Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust discovered Greenslade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just discovered Greenslade
    Posted: October 10 2010 at 11:08
Wow...how did I miss the boat on these guys. Last night as a fluke I was looking at Roger Dean artwork and happened upon them. I just downloaded the first four albums - all marvelous. Reminds me a bit of ELP, meets Yes with a little bit of Steely Dan and Supertramp thrown in for good measure. Currently listening to "Siam Seesaw" & "Little Red Fry Up". LOL

I'll be enjoying today for sure! Does anyone else here like Greenslade?

Edited by Knife - October 10 2010 at 11:19
"Stand up and fight, for you know we are right. We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds." - The Knife
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 11:32
Wonderful, underrated band. Here's a great live video of them:
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 15:46
I'm a very recent enthusiast.  I looked into them a couple of years back, when I was a little less symphonically minded, and they didn't do much for me.  However, I re-discovered them about three months back, and have been listening to the S/T and Bedside Manners Are Extra pretty regularly.  I love keyboard-driven prog sans any of that pesky guitar, and these guys are definitely one of the kings of the format.

Now I just need to get around to investigating Colosseum...

Edited by Lozlan - October 10 2010 at 15:46
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 03:58
A rather unjustly neglected band who were often dismissed along with Argent and Barclay James Harvest (and somewhat snottily to boot) as '2nd Division Prog' by the Yes, ELP and Genesis fraternity Ouch The twin keyboards of Lawson and D. Greenslade gave them a unique approach that has seldom been replicated in the genre before or since. Lawson's voice may perhaps polarize opinion as it can be alternately screechy, warm, whiny and just plain vanilla irritating for some?
The first two albums are uniformly excellent I think, but thereafter they do get a bit 'patchy'
(see Spyglass Guest for a group starting to creak and waver)

Sunkissed You're Not is probably my favourite track of theirs.

Norman Kiddie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 11:03
SmileTime and Tide is an amazing album, from Animal Farm to Catalan. I have always regarded Greenslade  as not being easy listening but music that grows in stature every listen. I have them all and am proud of them. They were (are) one of the best of all time.  
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 08:22
Back in 1990, I drove 2 hours in a snow storm to pick up 4 Greenslade cd's. To my knowledge, they were Japanese imports and were the only versions of Greenslade cd's available. You would think there would be other priorities in my life but......no, I had to buy the first 4 Greenslade titles.Ermm  I became interested in "The Pentateuch Of the Cosmogony" and recited it in the studio a few times. Always fired up though. I completely hated Dave Lawson's vocals but, loved Greenslade to death. There is a live 75' show on cd and it's just amazing. David Greenslade and Rod Argent's playing are quite a like. Just an observation from being jaded. "Time and Tide" is worth the instrumentals alone. Although I have trouble with Lawson's vocals, better things come to mind. I like Lawson's vocals on "Doldrums" and "Little Red Fry Up". Don't forget to investigate David Greenslade's solo efforts.  
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 04:16
Check out Colosseum...I love it! Smile

Valentyne Suite part 1

Valentyne Suite part 2

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 12:26
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

A rather unjustly neglected band who were often dismissed along with Argent and Barclay James Harvest (and somewhat snottily to boot) as '2nd Division Prog' by the Yes, ELP and Genesis fraternity Ouch The twin keyboards of Lawson and D. Greenslade gave them a unique approach that has seldom been replicated in the genre before or since. Lawson's voice may perhaps polarize opinion as it can be alternately screechy, warm, whiny and just plain vanilla irritating for some?
The first two albums are uniformly excellent I think, but thereafter they do get a bit 'patchy'

I like "Spyglass Guest" a lot, and I don't think there is anything patchy about it.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 19:17
Hi,

Bedside Manners are Extra
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 19:25
love them, full of soul and humor, and may give you a taste for similar acts like Morgan and Web's I Spider with Dave Lawson
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 20:27
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I like "Spyglass Guest" a lot, and I don't think there is anything patchy about it.

For me the album lacks the energy of the first two and Theme For an Imaginary Western has been covered much better (even by Colosseum ironically)  - Rainbow strikes me as a sophorific hippy nursery rhyme.

More importantly, we both (or all three?) appear to actually like the band so let's cash in our chips now. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply