Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich format do you prefer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Poll Question: Which format do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
47 [30.32%]
62 [40.00%]
8 [5.16%]
1 [0.65%]
22 [14.19%]
5 [3.23%]
1 [0.65%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.94%]
6 [3.87%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:53
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to go out and buy a black light (UV) bulb and prove that I wasn't imagining things, which I will concede is entirely a possibility...
And don't forget to spray the vinyl  first with luminol as well..............
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tomas_almeida View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 10:41
CD if I have the reproduction medium available, if I'm on the PC definitely FLAC.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 12:37
it would be MP3 player, but idk which one of those to choose from (at least i need to know what they are), so i chose the secondary medium which is the CD of course
Progrockdude
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 13:47
CD
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 14:40
CD is what I normally listen to and what I voted for. For stuff that was recorded before CDs and heavy compression I would prefer vinyl. Vinyl is problematic. The record player in car keeps skipping with the slightest bump. MP3 sucks. Not WAV either. I can't get used to listening to something for enjoyment on the computer. I archive a lot on iTunes, but I still won't listen to any of it unless I move it to CD.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 09:02
Hi-res 24-bit either DVD Audio or 1 bit SACD discs yet it's not there. I'd probably include blu ray audio but do not have this yet - it may be the best anyone will get before the neural upload standard (c. 2050)Wink

FLAC for downloads, APE and others such as shn are just as fine, mp3 320kbps for cheap uploads / conversions but not serious listening. I'd count WAV and CD as the same at 16 bit rate although a non remastered CD is probably as good as a record, sometimes worse. Last is vinyl (although. the digitally remastered recordings should sound fine - now; all the old stuff is subject to tape generation rather than common source digital conversions or new recordings. Way too inconsistent for pre 2000 recordings. Content is more likely to be more interesting and extensive on non LP releases.

What format would you honestly advise someone to spend their hard earned?

Edited by uduwudu - September 19 2014 at 17:54
randumbtune View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 02:06
Music streaming services ( online) or MP3.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 09:58
I guess I'll update.  I have most of my collection in FLAC which gets trancoded on the fly to MP3 when I stream it.  The rest is stuff I've bought from Amazon or the like which is probably 256 kbps MP3.  I doubt I'll ever buy vinyl.  Just not interested.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 12:14
Love the sound of Vinyl, so I'll go with that!
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 02:54
As I often listen to my music through headphones I wouldn't be too happy with vinyls for a number of reasons. I am a CD big fan right from the beginning. CDs are affordable, popular and accurate. Great medium. I do prefer paper case rather than plastic-y one, though
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:01
Vinyl, then CD.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 18:00
Had to vote for other. I've heard all types of music (except mainstream pop bootlegs) under every format (except blu ray audio). FLAC and other loss formats are great storage / torrent formats but we are still talking CD 16 bit quality. Still, plugins enable their playability.

Just wondering if 24 bit is the highest resolution does that mean 16 bit and vinyl options are actually lossy formats after all?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 20:13
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Had to vote for other. I've heard all types of music (except mainstream pop bootlegs) under every format (except blu ray audio). FLAC and other loss formats are great storage / torrent formats but we are still talking CD 16 bit quality. Still, plugins enable their playability.

Just wondering if 24 bit is the highest resolution does that mean 16 bit and vinyl options are actually lossy formats after all?

16bit, assuming you are talking about redbook standard 16/44, is not a lossy format, neither is vinyl. A lot of vinyl is pressed from 24/96 or 24/192 digital files. This is a big reason why you have people that say vinyl sounds better than CD....and please dear Lord do not go down that path as that is a personal choice. Wink

Then you have DSD files which require a DSD capable DAC..DSD128 for example has a sampling rate of 128x more than standard CD.
Studio recordings are usually 24bit and remasters/remix from original tapes are usually done to 24bit, but then are converted to 16bit so CDs can be pressed.

Do listening tests if you can to determine what you think of all these formats. I have done some listening to DSD128 files on a very high end revealing digital system and the sound was absolutely magnificent, problem is for the common man those systems are out of reach, financially. Other problem with these high-resolution files is there is not much being released that you or I listen to, and the files are not cheap either.

I have also listened to analog (vinyl) systems that are incredibly insane sounding, again the gear can be expensive.

But it is fun to hear what music can actually sound like...then I come home and listen to my stuff and hope one day to win the lottery LOL
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 22:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

16bit, assuming you are talking about redbook standard 16/44, is not a lossy format, neither is vinyl. A lot of vinyl is pressed from 24/96 or 24/192 digital files. This is a big reason why you have people that say vinyl sounds better than CD....and please dear Lord do not go down that path as that is a personal choice. Wink

Then you have DSD files which require a DSD capable DAC..DSD128 for example has a sampling rate of 128x more than standard CD.
Studio recordings are usually 24bit and remasters/remix from original tapes are usually done to 24bit, but then are converted to 16bit so CDs can be pressed.

