FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolaris / Devil Doll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solaris / Devil Doll
    Posted: May 05 2004 at 19:51

Hey all you Prog - Rockers. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the Hungarian band Solaris   and if you are would they be considered Prog - Rock?

Same question about the Slovinian band Devil Doll   I doubt they're Prog - Rock but are they?

Ciao

<i>Sports cars</i>, helping ugly men get sex since 1954.
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 22:40

Hi there Semismart:

I own one single album by Solaris (The Martian Chronicles) and I’d say it is prog, or rather neo-prog early 80’s style. Apart from the usual rock arsenal, the band uses a lot of digital synths to good effect - think cyber-rock with a classical approach; not as deep as After Crying and less pompous than Bjorn Lynn.

The rythms are basically simple, mostly up-tempo and obviously designed to accelerate your pulse rate. The melodies are easily memorable and the band seems to favour an overall effect over individual instrumental virtuosity (no spectacular solos, if you know what I mean). It’s good clean fun and sometimes even exhilirating, as the digital part enhances their sound rather than simply numb your senses. If you're into Dream Theater, Anglagard or Porcupine Tree, they'll likely bore you to death. If you don't mind a little fluff once in a while, however, you just may like them.

Hope this helps a bit .  As for Devil Doll, I’m afraid you’re on your own...

Cheerio

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2004 at 00:25

Hi! I love Solaris. In my cd collection:  "Martian Chronicles", "1990" and "Nostradamus" (this one is a jewel). And I bought recently the Kollar Attila solo album "Musical Witchcraft", nice but not so good like the whole band.

Devil Doll is very strange, but prog at all! It's a mixture of gloomy, gothic, heavy and  symphonic music. When I want to scare myself, I listen to the only album I have, "The Sacrilege Of Fatal Arms", in a dark night ... Brrrrrrrr!

semismart View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2004 at 01:33
Originally posted by Marcelo Marcelo wrote:

Devil Doll is very strange, but prog at all! It's a mixture of gloomy, gothic, heavy and  symphonic music. When I want to scare myself, I listen to the only album I have, "The Sacrilege Of Fatal Arms", in a dark night ... Brrrrrrrr!

Is that the album that's one 72 minute song? I've got Dies Irae and it's something else. It's like Dr Demento meets Therion  I think I'm getting to like it though.

I didn't understand if you meant it was strange Prog or not Prog at all?

progchain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2004 at 07:30

DEVIL DOLL IS THE "LEFT HAND" OF  PROG!!!

I personally know the keyboard player of this band and I think they're the craziest prog-band in the whole world (And maybe of Space...

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2004 at 17:20
Originally posted by semismart semismart wrote:

Is that the album that's one 72 minute song? I've got Dies Irae and it's something else. It's like Dr Demento meets Therion  I think I'm getting to like it though.

Yes, just one 72 minutes song, but what a song! It's a very strange (and beautiful) thing, but definitively prog (sorry about the term "at all", my English isn't the best).

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2004 at 17:22
Originally posted by progchain progchain wrote:

I personally know the keyboard player of this band and I think they're the craziest prog-band in the whole world (And maybe of Space...

If you want to know a band even more crazy (and in the same vein that Devil Doll), check out "Sopor Aeternus".  

semismart View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2004 at 20:02

Originally posted by semismart semismart wrote:

Yes, just one 72 minutes song, but what a song! It's a very strange (and beautiful) thing, but definitively prog (sorry about the term "at all", my English isn't the best).

Hi Marcello, Like I said, I was starting to dig Devil Doll so I ordered every one I could get including the one you have The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms 

I just got my order in and what's on the back of The Sacrilege but a warning: this music can alter your mental health 

These guy are weird!   

Edited by semismart
Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2004 at 12:43
My mental health was already altered
progchain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2004 at 13:49

My mental health was already altered

Yes, you also listen to "Le Stelle di Mario Schifano...

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2004 at 14:03

"Yes, you also listen to "Le Stelle di Mario Schifano... "

"Le Stelle..." made me a TOTAL insane!

Quon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2004 at 22:05

As to Devil Doll, well................I have "Sacreligium" and love it. It is like listening to prog meets the old Hammer Horror movies of the 60's/70's (with a splash of Dario Argento). They seem to have the right combination of humor and seriousness to pull the whole thing off...........which is admittedly quite difficult, just look at all those other doomy bands with the Cookie Monster on vocals. Anyway, Devil doll are a great band if you can handle their style, if not go find another Yes album.

peace,

Quon

semismart View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 00:07
Originally posted by Quon Quon wrote:

As to Devil Doll, well................I have "Sacreligium" and love it. It is like listening to prog meets the old Hammer Horror movies of the 60's/70's (with a splash of Dario Argento). They seem to have the right combination of humor and seriousness to pull the whole thing off...........which is admittedly quite difficult, just look at all those other doomy bands with the Cookie Monster on vocals. Anyway, Devil doll are a great band if you can handle their style, if not go find another Yes album.

peace,

Quon

Good point, They do have just enough seriousness not to be cosidered a joke.   It's a great mix of absurd with mostly Symphonic but many other styles. One of the albums I got even has some Tango in it. 

semismart View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2004 at 18:06

Hi! I love Solaris. In my cd collection:  "Martian Chronicles", "1990" and "Nostradamus" (this one is a jewel). And I bought recently the Kollar Attila solo album "Musical Witchcraft", nice but not so good like the whole band.

Hi Marcelo, I recently came across a sole called solo effort by a deceased member entitled Seven Gates Of Alhambra. It's not the one you mentioned is it? 

Ciao

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2004 at 12:16
Nop, Semi. Kollar Attila has parts I and II of "Musical Witchcraft"... I didn't know about deceases  
richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:59

Originally posted by progchain progchain wrote:

If you want to know a band even more crazy (and in the same vein that Devil Doll), check out "Sopor Aeternus".  

you have any links to legal downloads so i can sample them? DD are my favourite band, so i'm always looking for similar stuff :)
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 14:10
I got Devil Doll's Dies Irae last week and love it.  I definitely needed a change of pace and Devil Doll delivered in spades.  I definitely consider this prog of the symphonic,horror soundtrack, theatrical variety.  The Doctor is a trip.  I like the operatic vocals.  Pretty original stuff and I will be getting more.  He reminds me of King Diamond just a little, but of course much better, and the music is much better. 
BigHairyMonster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 14:26
Although they sound drastically different from the Devil Doll that I have heard, Comus would probably fit into the same mold...especially their first album First Utterance.  It is all acoustic, dark prog/folk and quite spooky.  As far as an MP3 for Devil Doll, their is one on this site.

Big Hairy Monster's debut CD
"View" coming soon!
www.bighairymonster.com
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 14:37
Devil Doll I find painfully cheesey and riddled with "scary music" cliches. 

Solaris' Martian Chronicles is patchy IMO but the title suite especially has some gorgeous melodies.
richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 15:41
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Devil Doll I find painfully cheesey and riddled with "scary music" cliches. 

try giving it a few more spins, really
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>