FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTorman Maxt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 05:11
^ It got a good review in Classic Rock according to the interview though.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 05:23
Well, that's it. The album is now on the top of my to-listen list. 
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 05:40
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Well, that's it. The album is now on the top of my to-listen list. 

just goes to show, there's no bad pressTongue
product controversy creates awareness of said product
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 06:24
Well, I just forced myself to sit through the band's first release, and I found it excruciating. Wrote a review all about it. That's not even the controversial one. I'll get to that one tomorrow, I guess. I'll be honest, after hearing the first album, I'm dreading listening to any more. But I've got to try to see if that particular album has any redeeming qualities to it. They could have improved between those two releases. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 09:23
Well, had I not heard about this "controversy" recently, I would  never have bothered to even try the album out.  Now I guess I will, seeing that it's free and all.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:36
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

and such occasions when the site creates missed encounters like that of (to quote just some famous cases Wink) The T with avantgarde, Rocktopus with prog-metal, or Certif1ed with post-rock, etc., well those are normally just exceptions to an otherwise "natural" social phenomenon.

Your post makes a lot of sense. Though my anti-affiliation with avant-garde is less strong now (though avant-garde rock still bothers me a little) and my feelings towards prog-metal are cooler... But your point is good. And as I've said, the ratings are normal. In other sites you had one person reviewing the album, in this one many, many people of different musical tastes... 

Nobody can deny we've popularized the album though, as JLocke proved... Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:49
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Nobody can deny we've popularized the album though, as JLocke proved... Tongue

Exactly.....Torman Maxt owes you an appology T and sales commission on the 4 purchases due to this thread.
If the albums are refunded, you should still keep the commish!

Big smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:51
LOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:56
By the way, I've heard "The Problem of Pain Part 2". I can certainly agree is an improvement over its predecessor. The recording is not that great (the drums are too much up front), the vocals are ok, but the drummer seems to have taken a lesson or two (still not great but not so weak). The music itself is still somewhat derivative but it certainly sounds more like an album by a band and not ... well, whatever. This would receive a 2.5/3 over 5. 
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:13
We´re looking forward to the review TBig smile.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:30
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

By the way, I've heard "The Problem of Pain Part 2". I can certainly agree is an improvement over its predecessor. The recording is not that great (the drums are too much up front), the vocals are ok, but the drummer seems to have taken a lesson or two (still not great but not so weak). The music itself is still somewhat derivative but it certainly sounds more like an album by a band and not ... well, whatever. This would receive a 2.5/3 over 5. 

I listened to it and also felt a 3 was good.....I don't review like you guys do, but in my mind that is the max. And agree the "sound" is better.

BTW....I have since deleted part 1 and 2 from my collection and also removed it from my Zune player.
Cry
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:01
Thanks to this thread, Torman Maxt has gotten two more reviews - both of which are 1 star ratings! LOL

It's amazing how negative hype really does indeed give more exposure.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:28

@Olav: I don't find it surprinsing at all that there's a major difference between PA ratings and the ratings from other sites. The results of submitting for review a product to 1) free-to-all reviewing places with a diverse demographic and 2) well targeted independent reviewers will always be very different in the case of a product with such traits as this particular music album.

I mean, on PA there are "prog-fans", but there are also people interested only in classic prog and not in its modern revivals, people interested in hardcore avantgarde, in the indie scene, in the extreme metal music, etc. What happened here is that, like tuxon also explained, this album's public history attracted reviewers from different niches than that of its own. Normally here every album gets reviewed mostly by those who are interested in it in the first place and the average rating settles according to its niche; and such occasions when the site creates missed encounters like that of (to quote just some famous cases Wink) The T with avantgarde, Rocktopus with prog-metal, or Certif1ed with post-rock, etc., well those are normally just exceptions to an otherwise "natural" social phenomenon.

