29 [17.16%]
7 [4.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiohead vs. Pink Floyd vs. Tool vs. Opeth
    Posted: November 28 2012 at 22:28
Originally posted by QuestionableScum QuestionableScum wrote:

In other words you are frightened of the fact that people have different taste than you. haha

Different, I can understand. Opeth, I cannot. :P

Edited by Sumdeus - November 28 2012 at 22:28
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Tathastu - funky/bluesy rockin' psych jams
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 17:47
It seems like Porcupine Tree would belong in this lot. Either way I would choose Pink Floyd, but it would at least be a harder decision.
"It's these little things, they can pull you under. Live your life full of joy and wonder. I always knew this altogether thunder, was lost in our little lives.
Oooooh, ooh, sweetness follows.”
—R.E.M.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 17:33
Come on, Radiohead fanbase! You can do it, little buddy! But, seriously, Radiohead.
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuestionableScum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 16:30
Opeth for me predominantly because of Blackwater Park, Still Life, and Morningrise.

I have a ton of respect for Pink Floyd, and I really like them, but I have never been blown away by their music.

Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

PF is my favorite band ever while my feelings on the other three range from "they're ok" to "wow this is bad" so don't even have to think about this one. really though, I'm frightened of the fact that people would pick Opeth over Floyd

In other words you are frightened of the fact that people have different taste than you. haha

Edited by QuestionableScum - November 22 2012 at 16:36
Koffing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 16:10
Radiohead is hardly progressive...experimental, yes (and they DID make Kid A and OK Computer) but that isn't enough to compare them to prog bands such as Tool, Opeth, or Floyd...

Tool is comprised of very talented people (even if elitists refuse to acknowledge that due to their popularity) and have made 4 solid albums. They definitely pushed progressive rock/metal into the mainstream, allowing a broader audience to discover bands like Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Opeth, etc. Lateralus and Aenima are both brilliant albums - I'd say both are better than Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries.

Opeth is a fantastic band - Mikael Akerfeldt is an incredible vocalist. BWP and GR are two amazing albums, but I disagree with those who claim they overtake Tool's masterpieces.

And then Pink Floyd. Why even put them here? There's no point. If it was Opeth, Tool, and Radiohead, there may have been some competition - but putting the very GODS of music in a poll with three bands that made some good music is pointless.

I know this isn't well written, but I just wanted to give my two cents on each of their stances.
Peace
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 08:05
Four of my favourite bands. Thanks for providng a choose all option!
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 07:30
I would be a heretic. Voted for Opeth Smile

Edited by ole-the-first - November 06 2012 at 07:30
This night wounds time.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 07:15
Pink Floyd cant lose against that lot
Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 22:37
Pink Floyd all the way long

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 21:21
PF is my favorite band ever while my feelings on the other three range from "they're ok" to "wow this is bad" so don't even have to think about this one. really though, I'm frightened of the fact that people would pick Opeth over Floyd
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 21:09
lol
yes, all of them are to a point
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 21:08
Would you say any of them are overrated? Big smile

(runs away and hides)
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 21:05
None of these bands are my favorite, really, but Pink Floyd has some prettty good stuff
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 23:43
I'd say it's pretty equal for me, throughout all these bands. I've never been a huge Floyd guy and I've really learned to appreciate and respect Radiohead over the years.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - August 19 2012 at 23:44
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 18:58
Pink Floyd and Opeth are tied for me.. I don't like the other bands at all.
mohaveman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 15:34
Floyd
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 07:24
OPETH!!!
Rapataz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapataz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 12:54
Albums like Meddle, Atom heart mother and Umma gumma are next to impossible to beat
... on the other hand...
imagine the poll would be "post-wish you were here-Pink floyd" against the other bands...
I would go for the other three...
Opeth, Radiohead and Tool all showed a great consistency, creating new & interesting stuff along their career without making any bad albums.

But, of course that's not the question
www.myspace.com/rasayanaband
(De)progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (De)progressive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 13:35
Pink Floyd=>Radiohead>>Opeth>>>Tool
''Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment.'' (Friedrich Nietzsche)

idiotPrayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idiotPrayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 13:09
well it feels sort of silly to choose radiohead over pink floyd but at the end of the day, when it all comes down to my individual music enjoyment radiohead IS better. pink floyd is certainly fantastic and superinfluential but i enjoy the musical qualities of radiohead more.

oh yeah, tool and opeth are great too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic