Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho IS Frank Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 40>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 21:21
NEWS!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 21:25
I guess I don't understand that news. haha. 6/21/13 was last month.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 21:33
Like all things with the Zappa Family Trust, another deadline has come and gone with no new album release.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 21:34
I really hope the ZFT has big things planned for 2013, it IS the 20th anniversary of Frank's passing. They should really release something great to commemorate all FZ brought to the musical world. Roxy By Proxy and/or Dance Me This would be pretty appropriate.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 22:16
DMT would be sexual in all the right ways.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 00:15
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I really hope the ZFT has big things planned for 2013, it IS the 20th anniversary of Frank's passing. They should really release something great to commemorate all FZ brought to the musical world. Roxy By Proxy and/or Dance Me This would be pretty appropriate.

Wow, it's been 20 years?  I can honestly say of all the musicians I've loved over the years who we've lost, none left me with a hole in my heart as large as FZ's passing did.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 10:55
They seem to wait until late in the year to release stuff.

ZPZ is playing the Roxy & Elsewhere set on tour (I have tickets to the Boston show in December). With the very expensive individual distribution packages for the Roxy video being sold, that bodes well for it's release. Nonetheless, I won't hold my breath.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:47
Frank's B-day and D-day are both in December, and most albums have been getting released in November/December, so it makes sense.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:03
And summer hardly starts ... Unhappy
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:10
It's cool. I'm on down time with Zappa's music. It may last the entire summer, though the last thing I listened to was CPIII, very fitting end to a 8 month, almost endless, Zappa marathon.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:37
You're right. Me too. I ordered CPIII two days ago. Not sure it's a good one for the beach Big smile.
Good summer !
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:40
Disc one, I thought, was amazing. It's Jazz From Hell taken to a whole new level (and better sound)

Disc two, I thought, was also good, but it left me feeling a little depressed, for obvious reasons, both musically, and the circumstances surrounding the album, especially the last 2 tracks.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 18:08
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Disc one, I thought, was amazing. It's Jazz From Hell taken to a whole new level (and better sound)

Disc two, I thought, was also good, but it left me feeling a little depressed, for obvious reasons, both musically, and the circumstances surrounding the album, especially the last 2 tracks.

Similar for me.  I rate Disc 1 at 5 stars, but Disc 2 only 1..though I love the "This ain't CNN" routine on disc 2 LOL
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 11:44
Last week I picked up the Honker Home Video DVD of "A Token Of His Extreme", from a TV show Frank made in 1974. There are some unauthorized released, probably taken from European broadcasts of the show, but this one, released by the ZFT, has been remastered from the original tapes.

I've watched a bit of it, and FZ's editing is annoying, often not following the musicians' actions (watching Napoleon wander around the stage while Ruth is playing a solo). There is quite a bit of frenetic editing interspersing Bickford's animation. I like his work, but I'd rather see the band.

Joe Travers did an excellent job on the sound.

Oh, and there is an excellent bonus of FZ appearing on the Mike Douglas show. Besides the interview, where he keeps Jimmy Walker laughing (Kenny Rogers is the third guest, how's that for a weird lineup?), FZ plays "Black Napkins" on his SG through a pignose amp, backed up by Douglas' orchestra.

Edited by Evolver - July 17 2013 at 11:46
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 15:44
Roxy By Proxy is coming out in September!!!

Pre-order:
http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=971_62209
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 16:34
Interesting.  This looks like the soundtrack to the eventual DVD, is that right?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 23:18
That's what I'm guessing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 05:50
I can't remember where I heard the 'diploma smoking' act - I just can't pinpoint it out of all the Zappa things I have - I think it's on a DVD but it's just lost on me now.........Confused
Also have to say, Cruising With Ruben has some gems - Deseri, Later That Night, Fountain Of Love to name just 3.  Neil Sedaka, eat your heart out LOL..............
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 07:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I can't remember where I heard the 'diploma smoking' act - I just can't pinpoint it out of all the Zappa things I have - I think it's on a DVD but it's just lost on me now.........Confused
Also have to say, Cruising With Ruben has some gems - Deseri, Later That Night, Fountain Of Love to name just 3.  Neil Sedaka, eat your heart out LOL..............
The "diploma smoking" bit is from "Dummy Up" on the Roxy and Elsewhere album.

In other news, I finally got "Finer Moments" for my birthday last month, and it's a fine release.  Since I've heard so much live stuff from the late 60s/early 70s already (via unofficial live tapes), there were few surprises, and of course most of the "new titles" were actually alternate live versions of existing pieces (e.g. Uncle Rhebus = live arrangement of King Kong, beginning just after the statement of the main theme, just before the long jam section).  But Zappa's editing skills have made it a good, solid flowing album.  On the minus side, I never really saw the point of releasing the "Mozart Ballet" event (prev released on YCDTOSA 5) on an album -- without the visuals you've basically got Ian Underwood playing some classical piano that wasn't even composed by Frank, interspersed with noises and laughter at visual jokes that we can't see.

It would be interesting to think how this album would have rated at the time, had it been released as originally planned in the early 70s.

Edited by HolyMoly - August 06 2013 at 07:29
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 15:33
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

The "diploma smoking" bit is from "Dummy Up" on the Roxy and Elsewhere album.

In other news, I finally got "Finer Moments" for my birthday last month, and it's a fine release.  Since I've heard so much live stuff from the late 60s/early 70s already (via unofficial live tapes), there were few surprises, and of course most of the "new titles" were actually alternate live versions of existing pieces (e.g. Uncle Rhebus = live arrangement of King Kong, beginning just after the statement of the main theme, just before the long jam section).  But Zappa's editing skills have made it a good, solid flowing album.  On the minus side, I never really saw the point of releasing the "Mozart Ballet" event (prev released on YCDTOSA 5) on an album -- without the visuals you've basically got Ian Underwood playing some classical piano that wasn't even composed by Frank, interspersed with noises and laughter at visual jokes that we can't see.

It would be interesting to think how this album would have rated at the time, had it been released as originally planned in the early 70s.

I treat Finer Moments like Lather, a collection of mostly previously released material, but in a way that was originally intended, different to what eventually was released. Though not as great as Lather, FM is a great album to listen to late at night.Smoke However, I like the first disc more than the second.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 40>