FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Scottish prog label launching soon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Scottish prog label launching soon
    Posted: October 10 2010 at 14:40
Advance news - a new Scottish label (ACH Media) is due to launch early 2011 in Scotland with three new albums on the way. Firstly, a new Comedy of Errors album (provisional title "Disobey" - ready to go to mastering at this time), followed by a release from Grand Tour (Hew Montgomery - ex Abel Ganz - new project) and then the debut album by Machinary, a Rush/Purple influenced trio.
ACH Media website due on line before end of the year - more from

Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 19:50
Sounds great! Please keep us informed!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 21:06
Best of luck!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
hewmont View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 06:09
We're excited! Hoping to show that there is more in Scotland than just Pallas and Abel Ganz....the new ACH Media site will offer downloads and cd releases, and as well as the music there will be some interesting spoken word stuff too. It's all go for a January launch with the Comedy of Errors album first up - more soon...
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 06:18
Better note down the websites and mag(s) that you're going to send out promos to. The latter case of course being Classic Rock presents Prog, the former probably a good handful of well known places.

Best of luck indeed, you're entering a tough and competitive marketplace.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
hewmont View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 06:33
Good advice - thanks! You're right; it's tough out there - I'm staggered by the number of artists worldwide who are still active or resurfacing after years of inactivity. We're going to take it slowly and the Porsches are definitely not on order yet...everyone involved has been around the prog scene for a while however so we're hoping to create some interest. The music's not bad either...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 06:46
Reminds me of an old recurring SNL sketch with Mike Myers:  "If it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

By the way, my middle name is Scott and so's my wife's maiden name.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 12 2010 at 06:47
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

hewmont View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 07:00
Maybe not renowned as a hot bed of prog, but Scotland still has its fair share of talent...it's just that most of them have moved out!! It's the weather...

Personally, the biggest Scottish prog influence in my life has probably been the Gentle Giant lads (some of them originally from a sleepy wee town called Coatbridge in North Lanarkshire, I think?). And does anyone remember Beggar's Opera?

Hey, I'm showing my age....
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 07:04
Beggar's Opera are actually active again - have 3 albums from them in my "to be reviewed" stack. All of them released this year :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
hewmont View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 07:09
Wow! Now that IS interesting...I had no idea they were alive and kicking! "Get your dog off me" - great stuff...

I'm off for a rummage on the internet...look forward to the reviews.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 07:24
I'm waiting for McTarkus with keen anticipation.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 07:41

I do not envy you, Huw. I have run a record label, I have spent six weeks on a park bench in Dumbarton being homeless and I have been living on frozen pizza's from Farmfoods. Not even ten angry, charging giant haggises can make me start a record label again.

......... Although I still shop at Farmfoods. 

There is around four Prog Archives Collabs in your area so if you need reviews, you know where to find us.

Btw. if you know anything about Sunday, please let us know. I visited Missing in Argyle Street three hours ago to find out anything more. Hopefully, you know something more.   

......... And I also believe your label office is within 3 miles from the ProgArchives Inquisitions HQ. 

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - October 12 2010 at 08:03
hewmont View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 08:21
Man, if you survived six weeks on a park bench ANYWHERE (but especially Dumbarton...) you get the gold star...

Re Sunday - well, you came to the right man! Sunday was originally (I think) the resident band of the Watermill in Paisley. Line up was (again I think) Davie Pattison (vocals), Bert Downie (bass) and Jim Forrest (keyboards) - not sure who beat the drums. They seem to have disappeared in the early 70s, but evolved partly in Findo Gask, a country rock band (not related to the Findogask folkies who are still about I think). Don't have a clue what any of them are doing now, but could ask around?

Thanks for the info re the Prog Archive collaborators - good to have contacts locally!

Farmfoods? Hey it could be worse...

...actually, it probably couldn't...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 10:44

Huw. 

Feel free to set up a day (and some chairs and a kettle) sometimes in December where you and one or two bands from your label simply invites ProgArchives for a presentation of your label. I can bring my digi camera and a lot of questions. I need to get a recorder too for interviews. 

