Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Pavlov's Dog album! I'm totally serious!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Pavlov's Dog album! I'm totally serious!
    Posted: October 22 2010 at 18:54
Okay, so has anybody heard Pavlov's Dog's new(!) release, Echo and Boo?  Apparently it was released on October 10th; I'm checking out the track samples on iTunes as I type this.  Sounds...remarkably good, actually.  I've always loved this odd little band, even their terrible, terrible 1990 album.  Amazing to hear them again after all this time, sounding rejuvinated.

Anyone else excited and/or shocked?
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 02:58
I know nothing about this band but I thought I would check the samples. Some of it sounds interesting especially the instrumental stuff. To my ears some of the songs sound like a weird incarnation of The Pogues!
btw its also available for download off Amazon for £6.99 which is a bit cheaper than iTunes. Doubt whether I will go for it although I'm a tiny bit tempted.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 03:31
Just checking the samples on iTunes. First impression is that it's not as progressive as it used to be, and that David Surkamp's voice hasn't matured as well as Geddy Lee's. Going to get it to check it out further though.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 16:29
I hadn't noticed earlier, but the first track, Angeline could very well be a reincarnation of Sylvia's Mother by Dr. Hook.... I'll have to add that in an eventual review.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:16
^^^ Richard, I think you'd be better spending your hard-earned on Pampered Menial. One of my favourite albums, Surkamp's vibrato might not be to everyone's taste but shouldn't be a major problem as you like Rush. You can listen to the whole album on YT, here's a wee taster:

Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:18
No doubt that Pampered Menial is their masterpiece.  Anyone interested in PD should start at the beginning, and probably skip over the regrettable Lost In America all together.  The unreleased album Third is also really really good, to my ears at least.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:25
Yep, the first two albums are the dog's... if you pardon the pun, but I like the third one too even though it is a bit poppy. Thumbs Up 
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:28
I hear the last one is rubbish, but if the new one is half as good as the old ones, that would be fantastic!

Any samples around to do some ear-ploughing?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:36
I just listened through the last one. Will write a short review some time next week (if I don't forget). but it's 1 star, maybe 2 if I have a nice bottle of wine at hand. It's got nothing to do with prog, more a pop/rock/folk album, and not a very good one at that.

I'll stick with the first two - for which my reviews and ratings still apply for the full 101%.
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply