Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was Anglagard the reason why Prog rock rebirth?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Anglagard the reason why Prog rock rebirth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Anglagard the reason why Prog rock rebirth?
    Posted: November 29 2010 at 16:25
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Why the shouting? WHY????????Pinch

its easier to read
my eyesight is very poor , and glasses get on yer tits after a while
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 13:10
^ thanks Ivan. Recommendations always welcomeBig smile
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 10:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I thought symphonic prog was just a sub genre of prog?
Anyway if the discussion is just about symph prog then I will challenge anyone to listen to Par Lindh's 'Veni Vidi Vici' and then specify which seventies prog albums he is plundering.Please.

That said I havn't any symph prog since that album that is remotely interesting. Don't really care that much though as I've found plenty of other stuff to enjoy outside of that (sub) genre.

Knowing your tastes Richardh, I recommend you to start with:

1. Welcome to the Freakroom...........Shadow Circus
  2. Distorted Memories by Life Line Project
I'm sure you'll find both interesting.

Iván

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 18:17
I thought symphonic prog was just a sub genre of prog?
Anyway if the discussion is just about symph prog then I will challenge anyone to listen to Par Lindh's 'Veni Vidi Vici' and then specify which seventies prog albums he is plundering.Please.

That said I havn't any symph prog since that album that is remotely interesting. Don't really care that much though as I've found plenty of other stuff to enjoy outside of that (sub) genre.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 04:54
While I cannot agree with his typically ludicrous reasoning, I agree with Walter that Anglagard wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Not to mention that their frequent and abrupt transitions make their music difficult to listen to in a bad way.  Don't tell me that it's prog and you have to persist to 'get' it, I have never had to persist more than maybe three sessions to 'get' Magma or Univers Zero in the sense I mean. So I am referring to a more absolute musicality here and I cannot listen to music that has no continuity or direction and wants the listener to believe that sudden off putting shifts are very cool and progressive.  Of course, there was a lot of great music in the 90s - Kevin Gilbert, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, Tori Amos, Jamiroquai - so I don't have to stick to "enjoying the fruits of 70s symphonic prog". Wink  
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:59
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Your inability to present yourself as an element of the pre-89 era in proper album form merely underscores your scorn for the Golden Age of Music.

And oh God how I scorn it!  Angry

'Night Walter.  Hug

Have a good one and remember: Say "NO!" to new music.

Already have a good one.  Just need a longer one. 

Take some pills, then. That's a fine way of getting additional sleep.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:54
Walter is my hero, and the most glorious poster on all of PA
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:49

Your inability to present yourself as an element of the pre-89 era in proper album form merely underscores your scorn for the Golden Age of Music.

'Night Walter.  Hug

Already have a good one.  Just need a longer one. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:45

'Night Walter.  Hug

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:44
Oh Walter

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:44

'Night Walter.  Hug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:41
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:40

See? That's the churlish attitude of a remorseless thief of the post-89 persuasion. The works of him and his ilk should be excised from the annals of human existence.

Yes I know.  I fail.  Disapprove

Now here's my question.  I wrote most of my songs in 1987.  Do I qualify as a pre-1989 hero, or must one actually release the album before 1989?  Because I recorded one song in 1987.  My mom has it on cassette.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:37
See? That's the churlish attitude of a remorseless thief of the post-89 persuasion. The works of him and his ilk should be excised from the annals of human existence.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 00:34
lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 23:32
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

However, originality in the post-89 context is non-existent and absolutely impossible. Its all a rehash of previous greatness. 

Why impossible?

If it was possible for Bach to make original Baroque music 200 years after Monteverdi, then is possible for any good artist to make original Symphonic music after 10, 20, or 50  years.

Genres used to last centuries, why do we insist in the idea that Symphonic Prog only lasted 10 years?

