Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins says something I didn't expect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 14:52
Not terribly surprising.  His favorite track on <b>Lamb</b> is "The Waiting Room."  Phil is a man with eclectic taste who happens to have little taste when writing music on his own.
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 14:55
So Phil woke up a couple of weeks ago and declared that " Supper's Ready" was the defining Genesis song. Let's bash him in the forums, how very progressive of usShocked

He can change his mind can't he? Approve
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 14:59
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Oh well, more Phil bashing.

Lest we forget, he was the drummer in one of the all time (some say ALL TIME) greatest prog bands of all time, and was, latterly, the singer and a writer. In other words, an integral part of the band, not a bit part player.

Why the hell wouldn't he be proud of this song and of his band?
Phil
 [On bands copying Genesis]:" I wouldn`t wish it upon anybody to try and be successful in this day and age being a parody of a band nobody likes anyway."

He's right, in the context of the modern music media, surely?

These days, you need to be a bunch of goons paradying a pile of crap on Simon Cowell's shows, mumble obscenities into a mic, or pretend you're hard and indy in order to get any publicity or mass record sales. You wouldn't get that by copying Genesis, I'm afraid. That's why a lot of modern prog is called "cult" by the media.

Thus, this was a comment on the media, not his band.

Give the guy a break, eh?
ClapClapClap

Poor guy can't even have a sense of humourLOL
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 15:24
Yeah lets not forget his love of fusion and Brand X either.  The guy has many facets to his style.  I don't care one way or the other what he has said at any given time. He has a right to his own opinion  whether or not the few thousand prog fans in the world agree with it  and he also has a right to change his point of view as well.  Sometimes this place is just too judgmental. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 15:30
Hi,

I would think that if there was one thing that he probably appreciated ... that got his band to where it did ... yep ... it was "Supper's Ready".

I don't see anything bad or suspicious about his comment ... and he might have already been prompted about the question ... meaning hte older Genesis ... the one that people remember and love deeply and still talk about in here ... you wouldn't imagine that he doesn't know that?

He knows ... and he does peruse the internet enough to know about the "progressive" music thing and how the early Genesis was such a big part of it. He's not stupid.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 16:12
Are you sure he didn't say "Supper Can't Dance" ?  or maybe "Sussudio's Ready"?   LOL
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 16:41

Lest we forget, he was the drummer in one of the all time (some say ALL TIME) greatest prog bands of all time, and was, latterly, the singer and a writer. In other words, an integral part of the band, not a bit part player.

Well, even though many folks consider his band to be ''one of the all time greatest prog bands of all time'', as you so poetically put it, that doesn't mean he has to think so himself, and based on other stuff he's said in the past, it would be seem he doesn't. That's why this new quote might sound surprising/suspicious to a few people. Of course Phil is allowed to change his mind, but a lot of what he says never lines up over the course of all the related quotes he's made.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 16:46
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Phil
 [On bands copying Genesis]:" I wouldn`t wish it upon anybody to try and be successful in this day and age being a parody of a band nobody likes anyway."

Nobody ever liked Genesis. They have ever had poor album sales untill Selling England, which sold about 100k in the UK, being that the only place with significant album sales by that band. They took 8/9 years to have their breakthough album and from it they went downhill, so I guess he's right.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 16:56
^ Hell, I still don't like Genesis nearly as much as the other bands that were around at the time. If you want an example of a prog act that was actually really well-known while they were still being innovative, look no further than Yes, ''The people's band''. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 17:02

He's right, in the context of the modern music media, surely?

These days, you need to be a bunch of goons paradying a pile of crap on Simon Cowell's shows, mumble obscenities into a mic, or pretend you're hard and indy in order to get any publicity or mass record sales. You wouldn't get that by copying Genesis, I'm afraid. That's why a lot of modern prog is called "cult" by the media.

[/QUOTE]

well that depends on which part /era of Genesis you are copying Wink the 80s new wave heaven or the 70s prog rock heaven, and many of the songs on the Lamb are pretty meldodic and catchy (like It, the Carpet Crawlers, Lilywhite Lilith, Antway, Cuckoo cocoon) I am pretty sure many of those songs have influenced modern pop music.

the melody of It is very infectious melodie  
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 17:14
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

[QUOTE=Blacksword] I guess he just prefers performing Motown music. I quite like Motown, but when Collins re-works those old classics, it just doesn't work for me at all. They are pale and weak immitations of how that music should be performed and produced.

Good to see you on here again Simon. Hope all is well sir.

Fine and dandy mate. Still fighting the good fight I see. Big smile
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 21:02
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

After all he said in the 80's and 90's, I don't believe him.

His contradictions already posted of past threads are legendary.

Iván
well he isn't perfect!Embarrassed
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 21:22

It's not bashing, is remembering the history.

He said that he never understood The Lamb (when his pop stuff was at the peak) and years later when his pop Genesis was dead he said The Lamb was his favorite album.

