Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to Tuvalu from Finland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listen to Tuvalu from Finland
    Posted: October 18 2010 at 06:19
Tuvalu are a Finnish band I just stumbled upon while browsing Prog Archives' 2010 top albums list. I was intrigued enough by the cover art work (I know, how shallow of me...) to listen to their myspace (word of advice: some douche put a comment on their page with horrible sounding music that starts playing automatically as the page loads, so be sure to scroll down to the comments and pause it).

Boy was I pleased and surprised to hear their music! A heavy, sharp sound with catchy tunes.

Here's their PA bio:
The Finnish group TUVALU was formed in 2003, and it?s members are from both cities of Tampere and Helsinki. Annina Antinranta sings, Antti Harmainen plays guitar and the rhythm section is built from Jussi Oskari?s bass guitar and Jussi Matikainen?s drums.

Their strong song writing approach has been strengthened with personal and artistic solutions in the detailed arrangements. Their own sound is quite personal mixture, not focusing directly to any predefined musical fence based on idealistic values. Production quality of the records is professional, but the music is not aimed to the domestic hit radio channels nor maximum sales. Instead they are focusing to artistic expression within heavy art rock concept, drawing elements from vivid array of influences, creating personal and interesting unique concept. Song lengths are extended in some cases, and some compositions from loose concepts by reprising and referring each other. If one would wish to compare their sound to some progressive rock band, maybe the heavy and ambient elements of KING CRIMSON?s post ?Thrak? albums and powerful rhythmic emphasis and sci-fi oriented sounds of RUSH records could be mentioned, also the operatic dramatics of some heavy metal groups and feeling of MARS VOLTA are present in their style. Heavy guitar tones and imaginative assaults of bass and drums weave a web of complex rhythmic labyrinths for the singer to explore. Both dark dystopic visions and burlesque romanticism are united in their aesthetical and thematic ventures. Lady singer?s imaginative and personal lyrics are sung in Finnish, so for global audience their lyrical ideas are probably lost, though not ruining the listening experience I dare to claim. The album titles fit to both their pessimistic style and group name (in English something like "Darkness Encircles Us!", "The Last Moments are Approaching!").

In time of writing this essay the group has released one EP and two studio albums, and their third long player has been announced to be released in 2010. Band is quite active concert giver in Finland, and their music would probably be interesting for fans of non-conventionally rhythmic heavy art rock with a lady singer (either appreciation or toleration of Finnish language is needed).

Eetu Pellonpää

Sources:
http://www.tuvalu.ws/
http://www.myspace.com/tuvaluofficial

This is their discography so far, 1 EP and 3 LP's:

4.00 | 1 ratings
Pimeä saartaa meitä!

4.00 | 1 ratings
Viimeiset hetket ovat käsillä!

5.00 | 1 ratings
Tuvalu

4.00 | 1 ratings
Mitä muut ajattelevat sinusta?

Let me recommend in particular their last s/t album:
Tuvalu Tuvalu album cover
Read the review of my friend Eetu here

Their lineup:
Annina Antinranta -Vocals
Antti Harmainen - Guitar
Jussi Oskari - Bass
Jussi Matikainen - Drums

Here are videos of the band:

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 06:27
Quite good!Clap
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 06:37
Their second album is quite ok, I've also got the first one but I'm not sure if I've ever listened to it. There's some kind of TMV-lite feel that bothers me a bit. I've been meaning to catch them live for a long time, but no luck so far. I hear they're great live.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 12:20
Their MySpace account is unavailble unfortunately. Maybe later... The videos show an interesting band, indeed. 
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 12:51
I found them the same was as you Avestin and listened to the music on their MySpace. I want to buy their music but at this point am waiting until I either have a bit more dough or they're available from a North American distributore; if my memory serves, it was something like $35 to buy it and ship the CD here. 
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 14:02
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

I've been meaning to catch them live for a long time, but no luck so far.

Ok, it's not about luck, I've just been lazy. I've been very aware of their gigs in the area many times, but it's just not happened yet. Their vocalist actually personally handed me a poster for their last Helsinki gig when I was working at the library near to the club they were playing. She seemed very delighted when I exclaimed "Ooh, Tuvalu!" when I unrolled the poster, and when she left I realized who she was Tongue Some day I will catch them.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 14:26
Funny story Pekka.
I got their latest two albums and the last one is better I think (though I need more listens). Very groovy music, great heavy guitars.
Let us know if you do see them live.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 21:14
Bump for more people to discover

Post Reply Post Reply