Iván

A style, an approach and an aesthetic are all the product of their time. The 70s produced excellent symphonic music, and superb bands latched onto the possibilities during this period of time. Latecomers in the post-89 era operate in an era without ideas, without originality. These johnny-come-latelies artificially replicate the ethos of another age. Their false productions are inherently derivative and inferior to the original pieces. Divorced from its proper context, the musical approach they seek to replicate is a weak aberration sustained by the bankrupt ethics of the post-89 age. Every time you support a post-89 "artist" you are endorsing theft and the disenfranchisement of a pre-89 hero.

Genres don't last centuries. The 20th century is littered with fleeting movements and styles that encompass short time spans of a decade or less. Symphonic prog had its moment. Let's enjoy the fruits of that era rather than consume the poisonous errors of post-89 thieves.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 23:25

However, originality in the post-89 context is non-existent and absolutely impossible. Its all a rehash of previous greatness. 

Why impossible?

If it was possible for Bach to make original Baroque music 200 years after Monteverdi, then is possible for any good artist to make original Symphonic music after 10, 20, or 50  years.

Genres used to last centuries, why do we insist in the idea that Symphonic Prog only lasted 10 years?

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 23:16
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

It seems absurd to cite the advent of digital technology in the 80's as the last credible innovation in music.
We're talking about SAMPLING here hello? i.e. the means to copy any audio source and splice same into your own music. Digital sampling should have represented a fantastic creative tool for musicians but it ended up as a lazy substitute for a lack of original ideas and that pretty much sums up the output of the 'magpie decade' in my book.
Even something as dodgy as plagiarism has a hierarchy: to copy something verbatim and pass of as your own creation you can use a digital sampler - the other type of sampler is the one that exists between your ears and you actually have to understand music to replicate what you hear using one of those.

Now that everything can be copied, what's original? Except for the works of innovators who happen to operate in the initial moments of digital sampling, the idea quickly becomes a cliche. Sampling is the logical endpoint for innovation, and this occurs in the late 80s. The 80s is the last moment in which originality is allowed to even exist.

Plagiarists have been able to copy since before there was even electricity, it's just that digital technology made it considerably easier. Your post reads like something the late Kathy Acker would have written i.e. one of those post-modernist dismissals where plagiarism is considered an acceptable artistic device with it's apologists citing 'irony' as their muse. Following your logic here, the advent of the camera in the 19th Century would have forestalled Cubism, Fauvism, Futurism, Expressionism and Surrealism?

That's bollocks ain't it?

I can't stand post-modern ideas.  I stand by the modernist notions of progress and originality. However, originality in the post-89 context is non-existent and absolutely impossible. Its all a rehash of previous greatness. Sampling, in the 80s, is novel and innovative. However, in the post-89 era its novelty wears out.and becomes a standard element in music. Stealing and recontextualizing becomes old hat, another banality in an age without ideas.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 23:13

It seems absurd to cite the advent of digital technology in the 80's as the last credible innovation in music.
We're talking about SAMPLING here hello? i.e. the means to copy any audio source and splice same into your own music. Digital sampling should have represented a fantastic creative tool for musicians but it ended up as a lazy substitute for a lack of original ideas and that pretty much sums up the output of the 'magpie decade' in my book.
Even something as dodgy as plagiarism has a hierarchy: to copy something verbatim and pass of as your own creation you can use a digital sampler - the other type of sampler is the one that exists between your ears and you actually have to understand music to replicate what you hear using one of those.

Now that everything can be copied, what's original? Except for the works of innovators who happen to operate in the initial moments of digital sampling, the idea quickly becomes a cliche. Sampling is the logical endpoint for innovation, and this occurs in the late 80s. The 80s is the last moment in which originality is allowed to even exist.

Plagiarists have been able to copy since before there was even electricity, it's just that digital technology made it considerably easier. Your post reads like something the late Kathy Acker would have written i.e. one of those post-modernist dismissals where plagiarism is considered an acceptable artistic device with it's apologists citing 'irony' as their muse. Following your logic here, the advent of the camera in the 19th Century would have forestalled Cubism, Fauvism, Futurism, Expressionism and Surrealism?

That's bollocks ain't it?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 22:36

Edited by WalterDigsTunes - November 04 2010 at 22:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>