Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSymphony X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 11:01
Originally posted by progger7 progger7 wrote:

if i can see them again for a second time, i would trade the DVD for that ANYTIME! but, yeah that would be nice. it's about time for them to hop on the DVD wagon. getting one together with their new LP would be EPIC along with the 5.1 mix of course.

I dont think they do many headline shows so any DVD would have to be cobbled together from a tour, which I wouldnt be very interested in.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 14:03
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Love Symphony X

One of my top 5 fav bands!

Can't choose which is my favorite between Divine Wings, The Odyssey, and Paradise Lost.
V is also quite brilliant of course.

I didn't like Paradise Lost at all for some reason.  The Odyssey is very good, but V is probably my favorite.

The album does have a bit of a different sound to it. That's all I can imagine, that style just didn't click.

V is indeed a gem.
HomeNucleonics View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:32
Great band, but a bit too much power metal influences for my taste..think I shall give Paradise Lost and The Odessey another chance..The Mythology Suite and Divine Wings of tragedy are still impresse records in their own right
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire
Islandstone View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 18:14

My favorite band (along with Blind Guardian). Words cannot express how much I love them.
Surely deserves an own thread.

And yeah,V is an incredible album,totally out-of-this-world. It's my favorite SX album,and probably my all-time fav as well. 

Anyone else excited for the new album? Reports say it will be heavy,but very dynamic and progressive as well. It probably won't be released until 2011 though.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 18:53
i like Symphony X. I think V: The New Mythology Suite is their best album, and the only one i can sit straight through and listen to the whole thing. There's something about the guitar tone; it's so.... MEATY!

The Odyssey (song) and The Divine Wings of Tragedy (song) are some of the best prog metal epics ever (also pretty solid albums too)

Paradise Lost is probably my 2nd favorite album by them, after V.

the only one im not too big on is Twilight in Olympus, it reminds me too much of Yngwie Malmsteen, who i used to kind of like, but dont care for nowadays...

Edited by darkshade - October 26 2010 at 18:55
Majesty View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 22:27
So yeah, I'm looking to get into them. (I haven't because I'm poor, and their albums are impossible to find =_=). With which albums should I start with? =P
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 06:17
Well for me, Paradise Lost is a masterpiece and also the easiest album to find. However, if you want to get into the band, then it's not very representative of the rest of their albums, so I think you should go with 'V'.
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

i like Symphony X. I think V: The New Mythology Suite is their best album, and the only one i can sit straight through and listen to the whole thing. There's something about the guitar tone; it's so.... MEATY!

The Odyssey (song) and The Divine Wings of Tragedy (song) are some of the best prog metal epics ever (also pretty solid albums too)

the only one im not too big on is Twilight in Olympus, it reminds me too much of Yngwie Malmsteen, who i used to kind of like, but dont care for nowadays...

i disagree about Twilight in Olympus. while paradise lost is the best produced/mixed album from them, it happens to be in the bottom 2 along with their s/t. i'd choose songs like church of the machine, smoke and mirrors AND lady of the snow over many songs from PL. everything else you said though i agree with.
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:21
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Well for me, Paradise Lost is a masterpiece and also the easiest album to find. However, if you want to get into the band, then it's not very representative of the rest of their albums, so I think you should go with 'V'.

i wouldn't recommend that. it would be spoiling him. i rather have him listen to their other stuff first before V blows his mind away.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:32
Exactly. V is one of my favorite prog metal albums of all time (read: in the top 10 out of many hundreds), but I would always recommend to approach a band by listening to other albums than the ones which are considered to be absolute masterpieces. That way you don't begin listening with such a huge bias in your expectation - and if you like them you still have a lot to discover.

So: Start with Twilight in Olympus.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 13:10
Well anything but their first two, 'Symphony X' and 'The Damnation Game'. They're enough to put anyone off prog/power metal for life!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 16:37
Originally posted by progger7 progger7 wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

i disagree about Twilight in Olympus. while paradise lost is the best produced/mixed album from them, it happens to be in the bottom 2 along with their s/t. i'd choose songs like church of the machine, smoke and mirrors AND lady of the snow over many songs from PL. everything else you said though i agree with.

it might still be the newness of the album (though ive had it for some time now...) but im sure in a few months my opinion might change
ElectricWanderer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 08:04
Symphony X is one of my favourite proggier metal bands. Huge talent in both playing their instruments and song writing. Russell Allen is also a monster of a vocalist and brings an already excellent band to a whole new level. They were excellent live as well when I saw them, topped Dream Theater for me.

Best album... Many people prefer V but I'm maybe more of a fan of Divine Wings. The Odyssey and Twilight in Olympus kick ass as well. Paradise Lost is also solid, the two first albums are a  bit lacking tho as they sound quite muddy. Luckily they took a HUGE step with Divine Wings.
Islandstone View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 22:27

For information about the upcoming album "Iconoclast", see this:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/666421-iconoclast-news-info-thread.html

It's filled with probably all there is to know about the album and the tour they are on.
Artwork, theme, songtitles, interviews, live performance of 2 new songs, as well as the other songs they play on the tour, Quality Live Photos.....lots of good stuff. And it's constantly updated! Not like the missing info we get from Nuclear Blast and the Band Management.

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:24
Symphony X are my second favourite band of all time! I love this band! Amazing music! Incredible musicians!

They played a show about 45 minutes away from me a couple of weeks ago, I didn't find out until a few days after though. Pissed off about that!!! Angry
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:28
My favourite SX album is probably 'Twilight in Olympus'. Here's how I've rated their studio albums:

Symphony X - 3/5
Damnation Game - 4/5
Divine Wings of Tragedy - 5/5
Twilight in Olympus - 5/5
V - 4/5
The Odyssey - 5/5
Paradise Lost - 4/5
TLM170 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 13:45
awesome band! i love all the album except for the first one. it's still good but i have a hard time really appreciating music when the recording is that cheap
Repner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 15:42
Yet to hear the first two.  Love the others.  V is my favourite.  I really like how they decided to post the story on the website.  More bands should do that
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 16:07
I know I'm souped for Iconoclast! 
Rasvamakkara View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 01:02
I used to be a huge fan of Symphony X some years ago, but now I rarely listen to them. I don't like the more metal direction they're going. Their earlier releases (The Damnation Game -> Twilight in Olympus) are much more interesting to me than the newer ones. That said, both V and The Odyssey contain some great  songs. Paradise Lost I've always found to be boring. I hope the new album tones the metal down a bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>