He said in Genesis a History that he was happy when Punk came, shake the tree and all the bands fell like bad apples (SIC), then years later he says he's proud of what they did on the early days.

He auditioned for Yes and wasn't accepted (Yes lost), then he said clearly that he never liked Yes and now says that Yes musicians are virtuoso.

Bashing would be insulting him, remembering what he said and how critic he was about Prog and now he wants to gain old fans again.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 21:33
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Nobody ever liked Genesis. They have ever had poor album sales untill Selling England, which sold about 100k in the UK, being that the only place with significant album sales by that band. They took 8/9 years to have their breakthough album and from it they went downhill, so I guess he's right.

Seems you don't know about Italy and Belgium,Trespass was N° 1 in Belgium, Nursery Cryme was N N° 4 in Italy and Foxtrot was N° 1 in Italy.

So UK was not the only place with significant sales in the world.

Iván

BTW: Genesis Live (released before SEBTP) was in the charts of UK, keeping N° 9 for 10 weeks

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 21:40
Indifferent to what Phil says, he's the best, Of course he was better as a solo artist, but he doesn't deny his participation in Genesis and even has positive remarks on it. So God bless Phill.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 21:51
is it true all this stuff you guys are writing about Phill? I am a pretty huge Genesis fan since I was 14 Years. I had never read numerous and I even have few Genesis Documentary  on videos Have a Genesis  boigraphy and I still haven''t ready anything Phil said bashing early Genesis prog  albums. Totally the opossite.
can you guys post the link of these interviews?
ohh the only think I remember he said was that they were tired of playing long songs and old songs. That The band needed to change their  direction. that all!
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 00:58
Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

is it true all this stuff you guys are writing about Phill? I am a pretty huge Genesis fan since I was 14 Years. I had never read numerous and I even have few Genesis Documentary  on videos Have a Genesis  boigraphy and I still haven''t ready anything Phil said bashing early Genesis prog  albums. Totally the opossite.
can you guys post the link of these interviews?
ohh the only think I remember he said was that they were tired of playing long songs and old songs. That The band needed to change their  direction. that all!

Most of this interviews are very old and no longer available, for example the first Genesis and Phil Collins sites  has been transformed and several interviews vanished.

Only found one quotes:

Quote  You put Genesis over there in a corner with Yes, ELP, Moody Blues and the Floyd (Pink Floyd) because that`s the period we happened to come up in. I don`t like any of those groups - so it angers me and frustrates me when we get compared to them.

I believe you will find several good opinions about Yes after 2000.

But if you want to listen some of his most acid perception about Genesis and Prog, you can get "GENESIS A HISTORY" DVD...There he speaks a lot of harsh things about Prog and old Genesis.

Iván

BTW: I can correct myself when I found something I was wrong, seems that Phil always had a soft spot for Supper's Ready and specially for Apocalypse in 9/8, but he has said some very hard things.

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 01:03

Seems you don't know about Italy and Belgium,Trespass was N° 1 in Belgium, Nursery Cryme was N N° 4 in Italy and Foxtrot was N° 1 in Italy.

Iván

BTW: Genesis Live (released before SEBTP) was in the charts of UK, keeping N° 9 for 10 weeks

I knew through PA that Genesis were more popular in Italy than in UK but never knew how much popular were they. Thanks for the info! Trespass being Nº1 in a country makes me smile.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 06:35
I accept the possibility that in hindsight he may have come around and changed his attitude to the old Genesis stuff, but in an interview for a Genesis retrospective, back when they were in their pop phase, all of the notorious three were very dismissive to the old fans.   I can kind of understand it because a lot of old fans were dismissive of the newer Genesis stuff.  I took an interest in the band right after Hackett left and stayed with them for a while, getting their new albums, but eventually got tired of them.  I never got the Mama album and Invisible Touch would be last one I would get when it first came out.  To date I've only replaced my vinyls up to and including Abacab.  I did try Calling All Stations, but only because the CDs are available really cheap.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 07:05

Iván

Yes, I knew that Iván, but for some reason selling 100k copies in the UK surpassed all of their album sales combined at the time. Same with Trick of the Tail selling 500k in the US. Hmm, for some reason I think the US and the UK album sales are more significant than all the countries you pointed. People simply buy more records there, period.

Hell, Dream Theater charted amongst the 10 bes selling artists in many many countries of the world when Black Clouds was releasd and they weren't even able to sell 1m albums world wide. Actually, I domn't even think they sold 500k, but anyway, Genesis simply could not sell albums during their prime man, deal with it. Very few bands can, there is no problem with it.

Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

^ Hell, I still don't like Genesis nearly as much as the other bands that were around at the time. If you want an example of a prog act that was actually really well-known while they were still being innovative, look no further than Yes, ''The people's band''. 

Same with me, their so-called "acclaimed" prog releases are'nt my cup of tea also, though i really really LOVE TResspass and Nursery Crime. ELP also sold millions upon millions back in the day (even more than Yes I think), both rightfully.

Edited by CCVP - October 28 2010 at 07:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>