Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Raven Brothers - new music to hear
    Posted: October 17 2010 at 06:00

The Raven Brothers

From reverbnation the band have a number of songs for download here. http://www.reverbnation.com/theravenbrothers

GNX-3 The Multimedia Event - A Space Iliad Concept Album and Movie.

ST - Songs/Soundtracks for Film and TV.

WDP&TRB William Donnie Picou and The Raven Brothers - A collection of rock songs by the gifted singer/song writer William Donnie Picou.

Product - A compendium of original songs & music compositions from the studio. Featuring Maggie Evans - with Gothic Dark Shadows overtones.

Here’s my review of these songs;

‘Brave Free Men’ is somewhat reminiscent lyrically of Hawkwind or early 70s space psych prog. It may even be as quirky as Pink Floyd fronted by Barrett when one considers the feel of this track. The lyrics mention clichés and a space prog ideology of imagery such as starshine, the galaxy, rocket ships, and the chorus tells us help is on the way, faster than the speed of light. A moderate track that is catchy enough to grow on you. A good start.

‘Maggie Evans’ is a very slow laid back love song sung with some feeling. A low key vocal dubbed over multiple tells of Maggie who is “is in my dreams… on a summers day walking down the street… on a Sunday afternoon.” On Tuesday morning Maggie opens up a Diners door pours a coffee for the people who have nowhere else to go. The singer says he needs her more than he has ever needed anyone before. It is upbeat music and very melodic with a sombre reflective theme.

‘The Countdown Has Begun’ and someone has to save the day, but who? “Searching for answers  for questions we never need to ask, something to get me through the day… looking in vain up to the sky all long gone what could they even think to say?” The moderate beat drives it a long and once again this is reflective on life and the future if there is one. This one grew on me quicker and I like the way the melody does not detract from the overall down-key thematic content. There is an intriguing solo section midway using a woodwind sound on keyboards, clarinet in tone, and very appropriate to the atmosphere.

‘Quadrandits’ has a slow feel with strong piano and battle drum patterns. Some keyboard motifs drive it along. The instrumental is enhanced with choral voices using a synthesizer, similar to the tone of a Yamaha on choral setting; the result is an ethereal atmosphere with Gothic overtones.

‘Three to Two’ is from the Product project and has a strong beat and jangly guitar throughout. The track is an instrumental that could have really done with some vocals as it becomes quite repetitive but the melody is endearing enough to hold my attention. Vocals would definitely make a huge difference for the better so let’s hope that the band add some on an album. The lead break is a welcome addition and well played with squealing arpeggios and speed picking. Then the original riff returns but is exactly as earlier so not enough variation for my ears.

‘Carolyn’s Theme’ from  ‘Goin’ Green’ has a superb bassline that is funky and infectious. The guitars complement this instrumental well with a rather sporadic drum metrical pattern that drives it headlong. The main riff is excellent and one for the bassplayer to shine. A rather loud abrasive guitar riff crunches over for a moment and then it returns to the main motif. It gets into repetitive territory here and a lead break or synth solo seemed a necessary component at this point, though I loved the guitar chimes to follow and then it eventually launches into a divine wah wah lead break. Some magnificent playing on this make it a highlight of the band’s repertoire. The riffs really hook into a groove and it is a memorable excursion into cool adventurous soundscapes.

‘Fairies Dancing on a Dandelion’ is a rather naff title and the music is dominated by soft guitar chords strummed along to a steady drum beat. A nice little guitar riff locks in for a time in the same melody but picked faster rather than strummed. The feel is dreamy and relaxing. The cymbal splashes are great and remind me of large waves washing up on jagged rocks, rather than a fairy jigging on a yellow flower, but instrumentals are really open to interpretation. I would have liked some solo instrumentation to complement the rhythmic music but it is quite a simple form of music without any specific instrumental solos.

‘Joe The Psycho’ has a huge bass line and reminds me of a Secret Agent movie with crescendos and playing up and down the scales. The guitars are clean once again and quite innovative in the manner in which they complement the bass and very strong drum beat. Instrumentals need some variation in the midst of all the melodies but there are none found here. The rhythm is strong though and that bass is fabulous; almost King Crimson Fripp style playing too, at least as far as the polyrhythmic metrics.

