Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins says something I didn't expect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 18:58
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Yeah, close study of Phil Collins will suggest the guy is very calculating. He knows that history treats his prog output much kinder than his pop output. I wouldn't put it past him for that to be a disingenuous answer in order to make critics and the old guard feel more kindly towards him.

This old guard feels kindly towards him regardless. When you've done what he'd done in his former band's peak years with Brand X on top of that, why would you give diddly what anyone else says. Now if Phil can only hold a wife (that's the real trick).
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Back to PC's original quote though - this is a classic example of why Collins should retain respect:

Honestly...I can't stand this version, Phil's voice is flat and boring.

Iván
Almost as good as the originalClap. I would go one step further and say that Second's Out knocks the socks off Live IMHO
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2010 at 08:34
^ Absolutely agree. The first boxset is the definitive live set of that era, whilst Seconds Out is a definitive live album full stop.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Norman Kiddie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 13:27
SmileWell said LAZLAND, he was not only a drummer but an integral part of progressive rock history.
I feel he did a great job of filling an unfillable role after Gabriel left. He gave us The Trick and Wind & Wuthering. The rest was never my thing and probably never will be. Iīll take the memories, be proud of the fact that I was lucky enough to see Phil and Pete lay down their Supperīs Ready for generations to come.
We would be fools to underestimate just how good Phil Collins was. The drums on Selling England are
sensational and being a Brand X fan have never been fool enough to rub this manīs nose in the dirt.
Phil failed to capture his progressive fab clubīs fascination with his more commercial adventures, but if
we are honest he gave a totally different audience years of enjoyable sing along pop.
I am sure Phil Collins has an incredible amount of respect fro his former band members and that Supperīs Ready is his favourite.
Norm

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 18:57

I don't think that anyone is refuting Phil's influence and place in prog history.  I think people are offended that he threw the genre under the proverbial bus when he was on top of his game saleswise.  Anything for a sale....anything for attention, the guy's always been starved for it.  That's the reason for his comments on Supper's Ready....the re-remasters are due soon and Phil the Shill is out to sell us yet another copy of Foxtrot.

Never claimed that Phil didn't have the music in him.....just annoyed that he denies his legacy in favor of Soo-soo-psudo Motown trash.  I remember the scared little rat on the Arsenio show covering his tracks after the "dark" comment on the Grammy awards show in the mid-90s.  He also went on Leno and kissed arse....anything for sales. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 14:28
Well, I gotta say that Seconds Out is possibly the most boring live album I've ever heard, and I love 70's Genesis.  Live is far better, with the Rainbow 73 show surpassing even that.  I've never cared for Collins singing the Gabriel stuff, though he does make a valiant effort to sound like PG.  Seconds Out just lacks any energy or excitement whatsoever.  The 1976 recording is much better, but still a step below Live and Rainbow 73.

As to Phil's comment, good for him, I agree completely ClapWink

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I don't think that anyone is refuting Phil's influence and place in prog history.  I think people are offended that he threw the genre under the proverbial bus when he was on top of his game saleswise. 

I don't think it was so much a matter of being thrown under the bus as being peed on. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 21:00
Collins has won my respect as a musician. I think he puts a good amount of thought and respect into all of his music. He is very genuine. You can hear it in Trick of A Tail, and you can hear it in Both Sides, you can hear it in Invisible Touch and you can hear it in No Jacket Required.

I like his attitude and am comfortable with his decisions. I see what's great in Invisible Touch alongside what is drab or awful. Similarly, I appreciate even his least proggy endeavors, like his new album, Going Back, which is a very fun album.

Edit: As a note, compare to the boring pretentiousness of Peter Gabriel, who has not lot to say but a lot of props to say it with.

Edited by RoyFairbank - November 04 2010 at 21:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234