I'm not surprised that TM's album in discussion got OK/good ratings from targeted prog sites and zines. But if every site on the internet, from all corners of the spectrum of taste, would have reviewed the album, I guess the average rating would have been similar to that of PA. I don't suppose they sent the album to NME, Pitchfork, NPR and all the indie sites...
I dont quite buy that (though its definitely an element) as people like Jeff, Teo and myself would normally quite happely listen to this kind of music, if it's done well, yet all three of us have given it a 1 star review. In my review I planely stated that the lyrics were the main reason for the 1 star, but even based on the music its still only a 2.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:32
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Personally, I dont trust the album reviews in the CRPP magazine, I've disagreed with far too many of them in the past to put much stock in what they say.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:32
^ I didn't go so far as to imply that the music is good and it just didn't fit your tastes,  I wouldn't know that. I didn't listen to it. From the descriptions I gathered it's a mediocre / submediocre heavy rock / prog thing, and with that in mind I wrote my post. 
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:38
From what I've heard of the new Problem of pain... its definately an improvement..
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:38

^ I didn't go so far as to imply that the music is good and it just didn't fit your tastes,  I wouldn't know that. I didn't listen to it. From the descriptions I gathered it's a mediocre / submediocre heavy rock / prog thing, and with that in mind I wrote my post. 
I know, its the implication that most of the low rating comes from people that wouldn't noramlly like that kind of thing anyway (and a few people that tried and reviewed it wouldn't normally go for that kind of album) I was picking up on, I just pointed out that those that would listen to this kind of music didn't like it either.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:39
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Personally, I dont trust the album reviews in the CRPP magazine, I've disagreed with far too many of them in the past to put much stock in what they say.

Thats Ok..I disagree with your reviews.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 18:07
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

@Olav: I don't find it surprinsing at all that there's a major difference between PA ratings and the ratings from other sites. The results of submitting for review a product to 1) free-to-all reviewing places with a diverse demographic and 2) well targeted independent reviewers will always be very different in the case of a product with such traits as this particular music album.

I mean, on PA there are "prog-fans", but there are also people interested only in classic prog and not in its modern revivals, people interested in hardcore avantgarde, in the indie scene, in the extreme metal music, etc. What happened here is that, like tuxon also explained, this album's public history attracted reviewers from different niches than that of its own. Normally here every album gets reviewed mostly by those who are interested in it in the first place and the average rating settles according to its niche; and such occasions when the site creates missed encounters like that of (to quote just some famous cases Wink) The T with avantgarde, Rocktopus with prog-metal, or Certif1ed with post-rock, etc., well those are normally just exceptions to an otherwise "natural" social phenomenon.

I'm not surprised that TM's album in discussion got OK/good ratings from targeted prog sites and zines. But if every site on the internet, from all corners of the spectrum of taste, would have reviewed the album, I guess the average rating would have been similar to that of PA. I don't suppose they sent the album to NME, Pitchfork, NPR and all the indie sites...
I dont quite buy that (though its definitely an element) as people like Jeff, Teo and myself would normally quite happely listen to this kind of music, if it's done well, yet all three of us have given it a 1 star review. In my review I planely stated that the lyrics were the main reason for the 1 star, but even based on the music its still only a 2.

It's a pretty simple concept:

I checked out the album because it was free, I enjoy concept albums, and the samples sounded OK. I like heavy prog rock, and quite frankly, I went into the album expecting much better than what it turned out to be. I was proven wrong when my ears were graced with some really poor music.

And just to clear things up, I don't care what other people think of an album when it comes to reviewing. I disagree with most PA reviewers on at least a few albums, and thus, I've don't let other people's reviews influence my own review. Again, to prove this, I will have everybody scroll down through the collaborator reviews of this album:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13659

I'm one of TWO collaborators to rate the album with 5 stars. I love the album, and it just shows how much I care about the morons' opinions who ranked it with 1 or 2 stars. Tongue (just kidding, no offense intended to Scarsick-haters).

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 18:30
I just reviewed the exact album that caused all the controversy. My question is, why does any controversy exist? All one has to do is just listen to the album, and you'll understand where everybody was coming from.

This is dreadful. I'm through with Torman Maxt. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>