‘Don’t Wanna Know’ is from ‘Goin’ Green’ with a heavy percussion pattern and some inspired lead guitar swells, quite ethereal in atmosphere. This feels darker due to the strange guitar playing and ghostly synth noises. The music is sparse at times and replete with a bleak hostile environment made possible with unusual guitars that echo in and out of the soundscape and eerie choral white noise. Perhaps this is more experimental than other pieces from the band and it is unsettling uneasy listening, a real surprise given the content of the other tracks available.

‘Rose of Arabia’ from ‘Goin’ Green’ begins with an odd percussive shape and low key bass. The ominous atmosphere of dread is compelling especially with morbid keyboard motifs and sustained guitar tones. The atmosphere is decidedly African due to the percussion rhythms and again this feels experimental and progressive. The solo is divine acoustic guitar and a delightful enhancement to the overall environment. There is an Arabian melody with the guitars which sound Arabian in the way they are played and the effects pedals utilised. An intriguing conceptual piece that works well on every level.

There is more and I urge to check out the band on reverbnation when you can.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 06:10
The band also have some cool videos

Worth a look when you can

Let me know what you think...
The Raven Brothers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 12:06
Thanks for the wonderful review - we look forward to hearing what the fans here Hear and their comments
on music and video.  Thanks for listening!

TRB
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 12:27
Wow!
I had no idea The Raven Brothers were on here. I liked them the very first time I heard them and am so glad that Scott has reviewed them. This really is the best place to get real feedback. A fantastic start guys.
All the best
Colin
http://www.corvusstone.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 15:07
Thanks for the encouragement too guys. It is a great start and more reviews will come just keep sending out the music to reviewers here.
The Raven Brothers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 15:57
Thanks for blazing a trail Colin.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 18:13
more reviews coming soonish
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 04:10

New reviews of Raven Brothers songs

‘Product’ -  Delaware Ohio

Oh how I love this instrumental. It just flows along so lucidly like oil paints flowing into one another to create a psychedelic haze. The guitars are beautifully played and a strong bassline is backed by a symmetrical drum pattern. The beat is consistent but the timing changes slightly with the way the guitars play, strummed and chopped at intervals. It sounds like a familiar melody, simple, and yet so original. I really love the atmosphere this generates, and have played it into my memory. Someone send me the tablature – so I can play this on guitar too. Wonderful instrumental.

‘Product’ - It’s 4:20 Everywhere

A dirty fuzzy guitar, a jangly clean guitar, a massive bassline and a steady drum beat make up this instrumental. There are huge string bends mixed in there somewhere, the chord structure is simple but effective. You gotta love that song title. It almost sounds like the whistle of a locomotive on this track. My only qualm is its not long enough.

ST Daddy Rocks/ Goin' Green Skynyrd Concert

This is like a 70s classic rock song, very heavy on guitar riffing, almost reminds me of early Rush or Iron Butterfly. It’s a real rocker and one of the heaviest from the group. Its over in mere moments, but a nice little tune in any case.

GNX 3 – Beyond the Pale

Is this the Procol Harum song covered here? Or is it something else. I didn’t recognise it but its still a great song. Nice to hear some strong vocals from them. This track has psychedelic guitar effect swells and shimmering keyboards. I love that 70s sound. The bass is magnificent and those sporadic drum beats are divine. This is a true highlight of the band’s repertoire.  Listen to it now, proggers on reverbnation. The lead break is spacey as Hackett, and the atmosphere is psych prog bliss.

“Memories coming back... to keep the wolves at bay…. Tell me how did we lose our way….”

ST Dream/ Goin' Green Dream

Another musical piece from the Goin’ Green project. The standout of this track is the strings on keyboards and very strong acoustic picking. The ethereal atmosphere builds slowly and ominously yet there is dark beauty. It is soon over but while it lasts this track has a lot to offer.