Then we make a feature for ProgArchive.

hewmont View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 10:48
Fantastic! It's a date - and if it's December we could probably find a mince pie or two....
Having a meeting re the label/band issues tonight - will update everyone.

More soon....
Beggarmanmartin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 02:10
Hello ....  Do you know which albums are being released?

All the best from Martin Griffiths ... singer Beggars Opera.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 03:01

Good question, Martin ?............ and how are you ?? Please feel free to update us on Beggars Opera too.

I have just sent Hew an email with your question. 

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 03:30
Hello Toroddfuglestag ....  Thanks for your interest. I'm still singing and also reciting Shakespeare (a new one for me) on a new album from my sons prog group Poor Genetic Material called Island Noises.
A musical about the love between Elizabeth Stuart and Frederick Palatine in Heidelberg 1613 is also nearly finished so I'm being kept out of mischief!

All the best to you and any Beggars fans reading this.

Martin.
hewmont View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 05:09
Hi all - delighted to hear that there's life in the Beggar's Opera front! I've got a real soft spot for the music, esp the "Get your Dog off Me" album. Look forward to hearing any new stuff too.

An update from ACH Media in Glasgow...news is that the label (ACH Media) and the website (ifandnotif.com) are coming along well - there's actually a lot going on with the label and the three main bands involved (Grand Tour, Comedy of Errors, and Machinary)....

The bad news is that there just aren't enough hours in the day! We could be doing this full time if it paid enough money...

Here's some specific news -

The Comedy of Errors album is now in the hands of Rob Aubrey who is well known for his work with a number of well known prog acts such as Big Big Train, Pendragon, Transatlantic, etc. Rob has been extremely helpful with his advice re the actual mix/production of the album, and we were delighted when he suggested that we let him do a complete remix on the whole album. This has delayed things a bit although an initial listen to a remixed track Rob did as an example for us was extremely promising. We're also actually rerecording some of the music for this - I'm delighted to be trying to put some bass down for one track too (I played bass years ago and have really enjoyed picking it up again after a gap of about 25 years!). A few weeks ago we had a live session in a local Glasgow studio with me on bass - we were pretty pleased with the results and hope to go on to finish a live set which we may well gig after that. The album artwork etc is now all finalised and it's just a case of waiting for the remix to be done.

Grand Tour is my project and again the album is completely written and demo'd - I did most of the initial recording at home where I have a small studio, although the druns were recorded by Bruce (Levick - drummer) at a Glasgow studio as well as in Bruce's garage studio! We now just need to remix everything properly, and I've been in discussion with a well known prog bass player whom I very much hope will be able to find time in his busy schedule to add the bass lines - more on that one as soon as I have news, although he's expressed a definite interest. The project is slightly on the back burner until the CoE stuff is done as three of the CoE guys are on the project too!

Machinary is drummer Bruce Levick's project and so far a work in progress. Bruce, his brother Doug on guitar and vocals, and Al Kerr on bass are busy writing and rehearsing material just now and there should be an album for release in the summer. Sound is influenced by early Rush and Purple, so it's a bit different from the other two bands. Demos have attracted considerable interest on MySpace, etc

I'm sorry there's been so little info before now - as I said, it's just about the lack of time! The enthusiasm is high though...the ifandnotif site is well under way and we're lucky enough to have a top notch web designer as one of our partners, so we're looking for a slick site. It just needs a lot of fine tuning...

I'll do my best to keep the news flowing and as soon as the ifandnotif.com site is live, I'll let everyone know.

Cheers meantime! Hew
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 06:39
Hi Hew .... Glad you remember the early 70's when were active and playing live at all those wonderful clubs and halls throughout Scotland. Yes I think Get your Dog off me is a good album even though I sang only on the first three Act One, Waters of Change and Pathfinder. There's "new" live album just released called Beggars Opera live at the Nautilus.
Recorded on a small tape machine its amazing that they managed to capture our live sound. You can check out this on YouTube Beggars Opera live.
At present I'm working with my son on his projects poorgeneticalmaterial.de and aliaseye.com and a musical about a Scots lassie  .. Elizabeth Stuart.
I liked your web site .... best of luck with the project.

Martin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>