Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 01:44
My goal is to listen to all the top 100 albums on PA
Life is like a beanstalk... isn't it?
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 17:14
Now I have finished to listen to the streams of the letter G in the symphonic prog section. In this letter I only know Genesis.

I would like to comment on the bands I found most notable:

- I used to play the recorder and I always wanted to combine the recorder with rock music like... Galie! I am not sure if this mexican band really uses a recorder or another type of flute, but it sounds very much like one. It alternates nicely with the synth solos and acoustical guitar. Although the flute is a bit intonated too high on these examples, I definitely like to hear more of them.

- In a very similar style than Galie is also this piece of the spanish band Gotic. Here the flute (recorder) is intonated correctly and I listened to it with enjoyment. Another one to check out.

- Gracious sounds dark, mysterious, powerful. Why have I never heard of it before? The samples of the early 70ies remind me a bit of King Crimson. This is simply... gracious!

- Sweden did a lot for the revival of progressive rock in the 90ies and later. So I was not surprised to find out that Grand Stand comes from this country, too. This example of music contains everything I like of this genre.

- I knew Dave Greenslade only from Colosseum, which is one of my favourite bands. Now I heard for the first time some music of the band he founded in the 70ies. Greenslade seems to be much influenced from Genesis and Yes of the same time. The result is much worth to check out.

- A surprise for me was to discover the german band Grobschnitt. The voice is a bit to get used to, but the music is typical 70ies prog, in the wake of Genesis and Yes. I am a german and I have never heard of this band before. It seems to me, this type of music does not have a tradition in my country, that's a pity.

- Shaun Guerin (R.I.P) sounds very much like early Genesis, which is not a surprise, as I just learnt, he was lead singer and drummer of the Genesis cover band Cinema Show. He died shortly after two solo albums.
The song, that is streamed here, sounds a bit darker, then the songs Genesis normally do.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 17:37
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Now I have finished to listen to the streams of the letter G in the symphonic prog section. In this letter I only know Genesis.

I would like to comment on the bands I found most notable:

- I used to play the recorder and I always wanted to combine the recorder with rock music like... Galie! I am not sure if this mexican band really uses a recorder or another type of flute, but it sounds very much like one. It alternates nicely with the synth solos and acoustical guitar. Although the flute is a bit intonated too high on these examples, I definitely like to hear more of them.

- In a very similar style than Galie is also this piece of the spanish band Gotic. Here the flute (recorder) is intonated correctly and I listened to it with enjoyment. Another one to check out.

- Gracious sounds dark, mysterious, powerful. Why have I never heard of it before? The samples of the early 70ies remind me a bit of King Crimson. This is simply... gracious!

- Sweden did a lot for the revival of progressive rock in the 90ies and later. So I was not surprised to find out that Grand Stand comes from this country, too. This example of music contains everything I like of this genre.

- I knew Dave Greenslade only from Colosseum, which is one of my favourite bands. Now I heard for the first time some music of the band he founded in the 70ies. Greenslade seems to be much influenced from Genesis and Yes of the same time. The result is much worth to check out.

- A surprise for me was to discover the german band Grobschnitt. The voice is a bit to get used to, but the music is typical 70ies prog, in the wake of Genesis and Yes. I am a german and I have never heard of this band before. It seems to me, this type of music does not have a tradition in my country, that's a pity.

- Shaun Guerin (R.I.P) sounds very much like early Genesis, which is not a surprise, as I just learnt, he was lead singer and drummer of the Genesis cover band Cinema Show. He died shortly after two solo albums.
The song, that is streamed here, sounds a bit darker, then the songs Genesis normally do.

If you have not yet heard the MP3 streaming samples of Clearlight, I can recommend you this one, with Shaun Guerin on vocals... (to be cont'd at K).

Edited by someone_else - March 13 2011 at 17:37
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 17:44
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

If you have not yet heard the MP3 streaming samples of Clearlight, I can recommend you this one, with Shaun Guerin on vocals... (to be cont'd at K).

Oh, I like Clearlight Thumbs Up. I mentioned them in my first post (where I was not  yet so specific with comments on the bands.) But thank you for reminding me. I already thought, that I heard the voice earlier and could not figure it out immediately...

Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 05:34
Clearlight was the only one I had heard of. In the A's did you come across "Ain Soph"? I highly recommend the song "Valley of Lutha".

Alan Parsons?
Ayreon?
Blackfield?
Blackmore's Night?
Caravan?
Explorer's Club?
Fates Warning?
Frogg Cafe?
Glass Hammer?
Gowan?
H's........ Harmonium!!!!!!!!!!!!
and IQ.

I am a Symph prog nut myself. Not all above is Symph prog but I recommend the above.

Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 05:56
Formenter lady ......................dance your dance for me !

I am not sure that your idea is a good one. Streaming is O.K. and I used it my self but I have found that in many cases reading reviews can be very helpful and also searching the sub-genre highlights. I would strongly recommend you not to focus only on symphonic and search other sub-genres too.
Here's a small list of things I recommend from the letters you already searched :

After crying - a Hungarian symphonic band from the 90's. Their debut "Overground music" is beautiful and I am still searching for more albums from this band.
Comus  - An acid folk band that released 2 albums in the 70's. Their debut "First utterance" is much better and IMO one of the greatest albums in all time.
Esperanto - A Belgian / English symphonic band that released 3 albums in mid 70's. The second album - "Danse macabre" is a masterpiece in my book.
Fern knight - Folk band from San francisko that released 4 album in the last years. I have the latter 2. I recommend their third album which is self titled.
Haggard - for some odd reasons this band is classified here as crossover. This is a band that mixes clasic tools (violin, celo, oboe ...etc) with guitars and drums and medival female singing with heavy metal male singing and that may sound bizzare to you but I find the outcome magical. I recommend their debut and the third album - "Epur si muevo".

Enjoy !
omri
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 06:00
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

So are you buying any albums based on your listens?

Arachnoid's album delivers all the way through, if you like their sound, it's worth getting.
Discipline's Unfolded like Staircase is very good, but the lead track (Limbo) is far superior to the rest of the album
Echolyn is a very good modern prog. The live Mei is a little flat to my ears, but their own site used to have other free songs to try.
Focus only uses the yodels on that one song, with rare hints at it elsewhere. They are very solid classic prog band that I'd put up with Camel in the "Second Tier" of classic prog.

I've gotten alot of music based on streaming samples, here, and last.fm when they used to have full songs. Lots of bands have some free material to get you started as well.

Enjoy the site.

For me "Crutches" and "Before the storm" are better than "Limbo" though the whole album is great.
Focus youdle some more ("Harem scarem" in the begining of "Hamburger concerto" and also one track on their 8th album).
omri
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12