Direct Link To This Post Topic: talking heads
    Posted: October 14 2010 at 06:55
what's good talking heads to get into?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 07:02
Anything from the first to Remain in Light. I particularly like their second one, More Songs About Buildings and Food. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 07:03
More Songs About Buildings and Food is excellent and Fear of Music is good (similar in quality to the debut album) They're off kilter and edgy rock with an arty icing on the top if you will. Half the double live album The name of this band is Talking Heads is also very worthwhile especially the bits featuring Adrian Belew.
After that yer own yer own matey - the 'world tribal music' period of Talking Heads sounds grievously dated to me now. White hipsters ingratiating themselves to ethnic affectations are no different to watching your parents dance to pop music - so embarrassing you want to die
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 07:34
Being a long time fine since I heard Remain In Light, that remains one of my favorites.  The live album is also not a bad place to start.  It's been released as an expanded version and it covers what I consider to be the band in their prime.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 07:53
Remain in Light.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 07:57
The first four have each been a favourite of mine at various points in my existence. The Eno records "More songs about Buildings and Food" (1978), "Fear of Music" (1979) and "Remain in Light" (1980) are equally good starting points. "Fear of Music" was my first encounter. The debut "77" (1977) is less proggier and more in N.Y. punk/new wave/art rock vein. Easily digestible and a perfect feel-good record with very clever lyrics and a delightful fresh sound... The record I put on the most.
Psycho Killer qu'est-ce que c'est? fa, fa, fa, fa, fa, fa.

Anyway - the best introduction is probably "The Name of this Band is Talking Heads" (1981) containing live material from the first four.

Edited by Paravion - October 14 2010 at 07:58
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Anything from the first to Remain in Light. I particularly like their second one, More Songs About Buildings and Food. 

I would say the same. Through Remain in Light they were really, really interesting and it's very cool to hear how the music progressed from the first album to Remain in Light. After that I think they started fragmenting and the music was much less interesting and fun. Both live albums-The Name of the Band is Talking Heads and Stop Making Sense-are very good.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 23:56
advice: Remain in Light doesn't necessarily sound innovative. After all, we live in 2010, and we have heard all sort of electronic sounds.
It's also a highly repetitive album. The first track is the same riff over and over again. Some people like it that way (I do), but it's generally considered a bad thing by progheads.
so don't expect too much.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 00:19
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

advice: Remain in Light doesn't necessarily sound innovative. After all, we live in 2010, and we have heard all sort of electronic sounds.
It's also a highly repetitive album. The first track is the same riff over and over again. Some people like it that way (I do), but it's generally considered a bad thing by progheads.

#1: It wasn't always 2010. Thank goodness for that. Train your ears to listen, not just to hear whatever random modern noise is dumbing you down at the moment.
#2: Repetition is key here. Tape loops, repetitive playing based on African pop traditions and Eno's method of 'addition by subtraction' are key to understanding the record.

Edited by WalterDigsTunes - October 17 2010 at 00:20
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 00:27
Start off with Remain in Light, it's a masterpiece. I find a lot of their other albums to be pretty inconsistent. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 00:32
Nothing But Flowers!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 00:44
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

#1: It wasn't always 2010. Thank goodness for that. Train your ears to listen, not just to hear whatever random modern noise is dumbing you down at the moment.
#2: Repetition is key here. Tape loops, repetitive playing based on African pop traditions and Eno's method of 'addition by subtraction' are key to understanding the record.

Remain in Light
sucks hugely due in no small measure to Byrne's song-writing having degenerated into inane ethnic contraband. I also think the production date-stamps the album to its detriment e.g. that bright, brittle, sterile ball-less 80's 'digitalis' malaise that was endemic at the time.

You're right about the repetition though, as it does strive to imitate ethnic pop styles and tribal music (which are just savoury  ingredients to taste at the end of the day y'all - not my bag though)

However, citing anything that comes out of any Eno orifice as being indicative of a record's merit is at best, plain vanilla flimsy. (3 - 2 = 5 anyone?)
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 01:33

ClapClap
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 02:04
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Remain in Light
sucks hugely due in no small measure to Byrne's song-writing having degenerated into inane ethnic contraband. I also think the production date-stamps the album to its detriment e.g. that bright, brittle, sterile ball-less 80's 'digitalis' malaise that was endemic at the time.

You're right about the repetition though, as it does strive to imitate ethnic pop styles and tribal music (which are just savoury  ingredients to taste at the end of the day y'all - not my bag though)

However, citing anything that comes out of any Eno orifice as being indicative of a record's merit is at best, plain vanilla flimsy. (3 - 2 = 5 anyone?)

I don't know if I've ever disagreed with anything more strongly in my life. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 04:17
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

Remain in Light

If I don't like the production or most of the songs and consider Eno a pseudo-intellectual w.a.n.k.e.r you must think me insincere then? Confused
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 08:04
I really like Eno' music, but yeah, he can be a bit of a w.a.n.k.e.r. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 17 2010 at 08:06
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 18:19

Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

Remain in Light

If I don't like the production or most of the songs and consider Eno a pseudo-intellectual w.a.n.k.e.r you must think me insincere then? Confused

I don't think you're insincere-nobody would ever dream of making up that opinion unless they were trolling and I don't think you're a troll. I just can't even wrap my head around Brian Eno being a "pseudo intellectual", or Remain In Light's production being described as "bright". The last statement, in particular, is more or less patently false. 
Norman Kiddie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:35
Smile Remain In Light & Stop Making Sence cd or better the DVD.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:39
I am not a big Talking Heads fan, but I do think Eno is brilliant producer. Before and After Science is a masterpiece of production.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:40

Oxymoron: good Talking Heads

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>