New Life Goin’ Green Funeral

Acoustics and harmonica, creating a folk like soundscape, a bleak feeling but in all its downbeat vibe there is a constant building to a crescendo, the ray of hope. The melancholy feel is of course what you might expect at a funeral, and it works rather well in a musical interpretation. You can almost hear the rain cascade down over the mourners as they walk slowly to the grave site. Ashes to ashes dust to dust…

WDP & TRB One Hand

Another Raven Brothers project. The vocals are here and sung well, at times sound like The Residents vocal style strangely enough with equally quirky lyrics. I love the music on this that is western style, Eagles or America spring to mind in sense of the style. There is a great Hammond sound here too and very accomplished playing of lead guitar in the solo. Its kind of a funky beat throughout, very infectious and the lyrics are compelling; “My uncle is a hungry man enormous appetite, …. he was once a fearless man he spoke  for everyone, … one hand on the gun, the jungle of survival the mighty hunter keeps me on the run…” Cool track.

WDP & TRB Bad Move

Pleasant guitar on double acoustics and strong vocals, that remind me this time of Tom Petty. A more commercial sound is present with some cool licks and motifs. Not my favourite style here but it has its place. The words Bad Move are repeated quite a lot as it comes to an eventual end.   

WDP & TRB Dumptrucks

This uptempo track has some endearing lyrics that basically tell the story of children playing where the dumptrucks go. Two little boys playing by the stream where the dumptrucks go, there’s mud in the river and their dreams are washing away with the overflow. Daddy will soon be home so don’t cry, he will wrap his arms around you soon and tonight you wont sleep alone. Three little girls playing where the dumptrucks go are mentioned and finally the daddy himslef driving the dumptruck comes along. Great idea for a song. Driven by this story the song has a lot of appeal and it grows on you with its strong melody and beat.

WDP & TRB Boat Is Rockin’

This one rocks along with an incessant beat and riffing guitars crashing along. Hard rock style throughout, and the lyrics are sung with conviction and emotion. Still sounds like Tom Petty to me, nothing wrong with that. The lyrics mention “you see the sailing ships at night go past, glistening bows, towering masts, the sky was red… salt water on your lips, lying in a puddle alone in your ship, the room starts spinning slowly, sun is shining…., you feel the boat is rockin’…” The music kind of represents the call of boats blasting their whistles as they rock on the ocean waves. Great way to finish these reviews. I hope you can try the band for yourself – its free to hear and its great music!  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 05:37
any more reviews?  check them on reverbnation now
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 04:22

I think they are great

Anyone else?
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 05:05
Big smile
I do too!
How to get people Confused to look at these pages. If they don't, good music just carries on getting lost. Great great Clap music indeed. Release it and then it may get heard at last!
All the best lads.
Colin
http://www.corvusstone.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 03:06
Raven Brothers sent an email round to various reviewers as follows:

Email not displaying correctly? View in browser      Instant Unsubscribe      Report Spam
The Raven Brothers
Rock / Alternative Rock / other
Members: V...Voice +,db... ears +,MM...eyes+
 > PLAY SONGS      > SHARE SONGS      > EXCLUSIVE MUSIC 

Help us celebrate!

GNX-3 is officially done and we're celebrating by offering 500 free downloads to our friends & fans.

We hope you enjoy the album.  Let us know your favorite song and help us decide how to promote.

As always - thanks for listening and helping to spread the word - inviting music lovers/forwarding this email to rich uncles and Industry Execs and telling them to check us out.

Cheers! 

TRB

PRESS CLIPPINGS

"GNX 3 – Beyond the Pale This track has psychedelic guitar effect swells and shimmering keyboards. I love that 70s sound. The bass is magnificent and those sporadic drum beats are divine. This is a true highlight of the band’s repertoire. Listen to it now, proggers on reverbnation. The lead break is spacey as Hackett, and the atmosphere is psych prog bliss. "  Scott Tuffnell, Prog Archives

"WDP & TRB expand the limits of a lyricist's ability to expose their characters with resounding verses and a universal chorus that invites you to dance and sing along. "  GNX-3 Ship's Computer, Data Log Researching early 21st Century Artists

ReverbNation       Myspace       Facebook       YouTube     

WIDGETS (Put our stuff on your web pages and blogs!)

Post Reply Post Reply