and he told me he has some music on his hard drive. He dug the old speakers and...to my surprise he played Crimson's 'Islands!' Further lurking on his folder revealed Magma's MDK. (!)

I said, my smallish town (200 000) nurtures avant and prog metal, while the capital, Zagreb, is more oriented towards electronic, post, psych/space and krautrock. Yesterday, a good friend of mine (we played in a prog folk band 10 years ago, and now we're recording an album together) played with krautrock veteran Roedelius from Harmonia and Cluster, a few years ago he toured with Damo Suzuki.

I am myself currently involved into five musical projects, at least two can be considered prog:

1.) doing an electronic album with aforementioned guy
2.) play in indie band which recorded its debut in Blixa Bargeld's studio in Berlin
3.) preparing an eclectic trio with my old band-mates
4.) doing absolutely sick, bizarre music with some friends of mine
5.) doing solo stuff.

I guess I have nothing to complain about.

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 16:28
Sad but true: Whenever I see someone wearing a prog shirt I'm so desperate in my loneliness and excited that I consider striking up a conversation, but I never do.
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 16:55
I have met an enormous amount of people who know and even enjoy prog, however most know of it as either a curiosity that they havnt spent much time on beyond a couple (usually obscure rather than famous) bands that have played with bands in their genre of choice (usually indie or metal) or else they see it as a subset of another genre. The metal scene is verry aware of prog and the term prog, even though oftern they dont look into it that much, also indie hipsters tend to know prog as they often dig up "forgotton" or obscure music as a way to gain hipster cred, sometimes they find that they love it, other times it becomes a joke to them.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 16:58
I mainly listen to prog, the furthest I stray is Rainbow/ Dio, Hendrix, and Zeppelin and even them ahve some progressive themes. Besides my father, I've only ever met one person that's into Prog. And real prog, Yes, KC, Pink Floyd, ahh I love her taste in music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>