Do listening tests if you can to determine what you think of all these formats. I have done some listening to DSD128 files on a very high end revealing digital system and the sound was absolutely magnificent, problem is for the common man those systems are out of reach, financially. Other problem with these high-resolution files is there is not much being released that you or I listen to, and the files are not cheap either.

I have also listened to analog (vinyl) systems that are incredibly insane sounding, again the gear can be expensive.

But it is fun to hear what music can actually sound like...then I come home and listen to my stuff and hope one day to win the lottery LOL

I do not have a high end system but's not too bad at least it's 21st Century (except for my temporarily defunct turntable).

The thing is that the idea one needs a hi end system to hear the difference is something of a misnomer. I hear the difference easily on my MOR system. I think a high end system will allow for an even greater appreciation of the audio quality available - you have too get some value for your high end dollars! But the difference is evident on working class hi fi as well. (I have an old universal playing Pioneer player) that does the necessary.

Yes everything 16 bit or remastered for CD / vinyl exists in 24 bit or 1 bit SACD but not necessarily available as such. The wars between the music companies playing monopoly (giving hi res a reputation for dead format) has not benefited anyone at all.

If everything was available as SACD / hybridor DVD A rather than red book this would have reduced the piracy problem (not eliminated it). But hi res is the best audio quality and we don't get that consumer choice (downloadsonly if we're lucky for those that have that equipment - a ridiculous situation). Amazing to think that we have to settle for lesser quality (16 bit) because of some CEO contest. (Sony v Philips / EMI). Hybrid is a fine standard for digital formats. The classical hi res I pick up is a delight to hear in this respect alone.

I'd be interested to compare the released formats of the same material e.g. Deep Purple Concerto for Group and Orchestra has a DVD, DVD Audio (I have a copy of both),the old vinyl and the new 3 LP vinyl. I assume it's on CD somewhere...? Anyway, comparing vinyl to vinyl could be interesting.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 05:32
All recorded formats are in a sense "lossy" in that some part of the audio spectrum is lost during the recording process. All EQ removes some part of the audio because that is what it is designed to do, RIAA pre-emphasis (equalisation) deliberately removes all high frequency components and all sub-sonics prior to transferring the music to vinyl - no amount of de-emphasis can replace that regardless of the price ticket on the equipment.

There are also losses associated with dynamic range and that is determined by the Signal-to-Noise ratio. Vinyl typically has a Signal-to-Noise of 50dB and that limits the dynamic range it can reproduce to 50dB. That figure is the equivalent of 8-bits in the digital domain (Effective Number oBits ... see ENOB). Again, no amount of signal processing can improve that regardless of the price ticket on the equipment.

Analogue tape has a better Signal-to-noise than vinyl; domestic ¼ tape (70dB) is equivalent to 11-bits in the digital domain so it is better than vinyl but worse than CD; A 1" tape at 100dB approaches that of 16-bit digital. All this is only after some very extensive noise-reduction techniques (compression) have been employed (e.g, Dolby). All forms of compression are also lossy by design, if you record a piano (piano-fortissimo - literally soft-loud) that has, say, a 120dB dynamic range onto a 100dB tape then 20dB of that sound is lost forever and no amount of decompression can recover what was lost during compression, regardless of the price ticket on the equipment. 

24-bits has a dynamic range of 146dB, this is approaching the limit of what is achievable in practice due to the inherent noise-floor of any electronic system, and 146dB is far beyond what the human ear is capable of hearing (the human ear is equivalent to a 20-bit ADC but even then we cannot hear a pin-drop when stood next to a Phantom jet on full after-burn).

To understand why 24-bits is the standard in a studio when the delivered product is either 16-bit or vinyl (8-effective bits) it is necessary to understand the process involved. What it is not about is producing a 24-bit product that is seldom available. Unfortunately this explanation and understanding involves some mathematics.

The use of 24-bits in a recording studio is about maximising the number of bits though-out the mixing process. This maximises the signal-to-noise ratio and thus the dynamic range of the individual tracks that are mixed down to the final master track. A track is only 24-bits when it uses the full-scale range of the track (0dB) and obviously during mixing we do not set all the sliders on the mixing desk to maximum, individual tracks are reduced in level to produce a balanced mix and as the volume of each individual track is reduced the effective number of bits in each signal is also reduced. 

The difference between 16 bits and 24 bits is 48dB, this means we can reduce the volume of a individual 24-bit track by 48dB (ie set the slider to -48dB) and maintain a 16-bit resolution - if we had used a 16-bit mixing desk then that 48dB reduction in volume would be the equivalent of 8-bits resolution (i.e., almost as good as vinyl). 

To put that into perspective 48dB is pretty much the same as the 50dB dynamic range of vinyl - this means that this -48dB volume reduction would be equivalent to the noise you can hear from vinyl (not the quietest sound, but the actual surface noise)  - i.e., really really quiet, and so by using a 24-bit studio we can record the quietest sound a vinyl can reproduce at the same resolution as the loudest sound a 16-bit CD can reproduce.

So now when all the tracks are added together to form the final mix each component part is as high a resolution as possible and essentially (given that -48dB is incredibly quiet) no part of the mix-down is worse than 16-bits (ie has a better than 98 dB signal to noise ratio). Now when we reduce that to 16-bits for CD mastering we have maintained the best Signal-to-noise (and dynamic range) as possible - the quiet -48dB track is still reduced from 16-effective-bits to 8-effective-bits but without increasing the total amount of noise in the final mix-down track and without using pre-mix compression - i.e., we have kept the full 98dB Signal-to-noise of a 16-bit CD. The purpose of a 24-bit studio is to produce the best 16-bit product possible.

[Do not confuse this inherent Signal-to-Noise of the signal with the SNR figures quoted on audio equipment - noise is additive - an amplifier (or DAC or cartridge) adds its noise to the noise from the recording, it can never subtract and it can never make it better.]

I know this is not what some people want to read so will dismiss what I have written as being overly "technical" and not what they "hear" on their hi-end equipment, but that is the reality of the situation.

Edited by Dean - September 21 2014 at 06:12
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 09:20
CD. Aside from all the technical flummery (sorry, Dean), I prefer a hard copy over clouds or fragile tape and vinyl. I can download to mp3 format but still have back up in case my PC explodes or if Russian or Chinese pirates hack the cloud.

Since I listen to music mostly on commutes, the utmost clarity is unnecessary; particularly since I drive a Jeep. So hearing Robert Fripp farting in the background of Starless is unlikely.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 12:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I know this is not what some people want to read so will dismiss what I have written as being overly "technical" and not what they "hear" on their hi-end equipment, but that is the reality of the situation.
Stephen Colbert might say "I hear with my gut, not with my head."  Wink
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 13:09

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Had to vote for other. I've heard all types of music (except mainstream
pop bootlegs) under every format (except blu ray audio). FLAC and other
loss formats are great storage / torrent formats but we are still
talking CD 16 bit quality. Still, plugins enable their playability.Just wondering if 24 bit is the highest resolution does that mean 16 bit and vinyl options are actually lossy formats after all?

<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">16bit, assuming you are talking about redbook standard 16/44, is not a lossy format, neither is vinyl. A lot of vinyl is pressed from 24/96 or 24/192 digital files. This is a big reason why you have people that say vinyl sounds better than CD....and please dear Lord do not go down that path as that is a personal choice. Wink
<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Then you have DSD files which require a DSD capable DAC..DSD128 for example has a sampling rate of 128x more than standard CD.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Studio recordings are usually 24bit and remasters/remix from original tapes are usually done to 24bit, but then are converted to 16bit so CDs can be pressed.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Do listening tests if you can to determine what you think of all these formats. I have done some listening to DSD128 files on a very high end revealing digital system and the sound was absolutely magnificent, problem is for the common man those systems are out of reach, financially. Other problem with these high-resolution files is there is not much being released that you or I listen to, and the files are not cheap either.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">I have also listened to analog (vinyl) systems that are incredibly insane sounding, again the gear can be expensive.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">But it is fun to hear what music can actually sound like...then I come home and listen to my stuff and hope one day to win the lottery LOL
I do not have a high end system but's not too bad at least it's 21st Century (except for my temporarily defunct turntable).The thing is that the idea one needs a hi end system to hear the difference is something of a misnomer. I hear the difference easily on my MOR system. I think a high end system will allow for an even greater appreciation of the audio quality available - you have too get some value for your high end dollars! But the difference is evident on working class hi fi as well. (I have an old universal playing Pioneer player) that does the necessary.Yes everything 16 bit or remastered for CD / vinyl exists in 24 bit or 1 bit SACD but not necessarily available as such. The wars between the music companies playing monopoly (giving hi res a reputation for dead format) has not benefited anyone at all.If everything was available as SACD / hybridor DVD A rather than red book this would have reduced the piracy problem (not eliminated it). But hi res is the best audio quality and we don't get that consumer choice (downloadsonly if we're lucky for those that have that equipment - a ridiculous situation). Amazing to think that we have to settle for lesser quality (16 bit) because of some CEO contest. (Sony v Philips / EMI). Hybrid is a fine standard for digital formats. The classical hi res I pick up is a delight to hear in this respect alone.I'd be interested to compare the released formats of the same material e.g. Deep Purple Concerto for Group and Orchestra has a DVD, DVD Audio (I have a copy of both),the old vinyl and the new 3 LP vinyl. I assume it's on CD somewhere...? Anyway, comparing vinyl to vinyl could be interesting.

That would be fun to do........
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 13:30
The kerosene record player, though it is not a very efficient device. A lot of times, it runs out of spunk.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 13:55
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Stephen Colbert might say "I hear with my gut, not with my head."  Wink
I use my ears, but each to their own.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>